Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭JDigweed

Did you do the cpat in full turnout gear or were you wearing runners instead of the boots and if so, how did you find it with the extra weight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭IT_wannabe

JDigweed wrote: »
    Did you do the cpat in full turnout gear or were you wearing runners instead of the boots and if so, how did you find it with the extra weight?

Full turnout gear, helmet, boots & gloves. I found it OK because of my current job but I'd see how some people might struggle with the gear on. It's not heavy, just if someone isn't used to it then it could be uncomfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭honreal

CPAT is grand if you have a general level of fitness, you don't need to be super fit either. You know it's coming up so get out for a run each week to keep on top of things, if your body (upper and lower) is not what it should be then you know what you have to do.

I feel for the people who failed but at the same time im thinking all you had to do was get out and sort the fitness/strength out. If the job means that much you will do what has to be done!

Don't worry about CPAT it's very doable. as are the other tests. You will be grand.

Also the gear isn't heavy, they will size you propperly before you start as they want you to be comfortable and they are all really nice. you wont notice the helmet and the wellies you can get a pretty good fit as they have a range of sizes and let you try them on till your comfortable.

Good to hear! Like anything I suppose if you want it that much you'll put in the graft.....whether it be the gym or running for this or preparing for the interview/aptitude tests.

Good to hear! Like anything I suppose if you want it that much you'll put in the graft.....whether it be the gym or running for this or preparing for the interview/aptitude tests.

Exactly! Take nothing for granted and don't leave anything to chance and you won't go wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Johner1982

honreal wrote: »
    Replace EMT with Paramedic*

*EMT is a lower standard

;)

My bad force of habit ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭steve-collins

Thought the hardest part of the physical was just after dragging the dummy they stick a BA mask on you while your trying to catch your breath and tell ye to go into the dark tunnel. Wasn't expecting it tbh so just had to compose myself as I was finding it hard to breeth .

Thought the hardest part of the physical was just after dragging the dummy they stick a BA mask on you while your trying to catch your breath and tell ye to go into the dark tunnel. Wasn't expecting it tbh so just had to compose myself as I was finding it hard to breeth .

Sure that wasn't the claustrophobia kicking in :P

It was for a few seconds lucky enough I pulled myself togheter . Can't wait to get started now days are dragging by .

What's the time limit, and what kind of times were being achieved?
    Also what would cause a fail......did some people just not have the stamina to complete all of the drills?

• Advertisement

Sure that wasn't the claustrophobia kicking in :P

I'll be honest, between catching my breath after the dummy drag and then being thrown into darkness like that for the first time with a BA mask on I did have to seriously relax and compose myself. Once I got things under control I was grand but that squeaky bum moment was there for a few seconds.

Also what would cause a fail......did some people just not have the stamina to complete all of the drills?

Nobody is told their time. A fail is if you either cannot achieve the objective or you run over time allocated.

You have 5 minutes for the equipment carry from what I can remember. If you drop any equipment then that constitutes a fail and you have 15 mins to re-prepare and you're brought back for your 2nd and last attempt. If you fail again then it's out the door. I did it in just under 3 and a half mins. I busted myself on the first 4 and that allowed me loads of time to relax on the last 2.

Nobody is told their time. A fail is if you either cannot achieve the objective or you run over time allocated.

I was told my time and I passed there and then as soon as I put down the 30kg barbell.

IT_wannabe wrote: »
    I'll be honest, between catching my breath after the dummy drag and then being thrown into darkness like that for the first time with a BA mask on I did have to seriously relax and compose myself. Once I got things under control I was grand but that squeaky bum moment was there for a few seconds.
    It was for a few seconds lucky enough I pulled myself togheter . Can't wait to get started now days are dragging by .

It's deadly craic tho! can be a bit off putting esp when the narrow space becomes even narrower... then you really gotta battle the daemons! :D

The excitement of all that is ahead is rediculous

Feck it is there anywhere to get the firefighter series online?

Was looking for it myself, couldnt find it so ended up watching one from the 90s on youtube very grainey footage .

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Squirrelsnuts

Thought that was just me!!

Thought that was just me!!

I know a few who sat the tests and all said the same thing! dummy drag knocks you back a bit. very deceiving :D

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Squirrelsnuts

I know a few who sat the tests and all said the same thing! dummy drag knocks you back a bit. very deceiving :D
    It's the putting on the mask straight away when you're catching you're breath. I was questioning myself for a few seconds saying am I actually a claustrophobic!!!

• Advertisement

It's the putting on the mask straight away when you're catching you're breath. I was questioning myself for a few seconds saying am I actually a claustrophobic!!!

Yeah i get you I was saying it's the dummy drag that gets you thirsty for air then the mask doesnt do you any favours

Yeah big time caught me by surprise with the mask on so quick I suppose its to try see how ye cope with the mask on while gasping for air.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭speedbird777

I think it's safe to say now that those who did fail won't be replaced by anyone from 50+

I think it's safe to say now that those who did fail won't be replaced by anyone from 50+

It's looking that way alright. I can understand it from the OBI's side though, smaller class is more manageable for them. Maybe that was their plan all along, put 50 through into first class and they expected people to definitely fail along the way somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭derra_121

Has anybody got the link to the youtube videos that was sent to you for the CPAT? It would be great to see them, even a PM if they are private links and you dont want to make them public.

I don't want to be the one posting the links, or sending them in DM (DFB didn't make them public so I won't be) but take a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=476aXMwjp0k this is basically the same format. DFB times are tighter than what is allowed in this video but the tests are essentially the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭nicknackgtb

It's deadly craic tho! can be a bit off putting esp when the narrow space becomes even narrower... then you really gotta battle the daemons! :D

The excitement of all that is ahead is rediculous

Wait till you start going through the narrow tunnels with full BA on and using fingertips to pull yourself along!!

Wait till you start going through the narrow tunnels with full BA on and using fingertips to pull yourself along!!

What more could you want from a job :)

Are you a serving FF yourself?

• Advertisement

The motivation do do work or care about work has reached 0.

Advertisement