Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changing to a 52/36 setup

Options
  • 05-06-2015 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

I am changing from a standard compact to 52/36, and changing my old cassette with an 11/28 rear cassette. Currently my bike has a dura ace 7800 rear derailleur on it, will this be compatible with the new setup or will i need to change it for a medium ultegra 6700 rear derailleur? Or would i be better served just switching to a 52/39 front crankset - would i still have to switch out my rear derailleur?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

Your rear derailleur will be fine with a 52/36 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭bsb1971

Thats what I thought, but am being told otherwise by person who is sorting the gearing for me...........

I broke a crank (52/39) and temporarily replaced it with a compact 50/34, the cassette was 12/27. DA 7800 rear derailleur had no problems with the set up. Not that I'd try a 34-12 combination though! Leave the rear derailleur and try it in the combinations you use, I can't see any problem. Plus, the bike would look really ugly with a long cage derailleur hanging off the back :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

OP maybe you're mixing up a few issues, changing your crankset won't affect your rear derailleur but it may mean you might need a longer chain, especially of you're going to a bigger cassette on the back. Also going to a bigger cassette may mean that your rear derailleur might not have enough capacity to hold the longer chain or fit with the bigger cassette, I've no experience of a DA 7800 RD but someone here probably will be able to set you right, but at the very least you should be able to fit the new cassette and see how it works, just change back if there are any problems.

A Google search came up with this, just to confuse the issue! Even so, I'd still try the 7800 derailleur first!

According to United Bicycle Institute:

Determine Maximum Chainring Difference by subracting the number of teeth in the smallest chainring from the number of teeth in the largest chainring

Determine Maximum Cassette Cog Difference by subtracting the number of teeth on the smallest cassette cog from the number of teeth on the largest cassette cog

Determine Total Drivetrain Capacity by adding Maximum Chainring Difference to the Maximum Cassette Cog Difference

Record the Maximum Cassette Cog (the number of teeth on the largest Cassette Cog)

For Shimano:

SS - Short Cage Road Double - Maximum Cassette Cog is 27 and Total Capacity is 29

GS - Medium Cage MTB/Road Triple - Maximum Cassette Cog is 34(MTB)/27(Road) and Total Capacity is 33(MTB)/37(Road)

SGS - Long MTB - Maximum Cassette Cog is 34 and Total Capacity is 45

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I'm surprised that the GS medium cage is listed as a maximum cog of 27 for road bikes, I though it was quite a bit higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

you will need a longer chain... changed to a 53/39 earlier this year and a new chain was needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

want to the same by end of summer . Want to change from compact to 52/36 , have 11/28. Keeping an eye on the bargain thread with the fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

105 52-36 is €110 in crc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭G1032

Sorry to hijack this thread but there is little point starting a new one for my questions below!!

Hi
    I’m considering chaining my chainset from 52/39 to 50/34.

Current set up is Shimano 105 Chainset 52/39
    Am I right in saying that the 105 52/39 has a 130mm BCD but that the 105 50/34 has a 110mm BCD and I therefore cannot just put a 34T ring on alongside the 52T?? I need to change the whole chainset??

I think then I’d need something like this to remove the crankset http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-crank-install-tool-hollowtech-ii/rp-prod3785
    What do I use though as a lever to turn that removal tool??

Is changing a chainset any more complicated than say changing a cassette??

I’m assuming a few links would need to be removed from the chain if going from 52/39 to 50/34

An one other non technical related question please………for those of you on 50/34 – do you spend 99% of your time in the 50 ring? I spend a bit of time in the 39 ring and my fear would be having to use the 50 ring for all the time except for the steeper longer climbs?

Thanks
    G1032

• Advertisement

G1032 wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack this thread but there is little point starting a new one for my questions below!!

Hi
    I’m considering chaining my chainset from 52/39 to 50/34.

Current set up is Shimano 105 Chainset 52/39
    Am I right in saying that the 105 52/39 has a 130mm BCD but that the 105 50/34 has a 110mm BCD and I therefore cannot just put a 34T ring on alongside the 52T?? I need to change the whole chainset??

Yeah, 34t won't fit unless your chainset is 5800 which uses 110BCD for all chainring variants. You also need to consider that the maximum recommended difference between big and small is 16t.
    I think then I’d need something like this to remove the crankset http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-crank-install-tool-hollowtech-ii/rp-prod3785
    What do I use though as a lever to turn that removal tool??

When you loosen the pinch bolts in the crank the little tensioner comes out quite easily, you just pull off the crank then.
    Is changing a chainset any more complicated than say changing a cassette??

On a standard BB not really.
    I’m assuming a few links would need to be removed from the chain if going from 52/39 to 50/34

Most likely
    An one other non technical related question please………for those of you on 50/34 – do you spend 99% of your time in the 50 ring? I spend a bit of time in the 39 ring and my fear would be having to use the 50 ring for all the time except for the steeper longer climbs?

Thanks
    G1032

Yes, this time of year I'd be 95% at least in the big ring

• Registered Users Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭G1032

@nilhg
    Thanks very much for the answers!

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭onthefringe

bsb1971 wrote: »
    I am changing from a standard compact to 52/36, and changing my old cassette with an 11/28 rear cassette. Currently my bike has a dura ace 7800 rear derailleur on it, will this be compatible with the new setup or will i need to change it for a medium ultegra 6700 rear derailleur? Or would i be better served just switching to a 52/39 front crankset - would i still have to switch out my rear derailleur?

7800 dura mech will take a 28 tooth cassette easily...
    might need to adjust b screw ( screw that levers the mech awy/up/down from cassette)..
    but it will definitly work
    7800 mech far superior to the 6700 mech!! dont change as it will never die....ever

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

An SS will take a 12-30 (10s), so I have found.

You need an GS for an 11-32 (11s)

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭bsb1971

Thanks for the replies, I do all maintenance and any other work on my bike bar the gearing, as I have had a few mishaps shall we say!!! Brought it to bike mechanic, who told me it won't work, he has tried to set it up, has it working, but not using all cogs on the cassette. He is telling me that what I want to do is only possible on an 11 speed setup........time to go elsewhere perhaps, or try sorting it myself? Don't want the bike up on a work stand for too long, much prefer to be out on the damn thing!!!! Thoughts???

bsb1971 wrote: »
    He is telling me that what I want to do is only possible on an 11 speed setup..

That doesn't make any sense to me :confused:

What cassette ratios were you using with the compact 50/34? You can work out what cassette to buy using http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/ to replicate your low "climbing" gear from the compact, you may not need to go to a 28.

A similar thread with users reporting no issues:- http://road.cc/content/forum/148347-long-or-short-cage-mech-50-34-11-28

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Hi guys,

Sorry to hijack this thread also, but would love to know if i'd be able to change to a 52/36 setup myself.
    Got a Felt F5 back in 2011 (it was the 2010 model) which came with 105 53/39 chainring.

I changed this about 2 years ago to the compact chainset (50/34). To be honest i haven't done a huge amount of cycling on it as I got ill last year and did absoutely none, but back out now and i'm not enjoying it as constantly finding i need to be in the big ring at the front (50).

I was looking on Wiggle and CRC and see that there is a 52/36 105 (5800), but wondering if that will actually work on my bike as i think it's for an 11 speed whereas i think mine is currently a 10.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Sorry to hijack this thread also, but would love to know if i'd be able to change to a 52/36 setup myself.
    Got a Felt F5 back in 2011 (it was the 2010 model) which came with 105 53/39 chainring.

I changed this about 2 years ago to the compact chainset (50/34). To be honest i haven't done a huge amount of cycling on it as I got ill last year and did absoutely none, but back out now and i'm not enjoying it as constantly finding i need to be in the big ring at the front (50).

I was looking on Wiggle and CRC and see that there is a 52/36 105 (5800), but wondering if that will actually work on my bike as i think it's for an 11 speed whereas i think mine is currently a 10.

It'll be fine, 10/11sp makes no difference WRT chainsets.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭diarmaidol

Hi guys,

So you find that your able to get up a 10% gradient in your big (50) ring ?

diarmaidol wrote: »
    Hi guys,

So you find that your able to get up a 10% gradient in your big (50) ring ?
    Smart a**!
    Let me correct myself..... the "majority" of the time i find i need to be in the big ring.
    There aren't many 10% gradient climbs around me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Hi guys,

this thread is making me depressed as I realise I am getting older (and weaker). I have recently gone to 46/34 for my commuting bike and a leg spinning 42/34 for my touring road bike. I just freewheel now when I get a chance..No more big gears.

Hi guys,

It's easier to change your cassette than your chain-set. Maybe consider a closer ratio cassette on the back like an 11-25 or an 11-23 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭diarmaidol

In the end it should come down to 50x11 being too slow for you if you want to move up from a 50 big ring. This makes you capable of spinning @100 rpm going 60km/h. Now I'm only at this crack a year. But I've done 60km/h and it just a small bit on the side of scary on the Irish roads. So unless you have the need to get faster than this for a reasonable amount of time. Compact 50/34 is probably enough. It's also a requirement to get up the hill so you can do 60km/h the other side in the first place, so for me that were I'm happy out with my compact 11-32 11 speed.

ronoc wrote: »
    Hi guys,

It's easier to change your cassette than your chain-set. Maybe consider a closer ratio cassette on the back like an 11-25 or an 11-23 ?
    Already have an 11-25 cassette.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

An SS will take a 12-30 (10s), so I have found.

You need an GS for an 11-32 (11s)

I am running a 11-32 on a SS ultegra 11spd.
    Shimano say it does not work but it does.

I have a 53/39 and can even cross chain 53-32 if for some reason I wanted to.

So, with my current 105 5750 crankset, is it possible to just change the 2 rings seperately or do I need to change the whole group set?
    Currently a 10 speed set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

So, with my current 105 5750 crankset, is it possible to just change the 2 rings seperately or do I need to change the whole group set?

You CAN buy the rings separately, but CRC currently have a complete 105 chainset for sale which is cheaper than the 2 rings.

Vizzy wrote: »

You CAN buy the rings separately, but CRC currently have a complete 105 chainset for sale which is cheaper than the 2 rings.
    Link please??? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

• Advertisement

Vizzy wrote: »

Thanks.

That is the 11 speed though (5800 series).
    Will that be ok with a 10 speed setup?

Advertisement