Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Choco2607

Its funny to see the usual people fanning the flames and making statements of fact based on their assumptions.

Tone it down a bit lads. Your waiting to become firefighters not solicitors.

Round of applause for that man! If your up on a murder charge, your not getting in, if you where caught doing 58km/h in a 50. Relax you'll get in! On a brighter note, has anyone had any dramas with the Medicals to date? Everyone pass ok? My medial is not until next week, hate the waiting game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭IT_wannabe

Choco2607 wrote: »
    Round of applause for that man! If your up on a murder charge, your not getting in, if you where caught doing 58km/h in a 50. Relax you'll get in! On a brighter note, has anyone had any dramas with the Medicals to date? Everyone pass ok? My medial is not until next week, hate the waiting game.

Did the medical yesterday. Eyes, ears, lungs, bloods and immunisations all done with the nurse. Quick look over by the doc and that's the height of it. No big snags with it, standard medical. Unless you have any serious medical issues you should be all good in the hood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Grahamfire

IT_wannabe wrote: »
    Did the medical yesterday. Eyes, ears, lungs, bloods and immunisations all done with the nurse. Quick look over by the doc and that's the height of it. No big snags with it, standard medical. Unless you have any serious medical issues you should be all good in the hood

What did the lung test entail

Grahamfire wrote: »
    What did the lung test entail

A spirometer test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Robbie154

Thanks for that, when you say bloods, was it actual blood tests or blood pressure?

Quick look over by the doc, was that stripped down to the boxers or......? What did that entail

• Advertisement

Robbie154 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, when you say bloods, was it actual blood tests or blood pressure?

Quick look over by the doc, was that stripped down to the boxers or......? What did that entail

Blood pressure and blood tests. No it was more of a mobility test by the doc to test for joint/muscle pain or restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Jpm_24

Blood pressure and blood tests. No it was more of a mobility test by the doc to test for joint/muscle pain or restrictions.

Are you told right after your medical if you passed or not or do you have to wait a few days till your notified of the results?
    What do the blood tests test for, is there a urine test too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭honreal

Jpm_24 wrote: »
    Are you told right after your medical if you passed or not or do you have to wait a few days till your notified of the results?
    What do the blood tests test for, is there a urine test too?

You are pretty much told that everything is ok when seeing the doc. He will review your medical questionnaire and go over all your results from that day. If something is a problem it will be discussed.

Urine sample taken to test for a range of drugs. Bloods for me was to check my hep a and b vaccination levels.

There really isn't much to the medical. Unless your vision is bad, hearing is bunched or you have dabbled in drugs in the last few months and you don't have something glaringly obvious like diabetes or severe medical history then you will sail on bye.

All the staff are really nice and want to pass you. don't be worrying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭stringbox

I have a little bit of hearing damage from shooting I wonder if that would make a difference.

• Advertisement

stringbox wrote: »
    I have a little bit of hearing damage from shooting I wonder if that would make a difference.

Nobody could tell you the answer to that. Go in and give it your best. after that there's nothing you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭thatboy1

Have they had to dip past the initial 50 yet?

honreal wrote: »
    There really isn't much to the medical. Unless your vision is bad, hearing is bunched or you have dabbled in drugs in the last few months and you don't have something glaringly obvious like diabetes or severe medical history then you will sail on bye.

All the staff are really nice and want to pass you. don't be worrying.
    What was involved in the eye test ?

What was involved in the eye test ?

http://nowscape.com/suck/images/drivers_license_TITMUS_vision_tester.jpg

thats the machine or one very similar. read out a load of letters in both the left and then the right eye. they flash some lights to test peripheral vision and then one or two other tests.

they then do the colour blind test using ischara plates. theres prob about 12-15 of them or there abouts.

http://nowscape.com/suck/images/drivers_license_TITMUS_vision_tester.jpg

thats the machine or one very similar. read out a load of letters in both the left and then the right eye. they flash some lights to test peripheral vision and then one or two other tests.

they then do the colour blind test using ischara plates. theres prob about 12-15 of them or there abouts.
    Thanks for info !

Thanks for info !

No problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭JDigweed

Any mention of laser eye treatment on eyes?

JDigweed wrote: »
    Any mention of laser eye treatment on eyes?

No nothing at all but the doc does shine a light into the eyes and has a very quick look with the magnifying instrument with a torch on the end - same one used to look into the ears and mouth, what he is looking for I couldn't tell you.

The nurse defo doesn't check anything else other than can you read the letters in the viewfinder, focus test, and colour blind test and the periphery test.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭jim bo c

Just heard today from friend in dfb that 2 of people from first class of fifty have asked to go second class and that sum people might have failed so they are working there way thru d list any body else hear anything ?? How did medical go for anybody who has done it ?

A few lads/ladies in the early 50's could be getting a call up if people keep dropping off like that.

• Advertisement

jim bo c wrote: »
    Just heard today from friend in dfb that 2 of people from first class of fifty have asked to go second class and that sum people might have failed so they are working there way thru d list any body else hear anything ?? How did medical go for anybody who has done it ?

Higher badge numbers for all so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭thatboy1

How does deferring work? Do you go to the end of panel or just number 1 for next class?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Chungwun

thatboy1 wrote: »
    How does deferring work? Do you go to the end of panel or just number 1 for next class?

Going by past history they traditionally go to the top of the next class

Chungwun, can I ask how you found the CPAT test and the other physical assessments? did you find them easier/harder than expected? and will they tell you if you passed/failed?

Chungwun, can I ask how you found the CPAT test and the other physical assessments? did you find them easier/harder than expected? and will they tell you if you passed/failed?

CPAT wasn't around when I came in. Did the other usual physical tests. But relax, don't start going down the same road again with this in regards the eye test, the medicals, etc.

Every assessment is very much achievable by all shapes and sizes. You will have the lads there to help you thru it all the way. They want you to pass at this stage, too much time and money wasted if you fail.

Yeah as far as I know you'll be told there and then for the cpat because if you fail it you get another chance as far as I know.

On a side note, the current class are passing out this week. Always a great event to see.

Chungwun are they doing away with the traditional black turnout gear in DFB or is the yellow coloured gear used only by recruits?
    I noticed it in the OBI.

Chungwun are they doing away with the traditional black turnout gear in DFB or is the yellow coloured gear used only by recruits?
    I noticed it in the OBI.

Yeah we are currently transitioning over to the Gold fire gear. HQ has just been done and rest will be rolled out by station so you'll notice mixed fire gear for the next few months at least.

New gear given to the recruits straight away. No point in having black turnout gear then changing it in a few months

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭TJHooker2016

I noticed it in the OBI.

yes, gold will be the new colour and new gallet style helmets too

Has anyone got their date for the CPAT yet? Proposed start date is a week tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Just checking out the DFB twitter page. Some great snaps of Class 1 passing out day.
    I notice it says 14 weeks training. Are they doing the Paramedic training at a later date or is it away from the OBI.

Advertisement