Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip Replacement in Late 20's.. What to expect?

Options
  • 04-06-2015 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm 28, and had surgery a few weeks ago for major impingement (prob from birth). End result is 0% cartilage and major damages AKA Hip replacement.

My question is: What sort of life can you lead afterwards. Surgeon says it all will be good - but hearing some horror stories about sleeping, exercise etc. I was quite active before injury with soccer, but that seems to decrease the length of time the hip lasts?

I've been laid up about 6 weeks now, sleep is becoming an issue - hope someone out there might have went through a similar experience and have some advice.

TIA
    Joe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

An aunt of mine had her hip replaced early in life - 30 odd.

She was never that active but she's had a great quality of life since getting it done.

If you go on to lead a full life, you may have to get the replacement replaced once or twice.

I've heard you should avoid impact sports like rugby and skiing, and anything that would put a lot of stress on the joint, running or soccer, gaa football/hurling.

Cycling and swimming could be good options.
    Get a good Physio post op who will push you.
    Most physios working with hip replacements work with older people so you should be able for a lot more rehab sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I wouldn't worry about it wearing out. By the time you need a new one they'll probably be drastically more advanced and you'll be wanting the upgrade anyway :)
    (2045 might sound like Star Trek but that's probably when we're talking about here)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭joe2687

Thanks very much for the advice.. It's all a bit daunting to be honest - but it seems to getting more and more regular procedure with late 20's/early 30's due to sports injuries etc.

I've since met a good physio and have a plan in place pre & post op.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

joe2687 wrote: »
    Thanks very much for the advice.. It's all a bit daunting to be honest - but it seems to getting more and more regular procedure with late 20's/early 30's due to sports injuries etc.

I've since met a good physio and have a plan in place pre & post op.

You'd want to prepare the house for when you get home. Downstairs toilet and bed are probably needed for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 UsainBolt100

Hi Joe,

I hope you have recovered well after your operation.

Would you mind giving an update on how you are now? In a similar situation to you now, age 30, was not the news i was expecting at all. Although I have not been given a timeline for when i will need surgery - the surgeon has said i will in the future.

I would really appreciate any feedback you have? Did you have a THR or resurfacing?

Many thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement