Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8.1 - Pinned to Taskbar Issue

Options
  • 05-06-2015 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My OS is on one of two partitions on an internal drive and my profile (desktop, downloads, vids, pics etc) is on a second internal drive. All are BitLocked.

When I start the computer and log on ASAP, I get a "D:/folder/desktop can not be found" error and there is nothing is on my desktop. All my taskbar shortcuts are gone. Quickly going to "This PC" reveals that the D drive is not unlocked by the BitLocker quick enough to respond to the desktop, hence the error.

If I switch on the comp and login after a few seconds (enough for BitLocker to sort itself out), the desktop is fine but the taskbar shortcuts are still gone.

The only way to get the shortcuts back is to kill explorer.exe and restart it.

Further checks reveal that my Profile HDD is being seen my Windows as a removable disk. This has only started happening when I switched BitLocker on for my OS partition.

Creating a new User Account solves the problem until I point the Desktop to my second drive and create my own taskbar pins.

I am switching BitLocker off on my OS partition to see what that does, as this is the only thing I have changed in the timeframe of this issue.

Any help would be appreciated as I do not want to have to reinstall the OS again.

Thanks

Advertisement