Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mastitis

• 05-06-2015 12:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

Hi just wondering what do you lads do to prevent mastitus weaned lambs on monday and have been milking them but dunno if it will work just wondering is there an easyer way

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

fanadman1 wrote: »
    Hi just wondering what do you lads do to prevent mastitus weaned lambs on monday and have been milking them but dunno if it will work just wondering is there an easyer way

Never milk any here, I just let nature look after it, I wean 200 ewes at a time so it wouldn't be practical, I put them on a bare paddock, (usually the one they came off) and I seldom have a case due to weaning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

rangler1 wrote: »
    Never milk any here, I just let nature look after it, I wean 200 ewes at a time so it wouldn't be practical, I put them on a bare paddock, (usually the one they came off) and I seldom have a case due to weaning

put the stronger ones into the shed here, stops them jumping fences...cheviots :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

If it's a serious problem you could consider Dry Cow Treatment tubes at half rate. One tube in total per ewe.

Be aware of withdrawal times if any of the ewes are intended for slaughter shortly as it's unlikely there will be one set for ewes.
    Basically avoid using them in that case.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

greysides wrote: »
    If it's a serious problem you could consider Dry Cow Treatment tubes at half rate. One tube in total per ewe.

Be aware of withdrawal times if any of the ewes are intended for slaughter shortly as it's unlikely there will be one set for ewes.
    Basically avoid using them in that case.

Did it in the past - worked well. Aren't they prescription only now?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Did it in the past - worked well. Aren't they prescription only now?

Yes.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭fanadman1

so what i am takeing is chance them on poor grazeing then
    these are ewes i plan to ship on in the back end they were bought for this reason anyway
    thats the main reason i was looking for a handy way but the more i think about it sometimes there worth more for meat than milk haha

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭serfspup

in the distant past we used to strip out the ewes after weaning,even made cheese with it one year!
    havent bothered since numbers increased just make sure not to wean in very hot weather not that this is a problem at the moment:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 henricklar

Sheared sheep yesterday 2 only have milk from one side don’t see any lumps or scarring ,dry side of udder has shrank to pre pregnancy size anybody know if it’s mastitis

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Would they have single lambs? Saw a few in the past where singles drunk from one side only and the other dried up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 henricklar

yes single lambs I think you’re right funny got other ewes with lumpy scarred udders with plenty of milk

Advertisement