Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming PC

Options
  • 04-06-2015 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi, just looking for some advice i'm building my first PC.will be using it for gaming , photoshop,video conversions etc and want to kinda jump in with two feet before my second comes along as the money will be diverted :)

Here's what i'm looking at any advice would be greatly appreciated
    i bought the case in fact everything will be bought from Harwareversand
    their the cheapest around the case i bought is the NXZT Phantom 410
    this is the run down of everything else and would love some input or changes
    of certain things if needed thanks all.

Mainboard=ASUS M5A99X R2.0 AM3 ATX
    Graphics=MSi Geforce GTX960 GAMING 4GB GDDR5
    PSU=EVGA Supernvova 750 GOLD
    CPU=AMD FX-8350 BLACK EDITION
    RAM= 8GB Crucial Ballistic Sport Series DDR3 1600 CL9 (will upgrade)
    SSD 120GB
    and two 1TB 7200 Satas for games etc
    also three DVD Rewriters as i use that quiet a lot
    fans will just be the three that come with the case for now their two 120s and one 140

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

So is the case all you've got so far?

Would I be right in saying €800 is the budget? Roughly guessing prices

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭terryG79

i think its around 800-900 ad the case is ordered and im ordering the Mobo tomorrow id like to order it all in one go but the other half would kill me so im having to pretend their like half what they are lol and get them in bit by bit so its less obvious

You'll get shafted for €12 delivery each time, I'd bite the bullet and buy her flowers with the money you'll save :pac:

I'd also personally recommend an Intel based build, the one you have is unbalanced to begin with anyways.

I'll throw up an Intel build if you want, or give adjustments to what you've got if you want to keep AMD

cheers...i would like to keep with the AMD just for price reasons i was looking at the 4770K but i cant justify spending the extra.also the postage €12 each time doesnt really bother me its a PayPal business account so its digital money so i dont class it as my own if you get me :D

Its classed as your own when you look at the bank account! I'll get a build now on the PC hold on

• Advertisement

thank you :) much appreciated lol oh i know

Item|Price
    be quiet! SYSTEM POWER 600W 7 - Bulk -|€€ 70
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 2000GB, SATA 6Gb / s|€€ 77
    Crucial SSD 250GB BX100|€€ 84
    16GB Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600, CL9|€€ 98
    3 x Samsung SH-224DB black|€€ 37
    AMD FX-8350 processor, Boxed, Socket AM3 +|€€ 172
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - Intel / AMD|€€ 29
    Gigabyte GA-970-UD3P AMD 970 AM3 +, ATX|€€ 77
    MSI R9 280X GAMING 3G with MANTLE and Gaming Evolved client, 3GB DDR5|€€ 232
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€882

Thats what I'd go for, I know its well over budget but its got twice the SSD capacity, a CPU fan, double the RAM and a better card, unless you need an Nvidia card.

Item|Price
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 2000GB, SATA 6Gb / s|€€ 77
    Crucial SSD 250GB BX100|€€ 84
    16GB Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600, CL9|€€ 98
    3 x Samsung SH-224DB black|€€ 37
    MSI R9 280X GAMING 3G with MANTLE and Gaming Evolved client, 3GB DDR5|€€ 232
    ASRock H97 Anniversary, Socket 1150 ATX|€€ 74
    Thermaltake Hamburg 530W|€€ 47
    Intel Xeon E3-1231v3 Box, LGA1150|€€ 252
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€906

Intel based build for €25 more. 90% the same, better gaming performance, iirc there's better CPU performance but I could be wrong

brilliant thank you....the card i dont need i just thought it was the latest out and assumed it would be a good card it all looks top drawer...i actually had the gigabyte mobo on the original list but i read some bad reviews so i took it off but that all is doable and looks spot on man thanks for that. mucho gratias

I don't know the first thing about AMD boards to be honest, it had a high rating on geizhals so it was good enough for me, by all means switch it if you'd feel more secure with a different one. Do you need windows?

• Advertisement

i prefer linux to be honest i had Ubuntu for years but switched back to Windows a few years back..i have a HP DV6-6051ea AMD card in it its an 6670M and the onboard HD one its terrible for everything,like i couldnt even play BF3 on the lowest settings nor COD...even rendering its pretty slow like i get about 250-300FPS during a conversion.

The Xeon is better for conversions if I recall, not that the 8350 is any slouch

I've a 280x, The Witcher 3 and GTAV are the first games I couldn't run on Ultra 60fps so no worries there

Windows is dead handy for gaming, though ****e or everything else

haha it is to be fair, i found years ago all the Linus based software just wasnt wrote for Win architecture like its changing now over the past while with almost everything being based around it.like i use Convertxtodvd it has GPU rendering and its fairly handy but a normal MKV or H264 is terrible like i dropped down two two one core and its like 70FPS and laptop as slow as hell its dire...because one of the cards it will run from is the Nvidia im kinda hoping it might give a little bit of time back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

You might like SteamOS so, it's based on Ubuntu and although it boots to a version of the Steam interface you can still get access to the shell and install other applications. You could always dual boot it with

Also, there is a forum for PC building on boards. Lots of seasoned vets there if you want some more advice. Oh, and if you want to play Arma then stay away from AMD CPUs and try and get a CPU that can be overclocked beyond 4GHz - that's a mistake some friends of mine have made in the past but it only really applies to that game.

Good morning jumbobreakfast,thank you just looking there the Saphire R9 270X looks a good card i know its 4GB and its the same as 2GB unless i was using it on multi screens but its really cheap at €208 i think.my last laptop i had i dual booted Ubuntu its way better im wanting to see what WIN10 is like as i have a free upgrade lol before going back to Linux. and thank you for the point in the right direction too.mucha appreciated

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Moved to Pc Building & Upgrading

Hi has anyone any advice on this GC please Sapphire RADEON R9 270X OC with Boost graphics card - Radeon R9 270X - 4 GB

Its a good card, fairly decent for 1080p gaming but a step down from the 280x or 2gb 960

Hey Digital Solitude is it a step down? i thought it was the next gen...hmm thats me not getting that one so thanks again

sorry man i thought i put in the 290X

• Advertisement

Yeah 290X is a nice upgrade! Rivals the 970, maybe 6 or 7% worse on average. Less even.

is there a massive difference in performance Digital in the different makes as their is quiet a substantial difference in price in some of them? thanks

Its more reliability. XFX have ****ty 290s or 290xs, I cant remember which, Gigabyte are known for unreliability with certain cards, EVGA are reliable, great after sales support, Sapphire are the safest bet, but cost a little more than the rest, Zotac are cheaper, supposedly grand according to Toms but I've never looked into them much, Windforce are a safe bet, maybe below Sapphire and EVGA though, and I've only heard bad things about Club3D.

EVGA don't make AMD cards so Sapphire or MSI are probably the best bet

Its more reliability. XFX have ****ty 290s or 290xs, I cant remember which, Gigabyte are known for unreliability with certain cards, EVGA are reliable, great after sales support, Sapphire are the safest bet, but cost a little more than the rest, Zotac are cheaper, supposedly grand according to Toms but I've never looked into them much, Windforce are a safe bet, maybe below Sapphire and EVGA though, and I've only heard bad things about Club3D.

EVGA don't make AMD cards so Sapphire or MSI are probably the best bet

VTX3D Radeon R9 290X X-Edition V2 HDMI DP 2xDVI 4GB under €280 excluding shipping is that a good price and card?

No, rebranded Club3D

ah feck that....after having a good luck at that 280X im going with that 100% feck it it looks very good on ultra settings on BF4 ill go with that one...i ordered my motherboard this morning i went with the UDA3 Gigabyte one it seems decent enough and like i said its a first build so its going to be better than what i have by a long chalk

Ah yeah its a good card, can't fault my 280X. You're going full AMD then so?

i reckon i will man for compatibility issues if ever any arise which i cant imagine it ever happening but you never say never, i have only had intel after intel and i dont know whats across the other side so ill have a look...nothing ventured nothing gained n all that,,,,just looking here is the 960 really that much lower on TDP? it has here on GPUBOSS that its significantly lower?

• Advertisement

Yeah nVidias are cooler and use less power, much of a muchness on comparable single cards though

Advertisement