Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cycling on a pedestrian bridge

167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I was cycling in France with my 16-year-old son, and as it happens I had a speedometer on the bike; on one long downhill we hit 38mph. I remember it because I was trying frantically to catch up with him, screaming, because the heavy steel boule that he'd picked up earlier was swinging dangerously towards his spokes as his pannier bag frayed…

Ah sure on a down hill, hit close to 90kph myself. But on a footpath? 30mph is mightly impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    It's all about enforcement enforcement and enforcement. Did see a Garda this morning pulling in a cyclist on a Dublin bike who broke reds at capel street, and a white van man makin an illegal u turn at clanbrassil St. Right place right time but more of this please.

And you have not seen a single cyclist on this thread not support this. All the legislation is there....all this licencing stuff is nonsense. We just need Garda acting like that this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

And you have not seen a single cyclist on this thread not support this. All the legislation is there....all this licencing stuff is nonsense. We just need Garda acting like that this morning

We also need separated bicycle lanes, well-designed so some cyclists can go fast and others like myself can amble along and look at the scenery, and neither class needs to interact with cars at all.

If a law or social custom begins to be regularly broken by ordinary people, it's usually because that law or custom is no longer fit for purpose. This is the time when a redesign is necessary. In this case, designated, car-free cycling lanes, with barriers to prevent cars driving into them or parking on them, and with their own traffic lights (and ones that work for cyclists).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Like the rest of your post ......... just saying. :)

FFS, I cycle to work every day, I see many of the same faces every day, not exactly the same ones every day but over the course of two weeks, the majority of faces repeat themselves. The same way most motorists will use specific routes to get into work, college or for visiting, cycling is much the same.

If your telling me that if if the Gardai had high quality video footage, that they wouldn't be able to pop down a week later, arrive an hour early, stay an hour later and nab the majority of cyclists they observed then you really are insulting towards the AGS.

It's not rocket science, I imagine most older national school kids could put together the ins and outs of the plan without much trouble.

But listen, you go on believing that without some hi vis (wonder how hard that is to copy, considering the number of fake taxi plates) cyclists are beyond regulation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭RecordStraight

CramCycle wrote: »
    But listen, you go on believing that without some hi vis (wonder how hard that is to copy, considering the number of fake taxi plates) cyclists are beyond regulation.
    Well this is easily dealt with: pedestrians and cyclists will be routinely stopped to check that their hi-vis vests match with their true identities. The down side is you will have to carry ID with you whenever you leave your house, and everyone is going be stopped a lot by Gardaí for ID checks*, but the upside is that dangerous pedestrians and cyclists can reliably be identified.

*we may need to increase the number of Gardaí

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So no children learning to cycle in their estates?
    And nobody cycling to school.

Turn our kids into even bigger porkers. Great idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I read the first eight pages of this thread, I'm guessing the other thirty are the same?

petes wrote: »
    I read the first eight pages of this thread, I'm guessing the other thirty are the same?
    It gets funnier. You haven't got to the guy who chases small children on bikes into traffic yet.

Well this is easily dealt with: pedestrians and cyclists will be routinely stopped to check that their hi-vis vests match with their true identities. The down side is you will have to carry ID with you whenever you leave your house, and everyone is going be stopped a lot by Gardaí for ID checks*, but the upside is that dangerous pedestrians and cyclists can reliably be identified.

Mandatory IDs, numbers imprinted on people as they walk around, uniforms essentially for everyone. I, at first, was imagining some weird cult sci fi story being worked into the thread but the I realised someone mentioned the bombings in the 40s.

I didn't realise how far they wanted to go with this belief that cyclists are another race :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭mathie

You don't have to be running at 20mph to knock down a poor old granny - 5mph is loads. So how best to identify pedestrians? The hi-vis vest would work just as well, I suppose - you could just have your PPS number on it maybe? Or your name and date of birth?

Mandatory PPS number tatooed on forehead of Joe Public would solve all.

• Advertisement

Shemale wrote: »
    I could cycle 30mph at 14, no doubt an adult who cycles is capable of this :confused:
    Downhill, with the wind at your back, perhaps, not routinely.

Mandatory IDs, numbers imprinted on people as they walk around, uniforms essentially for everyone. I, at first, was imagining some weird cult sci fi story being worked into the thread but the I realised someone mentioned the bombings in the 40s.

I didn't realise how far they wanted to go with this belief that cyclists are another race :pac:
    Let's be fair: I think we've reached a broad consensus that - as pedestrians can also be a hazard, especially to the very young and very old - pedestrians should also be registered and required to wear hi-vis jerseys with their registration number clearly printed thereon.

Nobody can complain about that, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Will also have the added benefit of cutting down on the dangerous level of texting whilst walking

petes wrote: »

There is some amazing examples of Poe's Law in action if you ever need examples, this thread has loads of them.

Someone still has to read it though, that's all too much work.

Look, let's just stick RFID chips in everyone's arm and RFID readers at every set of traffic lights. That way everyone will be registered every time they pass a set of traffic lights and punished accordingly if they break them.

Sure it's a gross violation of privacy, but if it stops a few people from engaging in really irritating behaviour, then it's all worth it, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

There is some amazing examples of Poe's Law in action if you ever need examples, this thread has loads of them.

At least I learned what Poe's law is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tipparetops

this thread has truly been derailed by cycling forum trolls/nazis,

Reasons why cycling should be restricted/ regulated

cyclists actually increase emissions by causing tailbacks thereby harming the environment
    cyclists are dangerous because they suffer from what I have coined - bull syndrome
    cyclists are all colour blind
    cyclists suffer from real anger issues
    And most damning of all, lycra must be stopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

cyclists actually increase emissions by causing tailbacks thereby harming the environment
    cyclists are dangerous because they suffer from what I have coined - bull syndrome

Always been that way since they were told they needn't cycle in cycle lanes in 2012, they just turn up everywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,725 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

You then go on to post this :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Ah you didn't did you?

but i am not a cycling forum member.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I prefer the term "supernazi". Or maybe "meganazi"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Didn't look in this thread for a while.

Was wondering how long it would be before people would start coming up with wild scenarios involving children.

they actually reduce traffic jams, this should not be too hard to figure out.
    this makes no sense - what is it, something that spews out of the mouth of someone who doesn't know what they are on about, I suspect cyclists are not the only ones to suffer from this if your posts are anything to go by.
    What type of colour blindness, I have been checked and don't suffer from it.
    at least their real, I have had people attempt to assault me for stopping at red lights, talk about stupid reasons to get angry.
    If you can't focus on the roads while I am wearing my sexy, sexy lycra, that says more of your ability to prioritise while in traffic than anything else, it's true what they say, feels like I am wearing nothing at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

this makes no sense - what is it, something that spews out of the mouth of someone who doesn't know what they are on about, I suspect cyclists are not the only ones to suffer from this if your posts are anything to go by.
    at least their real, I have had people attempt to assault me for stopping at red lights, talk about stupid reasons to get angry.
    If you can't focus on the roads while I am wearing my sexy, sexy lycra, that says more of your ability to prioritise while in traffic than anything else, it's true what they say, feels like I am wearing nothing at all.
    Still have no regrets about leaving this in your forum of peace? :P

• Advertisement

here they come, the cycling forum crowd.
    Trying to shout down real questions.
    this post proves that bull syndrome and anger issues are a cyclists best friends.

Are people still being serious?
    I thought we'd entered parody since page 2.

here they come, the cycling forum crowd.
    Trying to shout down real questions.
    this post proves that bull syndrome and anger issues are a cyclists best friends.

You are indeed right, nothing says anger issues like calmed and reasoned response in a discussion :rolleyes:

You didn't have any questions, you made points which I either refuted or asked for clarification on. None of yours were based on fact or evidence, just your opinion. I would hope that reasoned debate my open your mind to the possibility that your views that all cyclists are the same is incorrect but, well, that's your choice to make.

mathie wrote: »
    Are people still being serious?
    I thought we'd entered parody since page 2.

another cycling forum person.
    everything cycling forum persons post here is BS, made in cycling forum

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Right, I'm closing this thread. +500 posts, probably about 12 about the actual incident from the OP. It's had tangents on:

- moderation of AH
    - moderation of other forums
    - tricycles were mentioned
    - nazis - many types
    - Poe's Law
    - Downhill wind speed
    - Microchipping

And that is all from the last 30 posts.

I don't think that we have solved this cyclist/motorist/pedestrian/tricycle debate quite yet.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement