Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭IT_wannabe

honreal wrote: »
    Yeah so Brian was saying that day in the OBI. He said he wants to give everyone 1 months notice before the start date.

Do you reckon we will get the gold PPE when we get there or is that at the end of training?

From day 1 according to the guy that was sizing us up. Hopefully we do get it straight away, it'll be well broken in by the time we get stationed then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭honreal

IT_wannabe wrote: »
    From day 1 according to the guy that was sizing us up. Hopefully we do get it straight away, it'll be well broken in by the time we get stationed then

I would imagine they wont let us ruin the gear during BA or other messy training like when the foam and sewer crawls are thrown at us. I heard we will do most of that training in the black gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭thesamster

Do we sign in OBI or DCC offices . Heard of a few that failed . You have to feel bad for them . Will the contracts be emailed this week to look over .

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Johner1982

thesamster wrote: »
    Do we sign in OBI or DCC offices . Heard of a few that failed . You have to feel bad for them . Will the contracts be emailed this week to look over .

Where did they fail?

You would have to wonder why they failed? If it's medical then fair enough that's unfortunate but they at the same time probably would have known they had something wrong with them that excludes them but the physical side is something that's completely in your own hands. They provided videos so it was no surprise on the day except maybe the CPAT which was misleading in the video and is actually one continuous test timed.

in my opinion all the tests were very fair and the guys were very welcoming.

• Advertisement

I believe the retained when into DCC offices on the quays but I would say for a class of this size it's all done in obi on first day. I think contracts are only sent out when your second reference is validated.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cathalmonk

I believe the retained when into DCC offices on the quays but I would say for a class of this size it's all done in obi on first day. I think contracts are only sent out when your second reference is validated.

Do they ask you for your references again or do they use the names you gave before the interview?

We filled out another reference form after the interview if I remember correctly, it was with the provisional offer of employment. You had to nominate your current employer AND a previous employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cathalmonk

We filled out another reference form after the interview if I remember correctly, it was with the provisional offer of employment. You had to nominate your current employer AND a previous employer.

Thanks for that. I'm just wondering as I should be in the second class and one of the references I put down before the interview needs to be changed as he's now left.

cathalmonk wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I'm just wondering as I should be in the second class and one of the references I put down before the interview needs to be changed as he's now left.

There's plenty of communications back and forth once the ball gets moving so you will be grand. HR will make sure you know whats happening at all times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭thesamster

They failed the equipment carrying test . Hard luck on them . Don't know how many but a few did fail . I was told by a family member that there sister failed

They failed the equipment carrying test . Hard luck on them . Don't know how many but a few did fail . I was told by a family member that there sister failed

That's harsh poor buggers. Wonder what way that leaves the panel. I was told the whole 150 would be used up. But with people falling at medical n cpat who knows. Inmo I think they shoulda done physical earlier to illuminate those not capable. But that's just my opinion.

Johner1982 wrote: »
    That's harsh poor buggers. Wonder what way that leaves the panel. I was told the whole 150 would be used up. But with people falling at medical n cpat who knows. Inmo I think they shoulda done physical earlier to illuminate those not capable. But that's just my opinion.

I agree with you Johner1982, physicals should have been done immediately after interviews. It would have given people in the 51-100 group a chance to get pulled into the first class if people failed.

I agree with you Johner1982, physicals should have been done immediately after interviews. It would have given people in the 51-100 group a chance to get pulled into the first class if people failed.

Absolutely pal, with the requirements of the job and all. I assume the medical is first to make sure recruits are healthy to take part in cpat and I get that but must be heart breaking getting to the last hurldle and getting turned away. Physical strength is something that can be worked on but I suppose that's the hard reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Squirrelsnuts

Those that failed the cpat/physicals, are they gone completely or will they get another chance when the next class comes round?
    I think if you went down on the Medicals depending on what it was you'd get another chance for next class.

Those that failed the cpat/physicals, are they gone completely or will they get another chance when the next class comes round?
    I think if you went down on the Medicals depending on what it was you'd get another chance for next class.

As far as I know if you fail, you fail and that's it. Which is fair enough I think. Obviously if it was a medical thing that the person was unaware of then that's unfortunate and they can't be blamed for it. But if someone failed on the CPAT then I see that as a lack of preparation. Everyone had the same info going into it and the same time to prepare for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭JDigweed

What exactly was involved in the cpat.....I've seen a few videos online but all from American fire departments.
    Waking on a stairmaster with a weighted vest
    Pulling a rope a certain distance
    Carrying 2 pieces of equipment
    Crawling in a tunnel
    Hitting a panel with a sledgehammer

Is it the same test?

As far as I know if you fail, you fail and that's it. Which is fair enough I think. Obviously if it was a medical thing that the person was unaware of then that's unfortunate and they can't be blamed for it. But if someone failed on the CPAT then I see that as a lack of preparation. Everyone had the same info going into it and the same time to prepare for it.

Totally agree we.'ve all had since October last to prepare for physical. Me heart goes out to them though. Can't wait for second class time is going by really really really slowly. Ha

JDigweed wrote: »
    What exactly was involved in the cpat.....I've seen a few videos online but all from American fire departments.
    Waking on a stairmaster with a weighted vest
    Pulling a rope a certain distance
    Carrying 2 pieces of equipment
    Crawling in a tunnel
    Hitting a panel with a sledgehammer

Is it the same test?

No it's entirely DFB's own format. Closer to the time DCC will send you links to Youtube videos showing you the exact tests you'll have to do. You can't find them on YouTube because they're private links and can't be publicly searched for.

Totally agree we.'ve all had since October last to prepare for physical. Me heart goes out to them though. Can't wait for second class time is going by really really really slowly. Ha

Once we get in the first class and get started then it'll all be about the 2nd class.......correspondence, communication from DCC etc. Once that all starts it'll fly in and you'll be gasping for air through your eyeballs during the CPAT like I was Haha!

• Advertisement

Once we get in the first class and get started then it'll all be about the 2nd class.......correspondence, communication from DCC etc. Once that all starts it'll fly in and you'll be gasping for air through your eyeballs during the CPAT like I was Haha!

Haha I look forward to that. It was probably mentioned earlier but have you been told your doing paramedic training straight after f/f training or are they making you operational after f/f training and making you do EMT at a later date? Hearing all sorts of mixed opinions on it

Haha I look forward to that. It was probably mentioned earlier but have you been told your doing paramedic training straight after f/f training or are they making you operational after f/f training and making you do EMT at a later date? Hearing all sorts of mixed opinions on it

We weren't told anything officially yet but I asked one of the FF's during the CPAT about it and he said that we were doing FF training first and then paramedic training at a later date. Until someone involved in training tells us officially I'll not assume too much.

We weren't told anything officially yet but I asked one of the FF's during the CPAT about it and he said that we were doing FF training first and then paramedic training at a later date. Until someone involved in training tells us officially I'll not assume too much.

Your in that's all that matters now so happy days . Hopefully us lot in second class get some inclination of a start date soon .

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭TJHooker2016

Hopefully us lot in second class get some inclination of a start date soon .

January 2017

January 2017

Is that a definite Tjhooker?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭TJHooker2016

Is that a definite Tjhooker?

well i heard it from a firefighter who's S/O is the course director. It was signed off last week

well i heard it from a firefighter who's S/O is the course director. It was signed off last week

Cheers TJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Grahamfire

Any ideas on class 3 I'm 120-130 range

Grahamfire wrote: »
    Any ideas on class 3 I'm 120-130 range
    If second class is starting Jan 2017 I'd imagine you'd be talking 7months or more after that, that's just a guess. Who knows what way second class be done in regards to doing EMT straight after F/F or whether they.'ll split it and make us do EMT at a later date?

• Advertisement

Replace EMT with Paramedic*

*EMT is a lower standard

;)

Advertisement