Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changing to a 52/36 setup

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Thanks.

That is the 11 speed though (5800 series).
    Will that be ok with a 10 speed setup?

Not 100% sure on that.

I think that the 11 speed rings might be slightly narrower than 10 speed ( to allow for a narrower chain) but I read on another thread here today that the 11 speed chainset should be ok for 10 and 11 speed.
    Maybe on of the other lads who run 11 speed might advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Vizzy wrote: »
    Not 100% sure on that.

I think that the 11 speed rings might be slightly narrower than 10 speed ( to allow for a narrower chain) but I read on another thread here today that the 11 speed chainset should be ok for 10 and 11 speed.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/03/bikes-and-tech/technical-faq/technical-faq-10-11-speed-drivetrain-component-compatibility_362722

He's something of an oracle on this kind of stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

nilhg wrote: »
    Vizzy wrote: »
    Not 100% sure on that.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/03/bikes-and-tech/technical-faq/technical-faq-10-11-speed-drivetrain-component-compatibility_362722

He's something of an oracle on this kind of stuff
    Still don't understand if it will work or not.
    I know he says he has used 10 speed cranks with 11 speed systems, but can you do the opposite - i.e. put in a new crank for the 11 speed system, but use it with a 10 system.

Still don't understand if it will work or not.
    I know he says he has used 10 speed cranks with 11 speed systems, but can you do the opposite - i.e. put in a new crank for the 11 speed system, but use it with a 10 system.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/components-wrenching/ultegra-6800-cranks-10-speed-compatible-311155.html#post4602227

http://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/967207-using-11-speed-crankset-10-speed-system.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

mloc123 wrote: »
    I am running a 11-32 on a SS ultegra 11spd.
    Shimano say it does not work but it does.

I have a 53/39 and can even cross chain 53-32 if for some reason I wanted to.

That is good to know. I think Shimano say the SS should only go as far as a 28t max!

Considering I had no issues with the 12-30 on a 10s system, as in I didn't have to adjust the B screw much (or put it in backwards, as I had read somewhere!) I had wondered if the SS one would do a 32t 11s, as there isn't that much more of a jump from 30 to 32t!

Did you have to do anything special with the B screw? Or just tweak it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

shaka wrote: »
    want to the same by end of summer . Want to change from compact to 52/36 , have 11/28. Keeping an eye on the bargain thread with the fingers crossed.

You could just change your Chainrings as 52/36 has the same bcd as your compact 50/34. A slightly longer chain and that's it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

That is good to know. I think Shimano say the SS should only go as far as a 28t max!

Considering I had no issues with the 12-30 on a 10s system, as in I didn't have to adjust the B screw much (or put it in backwards, as I had read somewhere!) I had wondered if the SS one would do a 32t 11s, as there isn't that much more of a jump from 30 to 32t!

Did you have to do anything special with the B screw? Or just tweak it?

Tweaked the B screw maybe 1-2 turns, that gave me plenty of clearance on the 32. I think it depends on the dropout shape, I had read online that some ppl had to get a longer screw etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

dvntie wrote: »
    You could just change your Chainrings as 52/36 has the same bcd as your compact 50/34. A slightly longer chain and that's it

Can both chainrings be changed? Was talking to a guy today who advised me to change the inner ring to a 36 - but to keep the 50 outer ring.

So, with my current 105 5750 crankset, is it possible to just change the 2 rings seperately or do I need to change the whole group set?
    Currently a 10 speed set up.
    dvntie wrote: »
    Can both chainrings be changed? Was talking to a guy today who advised me to change the inner ring to a 36 - but to keep the 50 outer ring.

I'm not sure if it's possible to buy 52 or 36 tooth standard round chainrings to fit a 5 arm shimano spider though they are available for the 4 arm spider, both of which are 110BCD, I know you can buy third party oval rings to fit either version but I'm not sure where you'd get shimano rings.

Advertisement