Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cycling on a pedestrian bridge

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tipparetops

Yes, this will definitely happen. Sure look all over Europe, the whole place is becoming less and less tolerant of cyclists...

lol

Poland requires young cyclists tohave bike cards. I have seen it on a cycling forum thread set up to see if a child cycling on a footpath is illegal. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

We all know what has to be done.
    1. Bicycle licence
    2. register all bicycles
    3. children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult cyclist at all times.
    4. No bicycles allowed on footpaths
    5. All cyclists must have insurance - children cycling must be included on their parents insurance.

You missed cycle tax. One poster suggested 120 Euros per annum, which is nearly 5 times that of a basic motor bike. Oh and a NCT for bikes as well - although they're not required for motorbikes - it's best cyclists have it as well.

There's bound to be a few I've overlooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Article 30(2) of the Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) Regulations 1997.

Emphasis mine.

Much quicker than me as usual, I was still looking at 1968.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    You missed cycle tax. One poster suggested 120 Euros per annum, which is nearly 5 times that of a basic motor bike. Oh and a NCT for bikes as well - although they're not required for motorbikes - it's best cyclists have it as well.

There's bound to be a few I've overlooked.

Nothing is free in this country, someone has to pay for the cycle infrastructure.
    Motorists pay for their car to be on the road, should cyclists not pay something for their lanes.
    :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

dubscottie wrote: »
    And which part should I look over again?? Perhaps you should remind your cycling friends of the act also.

The bit about green lights, you should know, you had too, for work remember?

I hope it was a paperwork based job because your driving style is not one I would want any of my employees on the clock to have, unable to stop on red because you have the superpower to know that the person behind you cannot operate their brakes.

I don't know many cyclists, the majority I know would seem to have a greater grasp or at least respect for it than yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Did you see my exchange earlier with the gardai about persistent parking in a mandatory cycling lane? Make, model and reg of car passed on in clear photographs. Nothing done. How do you think it'll be different with a cyclist wearing a reg plate on a hi-vis?

Loo, I'm all for people in all modes of vehicles being prosecuted - but it's don to enforcement. There's simply little out there. You can have all the rules you like, cyclists wearing billboard sized numbers on their back / tattooed into their foreheads or embedded in chips or wherever, but unless it's backed up by enforcement nothing will happen and the behaviors will continue.

Well let's a cyclist mounts the path and hits me (as a pedestrian) and then just cycles off .......... not much I can do about it right?

Well let's say he has a Registered Hi-Vis jacket and I manage to take down the number ........... I can then hire a solicitor and sue that cyclist for damages regardless of any lazy Guard's attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

Yes, this will definitely happen. Sure look all over Europe, the whole place is becoming less and less tolerant of cyclists...

lol

They had the **** bombed out them so had a blank canvas. There was little or no cars in 1945/6 and even less fuel. Only way round? Bike..

So unless you plan to nuke Dublin and rebuild around your cycling utopia, get use to the other road users and the laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭RecordStraight

Nothing is free in this country, someone has to pay for the cycle infrastructure.
    Motorists pay for their car to be on the road, should cyclists not pay something for their lanes.
    What do pedestrians pay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

They do in income tax, what you're asking is should they pay something extra. As primarily a motorist and pedestrian I, personally, say no. I'd rather have them off the main roads and off the foot path.

The likelihood is if hit by a cyclist you're going to be able to get their details. They are potential guilty of assault and should be reported to the Gardai.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Reg plates for bikes is a very inefficient system. Just microchip people instead, in the same way we do pets. Could be used for tracking down more than just errant cyclists. You could identify people doing a whole range of other stuff too.

CramCycle wrote: »
    The bit about green lights, you should know, you had too, for work remember?

I hope it was a paperwork based job because your driving style is not one I would want any of my employees on the clock to have, unable to stop on red because you have the superpower to know that the person behind you cannot operate their brakes.

I don't know many cyclists, the majority I know would seem to have a greater grasp or at least respect for it than yourself.

It was enforcement.. All I will say. You never answered my question about the 200+ motorist deaths..

They do - as motorists, tax payers and consumers. I'm one. Or should I pay twice? There's a chap on here who'll be on any minute - you'll get along well with him. He's got some great ideas about cyclists and tax, including 50% VAT rates on bikes. LOL.

They had the **** bombed out them so had a blank canvas. There was little or no cars in 1945/6 and even less fuel. Only way round? Bike..
    'They'? Like, every city in Europe?

Have you travelled much, at all?
    So unless you plan to nuke Dublin and rebuild around your cycling utopia, get use to the other road users and the laws.
    I don't cycle.

MadDog76 wrote: »
    How do you know none of them are being tracked down? You don't know that and neither do I .......... what we do know is that the cyclists can't be tracked down ........

You must think little of the Gardai if you think they cannot track down cyclists based on video footage, a time and location.
    95% of them would be tracked down and talked to within 7 days if a push was made and not a very hard push either.

What do pedestrians pay?

more of it again. Footpaths are used by everyone, cycling paths are only for the privileged few.

You seem very pro cycling considering you said you have not cycled in 10 years or is that more lies.:pac:

• Advertisement

Reg plates for bikes is a very inefficient system. Just microchip people instead, in the same way we do pets. Could be used for tracking down more than just errant cyclists. You could identify people doing a whole range of other stuff too.

You could also have a RFID tag on you helmet - just scan yourself and key locations around the city.

They could have pre-recorded messages to remind you "stay off the footpath", "remember - green means go, red means stop" or "don't cycle down one way streets - you could be hurt or killed". All paid for through the new cycle tax.

more of it again. Footpaths are used by everyone, cycling paths are only for the privileged few.
    What, like Denis O'Brien and George Soros? Fair point.
    You seem very pro cycling considering you said you have not cycled in 10 years or is that more lies.:pac:
    Closer to 9 years. I don't have to be black to object to racism, do I?

The cycling forum gang are here, yet again fighting against registration and trying to kill debate.
    Their mods will come soon.
    Why? They say they are good cyclists, than why do they try and shut down talk about regulation of cyclists.

You must think little of the Gardai if you think they cannot track down cyclists based on video footage, a time and location.
    95% of them would be tracked down and talked to within 7 days if a push was made and not a very hard push either.

Pardon my accent but that's complete b******s and you know it!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

We all know what has to be done.
    1. Bicycle licence
    2. register all bicycles
    3. children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult cyclist at all times.
    4. No bicycles allowed on footpaths
    5. All cyclists must have insurance - children cycling must be included on their parents insurance.

So no children learning to cycle in their estates?

The cycling forum gang are here, yet again fighting against registration and trying to kill debate.
    Their mods will come soon.
    Why? They say they are good cyclists, than why do they try and shut down talk about regulation of cyclists.
    What about the regulation of pedestrians? I've been bumped into loads of times by pedestrians (particularly in Dublin). I've never been hit by a bike.

Isn't it time that pedestrians wore a licence plate? I saw a young pedestrian bash into an old lady once, only God could stop me that day I tell you.

What, like Denis O'Brien and George Soros? Fair point.

Closer to 9 years. I don't have to be black to object to racism, do I?

Are cyclists now a race. LOL:pac:

It was enforcement.. All I will say. You never answered my question about the 200+ motorist deaths..
    I think you have mixed me up with another poster. I pointed out you lack of knowledge on traffic lights and the road traffic act. I welcome any upsurge in road traffic act enforcement. I also haven't once mentioned 200+ motorist deaths.

Everyone uses cycle paths, runners for running, parents for pram pushing, undertaking lane for left turning traffic, 5 minute parking and all day parking if your near you car.

Hardly the privileged few.

So no children learning to cycle in their estates?

accompanied, yes

What about the regulation of pedestrians? I've been bumped into loads of times by pedestrians (particularly in Dublin). I've never been hit by a bike.

Isn't it time that pedestrians wore a licence plate? I saw a young pedestrian bash into an old lady once, only God could stop me that day I tell you.

Please explain what you did to that young girl pedestrian? Some man you are.
    I hope you did not put your hands on her.

Are cyclists now a race. LOL:pac:
    analogy
    əˈnalədʒi/Submit
    noun
    a comparison between one thing and another, typically for the purpose of explanation or clarification.
    HTH

Although you accused Wikipedia of lying earlier with its definition of assault, so maybe it won't help...

'They'? Like, every city in Europe?

Have you travelled much, at all?

I don't cycle.

I have traveled. Made it to the Falklands.. anyway, Most of the cyclists "we need the dutch model" crap is based around the belief that it can be done anywhere.

It cant. The Dutch have cycles everywhere as they had no choice in 1944-1948.

It was the only way to get round as the did not have the choice of car or bike.

It was bike or walk.

accompanied, yes

More hysteria. Call social services someone

Please explain what you did to that young girl pedestrian? Some man you are.
    I hope you did not put your hands on her.
    But you agree that pedestrians should have some sort of registration system due to incidents like that, where people bash into each other?

• Advertisement

HTH

Although you accused Wikipedia of lying earlier with its definition of assault, so maybe it won't help...

your thinking of another poster there with the wikipedia comment.

More hysteria. Call social services someone

dont expect someone else to raise your children

But you agree that pedestrians should have some sort of registration system due to incidents like that, where people bash into each other?

i have never seen a pedestrian running at 20 miles an hour, have you old boy.
    lets keep it real around here.

It cant. The Dutch have cycles everywhere as they had no choice in 1944-1948.

It was the only way to get round as the did not have the choice of car or bike.

It was bike or walk.

Actually this is a common misconception, it was their over reliance on fossil fuels in the 1970s. There's a very interesting video available on YouTube that explains it.

What the Dutch did realise in the 70s what that a disproportionate amount of children were being killed on roads. They totally reinvented their infrastructure, training and attitude to totally turn this around.

Edit here's one link to the petrol crisis the Dutch endured in the 70's

https://bicycledutch.wordpress.com/2013/12/01/car-free-sundays-a-40-year-anniversary/

Nor a cyclist doing 30mph on a path. Unless it's on strava it didn't happen (cycling joke, sorry)

You don't have to be running at 20mph to knock down a poor old granny - 5mph is loads. So how best to identify pedestrians? The hi-vis vest would work just as well, I suppose - you could just have your PPS number on it maybe? Or your name and date of birth?

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Pardon my accent but that's complete b******s and you know it!!! :D

Even the freshest Garda could get most of them if given enough incentive. I have done it with little effort myself when a guy skimmed me while I was stopped at a traffic light. I can give a rough guess to time of day based on what cyclists I see on the roads in the morning, people are creatures of habit.

(Time of Day maybe made up for dramatic effect)

dont expect someone else to raise your children

Love this comment. It means absolutely nothing. Can you explain it please. Or perhaps I'll leave one of my over 18 neighbours accompany my little boy when he wants to go somewhere on his bike?

Even the freshest Garda could get most of them if given enough incentive. I have done it with little effort myself when a guy skimmed me while I was stopped at a traffic light. I can give a rough guess to time of day based on what cyclists I see on the roads in the morning, people are creatures of habit.

(Time of Day maybe made up for dramatic effect)

Like the rest of your post ......... just saying. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Sure I never try to avoid them cyclists on that bridge or on any pedestrian crossing if they skipped the red lights (worst offenders at the Spire and Amiens St outside Connolly). Don't they even dare shout at me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Nor a cyclist doing 30mph on a path. Unless it's on strava it didn't happen (cycling joke, sorry)

I could cycle 30mph at 14, no doubt an adult who cycles is capable of this :confused:

While you are being flippant a bike is metal and bikes go faster than pedestrians, a few years ago a guy (at least 11 stone) on a bike came over a humpback bridge so quick when I looked left before walking he wasn't there, he nailed me in the small of my back from the left and hit me with enough force he ended up on the ground about 10 feet from me, my back wasn't right for almost a year.

No way in hell someone sprinting flat out could have done that and I would have heard a runner so reacted to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Shemale wrote: »
    I could cycle 30mph at 14, no doubt an adult who cycles is capable of this :confused:

While you are being flippant a bike is metal and bikes go faster than pedestrians, a few years ago a guy (at least 11 stone) on a bike came over a humpback bridge so quick when I looked left before walking he wasn't there, he nailed me in the small of my back from the left and hit me with enough force he ended up on the ground about 10 feet from me, my back wasn't right for almost a year.

No way in hell someone sprinting flat out could have done that and I would have heard a runner so reacted to it.
    Ah sure they'll have an answer but look if it was a car youd be dead. See cyclists are great. Your not dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Well, that is because that would be a runner, not a pedestrian.

Ah sure they'll have an answer but look if it was a car youd be dead. See cyclists are great. Your not dead.

So a cyclists hits someone - I'm sure it's not the first and it won't be the last. I'm sure there's plenty more cases. What do you expect is going to happen - someone ask him to back up his story?

Read back over the thread - none of the cyclists here condoned reckless or irresponsible behaviour, and a few have acknowledged the one in the OP was a d!ck.

It seems to be a common misconception that motorists think cyclists have an agenda to go around defending the indefensible, which is more than often not the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I put my hand up, stand in front of them and point to the road.
    Have done it a few times, never get out of the way for any cyclist.
    young or old.
    the young always move, I am a big guy.
    And if the adults cyclists want to dance, we dance.
    there is no change in my views.
    meeting a 3 year old on a tricycle with their parents is like meeting a 3 year old in a pram with their parents.

What cyclists always forget is the elderly. I once saw a young cyclist hit an elderly person on a footpath. Only God could have stopped me that day.

So you are willing to confront a child cycling on the pavement but only if they are alone? Some big tough guy you are :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Let me guess, you drive to work?

Sometimes I cycle, sometimes I get the bus, and sometimes I drive if I'm not going to the main office. Like must cyclists on here, I use all forms of transport.

And as a user of all forms of transport, I repeat....people are taking this way too seriously. As you have seen from Garda responses posted earlier on this thread, there are bigger things in life to worry about

Sometimes I cycle, sometimes I get the bus, and sometimes I drive if I'm not going to the main office. Like must cyclists on here, I use all forms of transport.

And as a user of all forms of transport, I repeat....people are taking this way too seriously. As you have seen from Garda responses posted earlier on this thread, there are bigger things in life to worry about

It's all about enforcement enforcement and enforcement. Did see a Garda this morning pulling in a cyclist on a Dublin bike who broke reds at capel street, and a white van man makin an illegal u turn at clanbrassil St. Right place right time but more of this please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Helmet-cam or no Helmet-cam, I would've been introducing his bicycle to the splendour of the River Liffey!

That would be assault and theft.

A lot of really nasty behaviour on the roads seems to have become almost accepted lately. I was cycling to the train the other day. Waiting at the lights by James Joyce Bridge, just as the lights changed a cyclist came belting across the road in front of the traffic (including myself) that was about to go with the green light. He was heading for an entrance into a building or between buildings.

He misjudged his timing and hit the pavement, and came off the bike with a nasty crack. I heard a loud "notice me" laugh from one of the cars. Then all of the drivers pulled away. Not one stopped to help this guy, who was lying, apparently injured, on the path. What kind of society is that? What kind of people would do that?

Did you every think of signing for a pro-team when you were 14?

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jul/21/news/la-heb-tour-de-france-20110721

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Did you every think of signing for a pro-team when you were 14?

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jul/21/news/la-heb-tour-de-france-20110721

I was cycling in France with my 16-year-old son, and as it happens I had a speedometer on the bike; on one long downhill we hit 38mph. I remember it because I was trying frantically to catch up with him, screaming, because the heavy steel boule that he'd picked up earlier was swinging dangerously towards his spokes as his pannier bag frayed…

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement