Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cycling on a pedestrian bridge

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

not yet wrote: »
    So now not believing someone or thinking they have an agenda is blaming the victim...

Well done you..

Don't post in this thread again please.
    You obviously have no intention of discussing the topic, just trying to cause unrest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Don't post in this thread again please.
    You obviously have no intention of discussing the topic, just trying to cause unrest.

Bravo...

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Bravo...

Ban-o

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭chanelfreak

What baffles me altogether is that the OP and subsequent other posters (myself included) have clearly stated that we are not lumping all cyclists together - we are just discussing the actions of one moron.

However, I do understand that cyclists get a lot of stick so perhaps it is to be expected that they can be a bit sensitive. Either that or it's the cycling mod with the shiny legs blinding them all ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Bravo...

*facepalm*

Oh well, back to cyclists. They're road users without a licence or training, so it's inevitable that some of them will be entitled dicks. And some of them may well just be ignorant. However, in a cyclist-any other road user collision, it's almost inevitable that the cyclist will come off worse, and pay for a long time for the resulting damage to them, so it roughly balances out.

This guy deserved all he got.

• Advertisement

I wonder if it was a car vs. pedestrians would the avid motorists leap to the defence of each other. It seems no matter what theres a squad of cyclists ready to claim innocence no matter what the circumstance. You can't criticise Cyclists.
    Yes... the only thing I can liken it to is Cork patriotism.

You knock Dublin, and you'll have a load of Dubliners chortle in agreement.

You knock Cork, or make some passing reference to 'town', and the red mist descends. It's a sort of inferiority mindset perhaps.

Have you ever seen an indignation of cyclists being obstructed by a guy in a sportscar? They go bloody ape. Fox in a henhouse sort of thing.

Cork patriots... cyclists... very excitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

You knock Cork, or make some passing reference to 'town', and the red mist descends. It's a sort of inferiority mindset perhaps.

Have you ever seen an indignation of cyclists being obstructed by a guy in a sportcar? They go bloody ape.

Cork patriots... cyclists... very easily wound-up in my opinion.

HOW DARE YOU INSULT CORK!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

I wonder if it was a car vs. pedestrians would the avid motorists leap to the defence of each other. It seems no matter what theres a squad of cyclists ready to claim innocence no matter what the circumstance. You can't criticise Cyclists.

Can you show where on this thread the 'squad of cyclists' have claimed that the cyclist on the bridge was innocent?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Samaris wrote: »
    Experience that OP persistently makes things up as part of her apparent anti-cyclist agenda? Do you follow her around with a CCTV camera or something?

Timberrrr, spotted a furtive-looking chap/chappess following you around Dublin lately? :D

Her, :pac:

:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I agree with Timberrrrrrrr, the guy on the bridge was a d*ck, but worse than that, he was a d*ck who put other people at risk. I meet people like this every day, the world will be a better place if Darwinism was a little bit more stringent but, well, it is what it is.

Depending on the situation, when the guy mentioned calling the Gardai, I would have taken out my phone and rang them myself. I wasn't there so I don't know, but there is nothing wrong with Timberrrrrrs response. i would have felt bad about the coffee until he shouted at me, I am not a fan of others suffering even if they deserve it but I would have gotten over that once he gave out rather than apologised.

As for the cycling forum, it has nothing to do with Timberrrrrs post, it has to do with the hundred after it that think if you are on a bike, you are not a person, you are the person on the bridge. The thing is, I am not the person on the bridge, nor are most cyclists, and to be honest, having to mod the sh1tstorm that kicks off each time, is not worth the hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

circadian wrote: »
    I cycle every day and you do see some idiots about, regardless of their choice in transport. I'll take my bike on to a path/pedestrian area if needs be but I'm rolling slowly I'd never dream of hoofing it down a pedestrian area, just asking for trouble.
    EDIT:Only if the area is quiet, otherwise I'll get off and push.

Although yesterday my bike got clipped by some tool looking down at his phone, he didn't notice and was long gone before I could catch a reg. Blue Peugeot 307 though, I'll be keeping an eye out.

Yeah OP you get idiots in all walks of life. A bit of courtesy and manners can take you a ling way, some people have forgotten this.

That's not what it's for, stay off the footpath or walk.

Do it in any Dutch city and you'll see yourself getting a ticket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Well, in defence of both Cork and cyclists, I'd just say that there are some pricks here with an over inflated sense of entitlement when it comes to roads, regardless of their method of travel. But much much less than there seems to be in Dublin.

I think we all need to start focusing on the true root cause of all this animosity... Dubliners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

BizzyC wrote: »
    All I can see is people saying "this particular cyclist was a pr!ck" followed by 3 or 4 posts of "OMG!! You guyz are all ignorant to generalise cyclists!".

Oh come on....what's the point of the thread other than to imply that cyclists are a menace.

I was driving down the country the other day and saw a driver pull off an overtake with not enough room. Oncoming car had to slow urgently. Let's start a thread about that driver. Actually let's start thousands of threads about individuals that we have seen do something stupid.

Ridiculous thread if it is indeed about one individual and nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Have you ever seen an indignation of cyclists being obstructed by a guy in a sportscar? They go bloody ape. Fox in a henhouse sort of thing.

What about a patriotic cork cyclist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭newport2

What about a patriotic cork cyclist?

Corcylists?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

So apparently the cycling forum doesn't allow threads about this sort of thing so I will share this mornings experience with the nice people of AH and ask for your own experiences when it comes to gob****es on bikes.
    That guy seems like a charming member of the race, pity he didn't end up in the river to cool off!
    Cyclists are pricks. Drivers are pricks. More often than not, pedestrians are pricks. Nothing to see here. Except a completely disproportionate and unhealthy level of rage!
    Most road users are great and will help others if they can but cyclists are by far the most prone to having the red mist cloud their actions. it has a lot to do with the physical exertion and them being all pumped up with adrenalin and when even the smallest thing happens they can blow a fuse and descend into the red mist.
    in fairness though,

some of the cyclists with go pro cameras are just flutes looking for trouble

https://www.youtube.com/user/CycleDub/videos

and then this other flute that disables all comments on all videos because he doesn't like to hear how he is wrong

https://www.youtube.com/user/talk2liam/videos
    they must have really crappy lives if they spend so much time editing reviewing and uploading all that crap to facetube.
    This was all over twitter before the newspapers picked it up. And the guys 'cycle friendly' coffee bars have been crucified on social media. If anyone looks at @brew cafe on twitter they'll see the reaction

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/driver-who-launched-road-rage-tirade-at-cyclist-suffers-torrent-of-abuse-online-10292123.html

But to continue the general tone and intelligence of this thread......this driver is an aggressive d*ck who nearly took out a cyclist then threatened to kill him, therefore all drivers are aggressive d*cks with rage issues
    Sounds to me like the cyclist is the main/initial agressor and certainly uses more profanity than the driver. he also seems to go out to cause further confrontation by hitting the drivers vehicle and holding his bike up to his chest(whatever that might be for).

Check out this complete dildo, he is (IMO) intentionally cycling into danger just to make a video and goad people into an argument.

Sorry about the music :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

That's not what it's for, stay off the footpath or walk.

Do it in any Dutch city and you'll see yourself getting a ticket.

If we can have Dutch cycling infrastructure, I'll hand out the tickets to rule-breaking cyclists myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I'm sorry, I'm having trouble reading these posts in the glare from my immaculate, oiled legs.

Another reason to hate cyclists!!! That image is burned in my head!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Sounds to me like the cyclist is the main/initial agressor and certainly uses more profanity than the driver. he also seems to go out to cause further confrontation by hitting the drivers vehicle and holding his bike up to his chest(whatever that might be for).

So passing too close and scaring cyclists is okay with you? You've hit the nail on the head there....the number of drivers who are clueless about how much space to leave (which is in the driving theory test, incidentally) which leads cyclist to defend themselves

And you're genuinely the only person I've seen in the last few days defend this twat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

PeadarCo wrote: »
    I presume next time you get a thump you'll got to the boxing forum and start a discussion on all the bad times you got a box and how bad boxers are, or next time someone gets shot you'll got to the shooting forum and start a thread on all the bad instances of guns and how bad shooter are, or the next time you have a car accident you'll go to the motors forum and start a similar thread.

What do you expect to happen? No one in the cycling forum would defend the cyclist in that instance and more to the point why should you expect them to? Why not just start a thread here on all the bad things that happened to you today/yesterday/etc would be just as purposeful.

I've seen plenty of posters on the cycling forum claiming it's perfectly fine to cycle across that specific bridge, and that cyclists should take priority on it anyway.

blackwhite wrote: »
    I've seen plenty of posters on the cycling forum claiming it's perfectly fine to cycle across that specific bridge, and that cyclists should take priority on it anyway.

Cyclists have the right to do whatever they wish. Anyone who disagrees is wrong. Motorists cause all accidents pedestrians are ignorant and without bike thus they are invalid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Most road users are great and will help others if they can but cyclists are by far the most prone to having the red mist cloud their actions. it has a lot to do with the physical exertion and them being all pumped up with adrenalin and when even the smallest thing happens they can blow a fuse and descend into the red mist.

I think this perception is just due to the vulnerability of the cyclist. A careless manoeuvre by someone driving a motor vehicle is going to do damage to a cyclist, whereas the same incident with vehicles of a similar size will just put a dent in a bumper. The stakes are a lot higher for the cyclist so they can be a bit more sensitive to careless or dangerous actions of others.

This is not to say that cycling is dangerous per se, it's not. It's just that if a car lurches across a cyclist's path they can get that "life flashing before your eyes" type moment which can inspire some robust language.

The camera is on the cyclist, so you are going to hear him first. Also, the whole using a 2 tonne+ vehicle as a threatening weapon early in the clip is a bit alarming!

Shenanigans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

check_six wrote: »
    I think this perception is just due to the vulnerability of the cyclist. A careless manoeuvre by someone driving a motor vehicle is going to do damage to a cyclist, whereas the same incident with vehicles of a similar size will just put a dent in a bumper. The stakes are a lot higher for the cyclist so they can be a bit more sensitive to careless or dangerous actions of others.

This is not to say that cycling is dangerous per se, it's not. It's just that if a car lurches across a cyclist's path they can get that "life flashing before your eyes" type moment which can inspire some robust language.

That's fine in relation to motorists. I'm not that worried if cyclist crashes into me while in the car. I am worried, however, if one barrels into me on the footpath while I am a pedestrian. This has happened, and one milled me on a pedestrian crossing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tipparetops

Most cyclists have a very arrogant attitude. They live in fear that cycling might be regulated and so react to any criticism OTT.
    they have to realise that cars own the roads and pedestrians own the footpaths, cyclists should stick to the woods.
    And they should drive their bicycles to these woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

I'm not familiar with the bridge in question and I don't answer for other posters, I'd ask them why they said what they said. By and large regular posters of the cycling forum don't condone illegal behaviour bar in life threatening situations. When a motorist causes a accident don't expect me to defend them just because I happen to drive a car. I don't understand the OP's post. The cyclist in question was an idiot of the highest order. There's nothing more to say other than the normal ranty stuff about cyclists, which could apply to any road user including pedestrians.

If we can have Dutch cycling infrastructure, I'll hand out the tickets to rule-breaking cyclists myself.

Whats wrong with just walking when you're on a footpath ?

Are you able to travel faster or something when your wobbling all over the place trying to balance while you pass by people ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

ardmacha wrote: »
    I am worried, however, if one barrels into me on the footpath while I am a pedestrian. This has happened, and one milled me on a pedestrian crossing.

I wouldn't like to be run over by anyone either. I hope the perps in your two incidents didn't start raging at you for their error.

• Advertisement

check_six wrote: »
    I still can't believe that there is a sign there suggesting cyclists should walk over the East Link Bridge. I'd never spotted it before. Although, on the south side of the bridge it is on the wrong side of the road, think it's the same on the north side too.

It's on the correct side now. I go for a run past it every morning.
    It used to be on the wrong side, but it was moved (not sure when - google maps still has it wrong).

Whilst cycling across the East Link isn't illegal - cycling up the footpath here, and then hopping out onto the road is.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.344568,-6.227693,3a,75y,0.54h,69.79t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sxVzu8O0A1zTihqLGhxkpNQ!2e0

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

No sympathy for any moron that falls off their bike on that bridge. It's karma. I've seen cops on Grafton Street and around St. Stephen's Green pull over cyclists for doing the same thing. Just put a newbie up there every morning to write tickets for any gob****e that cycles across, be a nice little earner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Has anyone defended the cyclist in the OP?

I'm confused as to how this thread is still going.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Shenanigans

I'm not gonna name names on this thread, but I can PM you details if you really want (it might be later though - need to find the therad again!).

I'm not gonna name names on this thread, but I can PM you details if you really want (it might be later though - need to find the therad again!).

Actually apologies, now I've looked back the thread I was thinking of was in the other Cycling forum (i.e. C&T), where posting anything remotely critical of cyclists is even less welcome than the actual Cycling forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

NO ONE IS EVER ALLOWED CRITICISE A CYCLISTS EVER EVER

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

don't cross a cyclist, most of them are members of chain gangs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

So I have just crossed that bridge again and there are clearly signs stating no cycling on both ends, 3 people crossed the bridge on Dublin/coca cola bikes in the time it took me to walk across it. For the record I don't tar all cyclists as idiots as i know not all cyclists are dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

The cyclists dismount signs on the Eastlink bridge are there for a very good reason.

The buildings either side of the Liffey funnel a westerly wind so a mild breeze turns into a hurricane at the bridge. Anyone on a bike would end up blown under the wheels of a 40ft trailer.

cyclists go too fast, they use footpaths, they take up too much room on roads, they do not follow the rules.
    every cyclist is guilty of one of these crimes, but where is the punishment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

That bellend that posts all the videos on Youtube is a member on boards I Believe..

99% of cyclists think a green man is a signal for them to go. They claim only a small minority of cyclists jump reds but you just have to stand at any junction to see that is bollox.

• Advertisement

cyclists go too fast, they use footpaths, they take up too much room on roads, they do not follow the rules.
    every cyclist is guilty of one of these crimes, but where is the punishment.

Lies but I suppose he who is without sin, I have a collection of stones ready to go :p

Lies but I suppose he who is without sin, I have a collection of stones ready to go :p

not surprised, is that what ye have down your lycra.

dubscottie wrote: »
    99% of cyclists think a green man is a signal for them to go. They claim only a small minority of cyclists jump reds but you just have to stand at any junction to see that is bollox.

A large percentage of road users run red lights, most only get stopped by the person in front.

Do cyclists do it, yes, quite a few, not as many as some would claim but if you think these are any different to those who run reds in other vehicles, you are sorely mistaken, they can just filter round others easier but their percentage is not bigger than other road users.

I have had car drivers jump out of their cars to roar abuse at me in car because I stopped at a lights. Several times at the goat in Dublin they have swerved around and overtook through the red light. Daily I see cars mount pavements to make a left turn slightly further up the road.

Driving my daughter to babysitting the other day, as I waited on my filter light, which I got, I got a smile and a finger bang from a bus driver who thought it was hilarious as he coasted through. I had a little van driver scream at me for stopping at lights as he believed I was doing it to annoy him. He subsequently over took me and pulled across the road to try and 'catch' me, ironically stopping all traffic behind him as I overtook and went on.

Long story short, some people equal sh1t, no matter what they use to get around, some of us are courteous enough to follow the rules, some people don't realise they are sh1t. Some do and don't care.

The guy on the bridge was a complete and utter pr1ck, no one has said differently, no one has tried too. A few people have made up some thing about defending cyclists no matter what, sod off, the guy was lucky he only got coffee spilled on him, a lot of people would have battered him. I would have called the Gardai and checked were the others OK, we all have our priorities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

dubscottie wrote: »
    The cyclists dismount signs on the Eastlink bridge are there for a very good reason.

The buildings either side of the Liffey funnel a westerly wind so a mild breeze turns into a hurricane at the bridge. Anyone on a bike would end up blown under the wheels of a 40ft trailer.

This is in no way an exaggeration, as anyone who's ever been foolish enough to drive across it on a mildly windy day with the windows even half open can attest to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

A large percentage of road users run red lights, most only get stopped by the person in front.

Do cyclists do it, yes, quite a few, not as many as some would claim but if you think these are any different to those who run reds in other vehicles, you are sorely mistaken, they can just filter round others easier but their percentage is not bigger than other road users.

But that's precisely what makes them more of a nuisance to pedestrians than other road users who run red lights are.
    If there is a line of stopped cars when you're crossing the road and some idiot on a bike weaves through them and comes flying out on the inside of the other side of the road, there are often mere seconds between you (the pedestrian) seeing them and a potential collision, or having to start running to get out of their way.

In the same way, when a driver sees a crowd of pedestrians, they know they can't just drive in between people in the crowd - it's either mow them all down, or stop. Whereas many cyclists take the "obstacle course" approach and try to weave through gaps in said crowd, making the experience extremely uncomfortable and disorientating for pedestrians in the crowd itself.

That's why cyclists who breaks the rules piss pedestrians off more. They're smaller, more agile, and quieter, which when they become something you're trying to avoid in a crowd is far, far more irritating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Seems to me to be some sort of agenda here..

Lucky we have Timberrrrrrr here with his lightening like reflexes and amazingly similar stories where he's the hero that downs the baddy cyclists and leaves them with injuries and the Gardai never get involved.
    Walked out of a shop on westmorland street today only for a cyclist to crash straight into me, luckily i saw him at the very last second and dropped my left shoulder enabling him to take the brunt of the crash and end up in a heap on the pavement.

He got up and started to berate me for not watching where i was going and tried to tell me that he had the right of way and asked me for my details as he wanted to report me to the guards biggrin.png

The cyclists have seen their batsignal and are swooping in now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I cycle almost exclusively around Dublin city centre. Cyclists breaking reds is ubiquitous.. In fact, seeing a cyclists who isnt sailing through a red light would be a rarity. I just make a point of stopping at all red lights which has earned me abuse from **** on fixies and lycra clad tossers more than once as I impeded their ability to break the red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Lucky we have Timberrrrrrr here with his lightening like reflexes and amazingly similar stories where he's the hero that downs the baddy cyclists and leaves them with injuries and the Gardai never get involved.

Yeah that happened on Westmorland street months ago when i worked that end of the city, sign that there is more than one gob****e on 2 wheels around Dublin is all that proves :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Most cyclists have a very arrogant attitude. They live in fear that cycling might be regulated and so react to any criticism OTT.
    they have to realise that cars own the roads and pedestrians own the footpaths, cyclists should stick to the woods.
    And they should drive their bicycles to these woods.

They should be put in a time machine and sent back to the pre-industrial age, where they belong.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement