Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Cost of drilling vents into walls

• 04-06-2015 11:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am currently renovating a house built in the 1960s hence no vents in the rooms.

I looked at the option of putting vents into the windows but don't really like the look of them. Any idea of cost involved in getting new vents put into the existing walls?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭PROJECT K

Hi Jane, cost of drilling holes approx. €15-20 each, plus about the same for sleeve and vent covers. However, I would strongly recommend you look at a demand/humidity controlled ventilation system as opposed to just putting vents in walls. There are two systems on the market, PM me if you want their details, who offer such systems. Cost of a DCV system approx €2-3k fully installed so this is a much more expensive option but much more effective at providing controlled ventilation - heat recovery option is also possible if you require. (i am not a supplier or have no commercial interest here!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

Thanks ProjectK. What are the benefits of such a system?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Jane98 wrote: »
    What are the benefits of such a system?

What's your air tightness target?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭PROJECT K

Sorry jane, been away for a while - benefits are controlled ventilation (with heat recovery if required), minimal drafts, much more effective ventilation of the building, not relient on wind pressure/exposure/etc. As per Micks post, these systems will work much better with higher levels of airtightness - so some attention may be required there too...

Advertisement