Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Licence for trials motorcycle

• 05-06-2015 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

Do I need a licence for a trials motorcycle?

Also, is insurance mandatory?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Stingerbar wrote: »
    Do I need a licence for a trials motorcycle?

Also, is insurance mandatory?
    To compete in events you may need an ACU license.

If you gave some more details it would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Stingerbar

I would not be competing

Just the rules in Ireland re trials motorcycles general use

Typically I would be getting a second hand bike for light use on our land or a forest nearby, perhaps to ride it half a mile on the road to get to the forest - are there any licence/insurance rules for this?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

If you're bringing the bike on to a public road you'll need a bike license, insurance and tax to be legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Stingerbar

Pugzilla wrote: »
    If you're bringing the bike on to a public road you'll need a bike license, insurance and tax to be legal.

Thanks, so if I get a trailer, then presumably none of the above are needed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

Stingerbar wrote: »
    Thanks, so if I get a trailer, then presumably none of the above are needed?

Only for the car/van you are using to tow the trailer with the bike on it..:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

If you use the bike on land that is used by the public, ie amenity walks forest trails etc., you will need insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

aujopimur wrote: »
    If you use the bike on land that is used by the public, ie amenity walks forest trails etc., you will need insurance.
    Wouldn't be much point as your insurance won't cover off road, there isn't any legal off road areas in the country with the exception of organised trials events or off road races, but for those you will need a competition license

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

aujopimur wrote: »

....where are you getting this ?

Mountain bike courses for mountain bikes are similarly public, and you don't need insurance for those........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Yes that is right, but if you are just using it off road, even on public fire roads ect insurance will be nul in void as it is technically illegal to use off road vehicles of Coillte land unless a race permit has been granted for a club event

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

So dualsport bikes are basically worthless in this country since you'll never have the opportunity to use the off-road capabilities outside special events?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

So dualsport bikes are basically worthless in this country since you'll never have the opportunity to use the off-road capabilities outside special events?

...tbh, that's always been a problem here. If we had a desert, we'd be the one country where we'd ban people from it anyway.............

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Unfortunately yes, i've been riding off road for 15 years now and never really had a problem but its a bit of a grey area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

galwaytt wrote: »

Mountain bike courses for mountain bikes are similarly public, and you don't need insurance for those........

The road traffic act says, vehicles used in public places, although they may be in private ownership ie supermarket carparks, forrest walks etc., must have 3rd party motor insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

galwaytt wrote: »

If you crash into someone they can sue you, so while not compulsory it's advisable to have insurance for a bicycle.

Advertisement