Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

prevelance of hamstring and groin injuries in Gaa

• 05-06-2015 9:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

Its something im seeing a lot of lately. Recurring hamstring and groin pulls and seems to be coming primarily from Gaa players. Im not a Gaa player and would like the get the view point from current players as to why they think this might be happening

As an aside, any clubs who would like me to do a free workshop in hamstring/groin injuries prehab and rehab send me a pm.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

thehamo wrote: »
    Its something im seeing a lot of lately. Recurring hamstring and groin pulls and seems to be coming primarily from Gaa players. Im not a Gaa player and would like the get the view point from current players as to why they think this might be happening

As an aside, any clubs who would like me to do a free workshop in hamstring/groin injuries prehab and rehab send me a pm.

The reason is obvious, poor conditioning . The old model of training of a long run (10 to 20 mins) followed by the harder stuff such as 3/4 pace runs then sprints.has been replaced by more strength and sprint work. The players are not properly warmed up to sprint and the strength work is not built up gradually enough leading to all the leg muscle damage that is prevalent esp at club level. Particularly at club but also at inter county level, level the need for sprinting and strength work is overstated. 60 to 70 minute games require more endurance than speed and training should reflect that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

ultrapercy wrote: »
    The reason is obvious, poor conditioning . The old model of training of a long run (10 to 20 mins) followed by the harder stuff such as 3/4 pace runs then sprints.has been replaced by more strength and sprint work. The players are not properly warmed up to sprint and the strength work is not built up gradually enough leading to all the leg muscle damage that is prevalent esp at club level. Particularly at club but also at inter county level, level the need for sprinting and strength work is overstated. 60 to 70 minute games require more endurance than speed and training should reflect that.

I would agree and disagree to a certain extent. Many lowerlevel clubs still employ the run for 20 minutes and do some ball work/sprint work model yet they still report with these injuries. Im sure a lot of people here can testify to that fact. An appropriate s&c program should account for training variables to increase both strengrh and muscular endurance that is very much agreed. Anecdotally I have heard a lot of teams training on hard surfaces such as astro turf etc they feel is when it is giving them issues.

Appropriate warm up is something I see as lacking as u mentioned, their muscles simply dont seem to be primed for the task in hand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

thehamo wrote: »
    I would agree and disagree to a certain extent. Many lowerlevel clubs still employ the run for 20 minutes and do some ball work/sprint work model yet they still report with these injuries. Im sure a lot of people here can testify to that fact. An appropriate s&c program should account for training variables to increase both strengrh and muscular endurance that is very much agreed. Anecdotally I have heard a lot of teams training on hard surfaces such as astro turf etc they feel is when it is giving them issues.

Appropriate warm up is something I see as lacking as u mentioned, their muscles simply dont seem to be primed for the task in hand

I do agree that astro pitches pose an increased injury risk compared to grass surface. Often these astro pitches are reduced sized and have perspex walls thus leading to very sudden stops and acute turns. But the surface itself seems to have less give and cause feet to lock on it so body weight shunts onto leg muscles and joints for support.

Advertisement