Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭honreal

Chungwun wrote: »
    And the snoozing warm lecture room trying to stay awake drill for all the lessons too

All you have to do is look down at the crest on your uniform and remember it is all worth it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭JDigweed

Doe's there be many people dropping out mid training? Finding out it's not for them or that the training is too difficult.

JDigweed wrote: »
    Doe's there be many people dropping out mid training? Finding out it's not for them or that the training is too difficult.

Very rare if none at all. but sure what do I know that's just what I have been told. Chungwun may know more. I think the last few internal classes have suffered with one or two wanting to go. may be wrong as I said it's all he said she said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭IT_wannabe

I'm sure there is. Especially when it comes to the medical side of things. RTA's, DOA's, blood etc. You can train someone to do the practical side of firefighting but when it comes to the part of the job where you have to ask someone to risk their life for another, some people just don't have it in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Chungwun

Yeah it does happen from class to class. Not very many tho. 1 or 2 max.

Like anything, some people think they want something then when they do it they find out its not for them.

If this weather keeps up it'll be tough going in the drill yard

• Advertisement

Going a bit off topic here but just wondering is it a common thing for FF's to pick up a nixer for the days that they're off shift?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Paulzx

IT_wannabe wrote: »
    Going a bit off topic here but just wondering is it a common thing for FF's to pick up a nixer for the days that they're off shift?

Lads FFS!!!!!

Paulzx wrote: »
    Lads FFS!!!!!

Is there a problem with my question?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Squirrelsnuts

Yes. A lot of dfb have some sort of side earner.

Yes. A lot of dfb have some sort of side earner.

Thanks for the reply, that's more of the response I was looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭thesamster

Anybody know when the job offers are been sent out .

thesamster wrote: »
    Anybody know when the job offers are been sent out .

Brain Teahan said on the day of the CPAT that he wanted them out to us by the 27th of this month but that was dependant on him getting all the current employee references back quickly. I'd imagine it'd be before the start of June anyway so people can give their employers 4 weeks notice.

Brain Teahan said on the day of the CPAT that he wanted them out to us by the 27th of this month but that was dependant on him getting all the current employee references back quickly. I'd imagine it'd be before the start of June anyway so people can give their employers 4 weeks notice.

Well he has until the 26th of this month (thur) if people are to give 1 months notice so be tight to the line

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Squirrelsnuts

Thanks for the reply, that's more of the response I was looking for.
    Lots of tradesmen working for themselves or for someone on their days off. Security, bar men/ bar owners, fast food workers/owners, personal trainers/gym owners, working as paramedics for private operators, running first aid/ emt courses, taximen, chimney sweepers, aptitude and interview preparation....... You'll find a little side earner don't you worry about that!

Lots of tradesmen working for themselves or for someone on their days off. Security, bar men/ bar owners, fast food workers/owners, personal trainers/gym owners, working as paramedics for private operators, running first aid/ emt courses, taximen, chimney sweepers, aptitude and interview preparation....... You'll find a little side earner don't you worry about that!

I wasn't necessarily asking for me, just something I was talking to a FF who drives a taxi about and was wondering if it was common or not. Thanks for the reply again, much appreciated.

Shame it needs to be done in the first place.

Shame it needs to be done in the first place.

Very true. Salaries in the emergency services will never reflect the danger people put themselves in for another.

Might be a silly question but do we need to bring along anything with us on the first day like shower supplies, towels, razors etc that we will be storing in our lockers?

Perhaps Chungwun can enlighten me as to what happens the first day? I presume it's a day of assigning lockers, assigning ppe and uniforms etc and getting settled pretty quick?

honreal wrote: »
    Might be a silly question but do we need to bring along anything with us on the first day like shower supplies, towels, razors etc that we will be storing in our lockers?

Perhaps Chungwun can enlighten me as to what happens the first day? I presume it's a day of assigning lockers, assigning ppe and uniforms etc and getting settled pretty quick?

I think it'd be no harm to have it with you in the car. As the saying goes, "I'd rather be looking at it than looking for it".

I think it'd be no harm to have it with you in the car. As the saying goes, "I'd rather be looking at it than looking for it".

Yeah this is what im thinking, have a bag with me on the day and it's in the car should I need it.

This day next month :)

• Advertisement

Yeah this is what im thinking, have a bag with me on the day and it's in the car should I need it.

It can't come quick enough :D

Yeah you'll be doing a good bit in the class room. A few bits and pieces to sign and few lectures to go thru. Probably meet the syndicate officers and be assigned to different syndicates. Lot of admin stuff like that.

Just make sure ya turn up early, clean shaven, proper haircut. Please if anybody has DFB tshirts for any reason, do not bloody wear it 🙈. Don't worry about wear to park, you'll be shown on arrival.

And keep you head down and mouth shut :-) let the heat seekers stand out in terms crowd.

Yeah you'll be doing a good bit in the class room. A few bits and pieces to sign and few lectures to go thru. Probably meet the syndicate officers and be assigned to different syndicates. Lot of admin stuff like that.

Just make sure ya turn up early, clean shaven, proper haircut. Please if anybody has DFB tshirts for any reason, do not bloody wear it 🙈. Don't worry about wear to park, you'll be shown on arrival.

And keep you head down and mouth shut :-) let the heat seekers stand out in terms crowd.

Don't tell me this has happened :D

thanks for the reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭stringbox

Hi Chungwun what do you mean by syndicate. The only syndicate I can think of is for the lotto, I don't think that's what you mean.

stringbox wrote: »
    Hi Chungwun what do you mean by syndicate. The only syndicate I can think of is for the lotto, I don't think that's what you mean.

Each class is divided up into different syndicates usually made up of 8 recruits. You stick with this group throughout your training usually

Out of curiosity, what's the deal with wearing the DFB t shirt?

In what regards?

Why it would be a big no no? I've heard it mentioned that you don't wear DFB gear to and from the training centre......just wondering why?

It'd be like that guy that turns up at 5 a side soccer wearing a full kit head to toe. You don't want to stand out on day 1, as Chungwun said previously, head down and mouth shut.

• Advertisement

Why it would be a big no no? I've heard it mentioned that you don't wear DFB gear to and from the training centre......just wondering why?

We'll first off they are issue clothing so why would somebody have one on their first day of training? If they were given to you by family why would ya wanna stand out like that on the first day too.

Advertisement