Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Chungwun

Grahamfire wrote: »
    Is there a possibility that the dfb will recruit again before 2019 ?

Nobody knows but one thing is certain. They need to. Everybody saying this current panel will have classes running back to back until it's exhausted.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭derra_121

Chungwun wrote: »
    Is there a possibility that the dfb will recruit again before 2019 ?

Nobody knows but one thing is certain. They need to. Everybody saying this current panel will have classes running back to back until it's exhausted.

Any guesses or indication as to how they will be split. If I remember correctly it was 160 on the panel - 50 so far then 50 and another 50 with 10 potential drop outs?

derra_121 wrote: »
    Any guesses or indication as to how they will be split. If I remember correctly it was 160 on the panel - 50 so far then 50 and another 50 with 10 potential drop outs?

Next class will be more than likely 40 from the panel plus 10 esc's out of the control room

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭speedbird777

There has been several occasions over the years were a recruit class was started with app 40 then when they start their 7 weeks ems a 2nd class of 40 started fire training so then when they were ready to start their ems training the 1st class was back fire side.

At present there is a class of 50 which is a large class but the obi could handle other courses at the same time, esc's for example.

Bigger issue at the moment is also the availability of officers to go out and instruct. Hence why there is a sub officers panel been advertised at the moment. That in turn will mean more recruits needed

Be fair to say that with promotions, retirements, sick leave, the current class of 50 will just be absorbed into the brigade with no real impact? Especially not ems trained.

Be fair to say that with promotions, retirements, sick leave, the current class of 50 will just be absorbed into the brigade with no real impact? Especially not ems trained.

Ems trained or not makes no difference, still a number at the end of the day. And no, won't make a huge impact really. Job is chasing it's tail in regards recruitment

• Advertisement

Ems trained or not makes no difference, still a number at the end of the day. And no, won't make a huge impact really. Job is chasing it's tail in regards recruitment

Almost as much as the nas. They stuck a deal this week to recruit almost 600 new emts, paramedics and call takers over 5 years. It's hard to believe our emergency services are so stretched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Grahamfire

So we can safely say the panel won't be scrapped

So we can safely say the panel won't be scrapped

Unless the banks fail and the economy goes into the depths of recessions and they country has no money it should be safe. Sure something like that would never happen

Unless the banks fail and the economy goes into the depths of recessions and they country has no money it should be safe. Sure something like that would never happen

Took the words from my mouth. Brexit bringing increased economic uncertainty and Trump threatening to bring all big us company's back to the US for tax and job reason's could be big factors for the Irish economy. Wait and see how the budget goes in December. It will be a good indication. Take nothing as a certainty until your up a ladder in Marino.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭JDigweed

Question for current DFB members....
    How did you find the transition from working a day job to doing shift work.
    Anything that helps keep the mind sharp at 5 o clock in the morning??
    Do you manage a bit of shut eye in the station in between calls or chores?

• Advertisement

JDigweed wrote: »
    Question for current DFB members....
    How did you find the transition from working a day job to doing shift work.
    Anything that helps keep the mind sharp at 5 o clock in the morning??
    Do you manage a bit of shut eye in the station in between calls or chores?

You will have to wait till your own station and the lads will let you in on all the secrets

We are like the stonecutters club ;-)

You will have to wait till your own station and the lads will let you in on all the secrets

We are like the stonecutters club ;-)

Ha Fair enough.......okay one more question!!
    When the training is finished and your going operational, how do they decide who goes to what station? Is it done to keep people from having less to travel or wherever the numbers are needed most??

JDigweed wrote: »
    Ha Fair enough.......okay one more question!!
    When the training is finished and your going operational, how do they decide who goes to what station? Is it done to keep people from having less to travel or wherever the numbers are needed most??

This varies from class to class. For instance the recruits who are out at the moment are all in 2 pump stations because they can't do the ambulance so it has a lesser effect on the lads if they were to be in a 1 pump. So when they go back in Oct to do the ems I'm sure the current class will just fill their spots.

They try to keep lads on their side of the city or the general direction they are coming from but there is certainly no entitlement to.

When the normal recruit process was going, FF/P training in one, lads would be asked a preference of watch and station and they would try accommodate this if possible. So the higher up the panel you were the better chance of getting the station you wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭IT_wannabe

This varies from class to class. For instance the recruits who are out at the moment are all in 2 pump stations because they can't do the ambulance so it has a lesser effect on the lads if they were to be in a 1 pump. So when they go back in Oct to do the ems I'm sure the current class will just fill their spots.

They try to keep lads on their side of the city or the general direction they are coming from but there is certainly no entitlement to.

When the normal recruit process was going, FF/P training in one, lads would be asked a preference of watch and station and they would try accommodate this if possible. So the higher up the panel you were the better chance of getting the station you wanted.

That way of accommodating people seems a bit unfair as well.

Example, if someone finished up in the top 5 on the panel before training commenced, but turned out to be a lot less competent of a FF than the other recruits by the end of training.

Should they be looked after more than the lads that showed themselves to be a lot better during training than before training?

IT_wannabe wrote: »
    That way of accommodating people seems a bit unfair as well.

Example, if someone finished up in the top 5 on the panel before training commenced, but turned out to be a lot less competent of a FF than the other recruits by the end of training.

Should they be looked after more than the lads that showed themselves to be a lot better during training than before training?

You gettin petty now. A few months ago people would kill to get on the panel and now your complaining about stations and how other lads do in training.

Lot of lads would gladly drive a few others a day to even be in line to get any station!

You gettin petty now. A few months ago people would kill to get on the panel and now your complaining about stations and how other lads do in training.

Lot of lads would gladly drive a few others a day to even be in line to get any station!

I'm not being petty at all. Just a general observation. Everything to date is done on merit and if the station placements are the same then shouldn't they be done on merit post training rather than pre training.

My comment about people's training is relevant to a person's own effort. There are people who will happily coast through training and just do the bare minimum without putting in any effort above and beyond. My query is should they get a preference of station/watch above someone who gives 110% every minute of every day because of what merit was before training started?

I'd actually be happy stationed on the moon once I'm in

I'd actually be happy stationed on the moon once I'm in

Everyone is going to be stationed somewhere but imagine someone who might not have a car. There's guys training at the minute who live in Kildare, Newry & Tipperary. Is it fair if they get sent to the furthest station away from their home to accommodate someone who didn't put in the same level of effort during training as they did?

I'll be happy wherever I get stationed as it'll only be for a few months anyway until the Paramedic course begins.

My point is that if there is decisions to be made regarding someone's preferred station or watch, shouldn't it be made on that persons ability and effort shown during training rather than their merit post interviews?

Everyone is going to be stationed somewhere but imagine someone who might not have a car. There's guys training at the minute who live in Kildare, Newry & Tipperary. Is it fair if they get sent to the furthest station away from their home to accommodate someone who didn't put in the same level of effort during training as they did?

I'll be happy wherever I get stationed as it'll only be for a few months anyway until the Paramedic course begins.

My point is that if there is decisions to be made regarding someone's preferred station or watch, shouldn't it be made on that persons ability and effort shown during training rather than their merit post interviews?

You might be stationed tallaght for 20 years then all of a sudden your needed in HQ because your trained up on a certain piece of equipment and nobody else is available. Your ordered to HQ and there is nothing you can do regardless of were you live, you have kids, whatever! This is the fire brigade which is a uniformed, disciplined body. Don't turn up at training voicing what's fair and not fair, won't be a clever move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 blackmark

Before you leave the obi you will be issued a badge number. This badge number reflects the position you got on the panel. So no 1 on the panel will be 1 badge number after the least recruit to leave the obi in the last class.

**** rolls downhill and it's as simple as that so get used to being ranked.

You could be the best firefighter out there but the badge number above you is essentially senior to you regardless of who you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭derra_121

but but but... I worked harder than him!!!

I wonder who we are gettin to replace Simon and Louis on the judging panel this year....

The Fire-Ext Factor 2016

Who will be the greatest Recruit...they decide!

Cheers.
    I'm asking purely out of curiosity. No station is more than a 45 minute drive from where I live.

Everyone is going to be stationed somewhere but imagine someone who might not have a car. There's guys training at the minute who live in Kildare, Newry & Tipperary/quote]

Lads joining from outside of Dublin should of been well aware before applying that they were goina be travelling alot. After all it's Dublin fire brigade. They want close to home they should look to there own county fire service.Don't see why living outside of Dublin gives you a preference over where you get stationed. As for no car..., run cycle, bus, luas, dart, train. Only thing that should be priority is ppl caring for sick family members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Hi all,
    I'm curious how tough the recruitment for firemen is in Ireland.
    My brother in law just got accepted into the Barcelona fire Dept. (Bombers de Barcelona) and wow what a tough course it was , about 2000 people applied for 60 positions (he was #9).
    Lots of demanding fitness tests where one mistake and you fail - and that's it you're out.
    Truck driving tests and again if you hit one cone - out.
    Plus written tests, psychological tests , vertigo tests .. he really had to be on the peak of fitness for the last 18 months.
    Anyway he got the confirmation a few weeks ago and everyone was delighted - he worked so hard for it and deserves it.

But here was the slightly disappointing thing, we took a walk down to the station he will be based in (Eixample - one of the main Barcelona sites)
    and there were two fat firemen having a smoke outside !!

So maybe once you are in they don't do regular fitness tests (they should surely), whats it like in Dublin ?

Hi all,
    I'm curious how tough the recruitment for firemen is in Ireland.
    My brother in law just got accepted into the Barcelona fire Dept. (Bombers de Barcelona) and wow what a tough course it was , about 2000 people applied for 60 positions (he was #9).
    Lots of demanding fitness tests where one mistake and you fail - and that's it you're out.
    Truck driving tests and again if you hit one cone - out.
    Plus written tests, psychological tests , vertigo tests .. he really had to be on the peak of fitness for the last 18 months.
    Anyway he got the confirmation a few weeks ago and everyone was delighted - he worked so hard for it and deserves it.

But here was the slightly disappointing thing, we took a walk down to the station he will be based in (Eixample - one of the main Barcelona sites)
    and there were two fat firemen having a smoke outside !!

So maybe once you are in they don't do regular fitness tests (they should surely), whats it like in Dublin ?
    Hi. In the recent recruitment approx 7000 applied for 160 positions. The tests are hard but very doable and will show who prepared and really want the job. The interview is done by a panel of 3 and also can be quite tricky but preparation is key. If you want the job enough there's a decent chance you will get it ! The medical is just to make sure you are of normal health and the physical isn't to crazy either ! As far as I know there are no physical tests done after training again I could be wrong !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Hi. In the recent recruitment approx 7000 applied for 160 positions. The tests are hard but very doable and will show who prepared and really want the job. The interview is done by a panel of 3 and also can be quite tricky but preparation is key. If you want the job enough there's a decent chance you will get it ! The medical is just to make sure you are of normal health and the physical isn't to crazy either ! As far as I know there are no physical tests done after training again I could be wrong !
    OK so pretty similar, yeah when my wife told me years ago he was going for it - it was a big secret as he didn't want people knowing if he failed.

I just knew he would get it, he's perfect for the job so we are all delighted here :D .

Also he showed us his gear - clothes boots etc, worth about 4k - all made in Germany too :) top quality stuff.

I hope he's ok, it can be a dangerous enough job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Anyone any idea when the next drive will be starting up? Would this time next year sound good or will it be another long wait.

TallGlass wrote: »
    Anyone any idea when the next drive will be starting up? Would this time next year sound good or will it be another long wait.

At a massive guess I'd say maybe 2018 at the earliest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

At a massive guess I'd say maybe 2018 at the earliest

Around 18 months or so. Fair bit away, I am still raw from the interview so close but so far! I just hope I get an interview again, down but not out.

Advertisement