Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cycling on a pedestrian bridge

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Yeah that happened on Westmorland street months ago when i worked that end of the city, sign that there is more than one gob****e on 2 wheels around Dublin is all that proves :rolleyes:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=382

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

We are the Cyclists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

porsche959 wrote: »
    They should be put in a time machine and sent back to the pre-industrial age, where they belong.

Bicycles didn't exist before the industrial revolution so you might need to find somewhere else to send cyclists. Once you invent your time machine that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,725 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Right back at ya kiddo right back at ya :rolleyes:

http://touch.boards.ie/forum/576

Your mistake was making yourself out to be the hero, in both stories, second mistake was telling the same story twice.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Your mistake was making yourself out to be the hero, in both stories, second mistake was telling the same story twice.

What was "heroic" about getting hit by a twat on a bike?

Different incidents different places similar outcome.

Look in the palm of your hand

That's how many ****s i give about your little conspiracy theory

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

But that's precisely what makes them more of a nuisance to pedestrians than other road users who run red lights are.
    If there is a line of stopped cars when you're crossing the road and some idiot on a bike weaves through them and comes flying out on the inside of the other side of the road, there are often mere seconds between you (the pedestrian) seeing them and a potential collision, or having to start running to get out of their way.
    But you make it sound like this happens regularly, most who run reds, and I am not defending them wait
    In the same way, when a driver sees a crowd of pedestrians, they know they can't just drive in between people in the crowd - it's either mow them all down, or stop. Whereas many cyclists take the "obstacle course" approach and try to weave through gaps in said crowd, making the experience extremely uncomfortable and disorientating for pedestrians in the crowd itself.
    If you live in Dublin, you know thats BS right, I constantly see cars moving through crossing pedestrians, Leonards corner, Mespil road/Baggot st., Baggot st/waterloo road, the left turn onto OConnell st, the left turn onto the quays, in fact, anywhere there is a left turn.
    That's why cyclists who breaks the rules piss pedestrians off more. They're smaller, more agile, and quieter, which when they become something you're trying to avoid in a crowd is far, far more irritating.
    Of all my years commuting in Dublin, I have seen more peds hit by cars than cyclists, the stats would indicate, there is no one dying on the streets of our capital.

Don't get me wrong, some are d1cks but just stop saying all cyclists are d1cks because it is a fallacy.

I myself am a d1ck but not on the roads, on the roads I have courtesy and follow the rules, not everyone is.

What was "heroic" about getting hit by a twat on a bike?

In both stories you reacted amazingly quick and injured cyclists painting yourself as a hero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I'm going to talk about my journey home yesterday on my bike.

First:
    I was going through a roundabout, actually on it, but a motorist not even on the roundabout appeared to put the foot down and hammer past my back wheel just to try scare me. This could be just my imagination. But the roundabout was well clear as I entered, and he was nowhere near the point of yielding.

Second:
    A car parked on the opposite side of the road, facing the same way as I was travelling decided to do a 3 point turn, didn't look (or look hard enough) and came accross the road straight into my path.
    I stopped sharpish, the driver didn't see me until he had finished his turn and was pulling off, neither had his passanger.

Third:
    A motorist turning left accross my path without looking

Fourth:
    A motorist in a SUV on their phone drifting to the kerb, straightening up and swerving in again. This was slowish moving traffic and I had to make sure to stay behind the car, if I passed, I'd be crushed.

That was all in the space of 45 minutes. I'm a casual cyclist and it's easy to see why there is so much hostility from cyclists on this type of subject.
    But the dude on the bridge was a dick, pure and simple.

The same argument is used in every cyclist thread, it's not even an argument. We all know there's bad drivers in all forms of transport. Imagine a thread about motorists not using their indicators and coming in and saying "well, cyclists drive on footpaths and break red lights, why pick on motorists?".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

CramCycle wrote: »
    If you live in Dublin, you know thats BS right, I constantly see cars moving through crossing pedestrians, Leonards corner, Mespil road/Baggot st., Baggot st/waterloo road, the left turn onto OConnell st, the left turn onto the quays, in fact, anywhere there is a left turn..

As usual whataboutery...

As someone that walks almost everywhere in Dublin, for every 10 cars that jump a red, there is 40 cyclists doing the same.

In most of the cases above I bet there was a red man but people still crossed anyway. I know I have done it.

In both stories you reacted amazingly quick and injured cyclists painting yourself as a hero.

Yes i saw the danger and braced for impact

Again, please explain what's "heroic" about getting hit by a cyclist? I have already stated i cycle too and have never tried to paint cyclists as bad, there are some muppets alright but the majority are safe.

As i said

Conspiracy theories is thataway >>>>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Yes i saw the danger and braced for impact

Again, please explain what's "heroic" about getting hit by a cyclist? I have already stated i cycle too and have never tried to paint cyclists as bad, there are some muppets alright but the majority are safe.

As i said

Conspiracy theories is thataway >>>>

As is the room you two need to get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Cienciano wrote: »
    The same argument is used in every cyclist thread, it's not even an argument. We all know there's bad drivers in all forms of transport. Imagine a thread about motorists not using their indicators and coming in and saying "well, cyclists drive on footpaths and break red lights, why pick on motorists?".
    It's amazing isn't it? Like bloody clockwork

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

dubscottie wrote: »
    As usual whataboutery...

As someone that walks almost everywhere in Dublin, for every 10 cars that jump a red, there is 40 cyclists doing the same.

In most of the cases above I bet there was a red man but people still crossed anyway. I know I have done it.

Whataboutery? A nice word for those who cannot engage in the discussion
    It's amazing isn't it? Like bloody clockwork

All I want the poster to admit it's not all cyclists, making stupid comments that all cyclists do it, my whataboutery being a simple response to the fact that you cannot tar everyone with the same brush, doing so is nothing short of lazy and ignorant.

If they can't do that then there is no point .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭radia

I think this is the more interesting comparison:
    I was walking on a river path about a month ago, it was only wide enough for 2 people to walk past each other.
    A cyclist came flying along, saw me and just kept going. All I could do was brace myself and put my shoulder into him.
    He went flying off the bike into the hedge.

I have seen him once since on that path, he got off the bicycle when we met.
    Walked out of a shop on westmorland street today only for a cyclist to crash straight into me, luckily i saw him at the very last second and dropped my left shoulder enabling him to take the brunt of the crash and end up in a heap on the pavement.

He got up and started to berate me for not watching where i was going and tried to tell me that he had the right of way and asked me for my details as he wanted to report me to the guards :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tipparetops

radia wrote: »
    I think this is the more interesting comparison:

what are you trying to say, spit it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Then take some time and you'll see that no one has defended the idiot the OP mentioned. What you will see happening in the cycling forum is people defending cyclists against generalisations i.e. all cyclists break red lights.

Or in other cases non cyclists telling cyclists the safest way to ride bikes(The reason why most cycling infrastructure ends up a disaster and an absolute waste of money)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

This reads like a fictional story someone wrote after a rude cyclist road past them on the bridge....

just sayin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

PeadarCo wrote: »
    Then take some time and you'll see that no one has defended the idiot the OP mentioned. What you will see happening in the cycling forum is people defending cyclists against generalisations i.e. all cyclists break red lights.

Or in other cases non cyclists telling cyclists the safest way to ride bikes(The reason why most cycling infrastructure ends up a disaster and an absolute waste of money)

And and plenty of Nazi's were nice guys. There isn't wrong with applying generations that are *generally* true. That's why they're called generalizations and not absolute facts.

• Advertisement

UCDVet wrote: »
    And and plenty of Nazi's were nice guys. There isn't wrong with applying generations that are *generally* true. That's why they're called generalizations and not absolute facts.

Surely then we can equally generalize the same stupidity to pedestrians, motorists, motor cyclists, skateboarders and any other mode of transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

psinno wrote: »
    It is pretty rare to see drivers driving on paths. Mostly in films.

My films, certainly. :)

PeadarCo wrote: »

non cyclists telling cyclists the safest way to ride bikes - everyone has used a bicycle but some of us have grown up.
    Non cyclists is not a real term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

cyclists go too fast, they use footpaths, they take up too much room on roads, they do not follow the rules.
    every cyclist is guilty of one of these crimes, but where is the punishment.

I don't go too fast.

I don't use footpaths - to the extent that I push my bike down my garden, across the footpath and road before I mount it.

I don't hog the road. I drive and know the rules of the road and I follow them on my bike.

I stop at red lights. Even some cars don't do this. Pedestrians not obeying their red man and stepping out under my wheel happens often.

So please don't tar all cyclists with the same brush.

sullivlo wrote: »
    I don't go too fast.

I don't use footpaths - to the extent that I push my bike down my garden, across the footpath and road before I mount it.

I don't hog the road. I drive and know the rules of the road and I follow them on my bike.

I stop at red lights. Even some cars don't do this. Pedestrians not obeying their red man and stepping out under my wheel happens often.

So please don't tar all cyclists with the same brush.

you are in the minority so,
    please do not mention pedestrians or car drivers, 2 wrongs do not make a right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

you are in the minority so,
    please do not mention pedestrians or car drivers, 2 wrongs do not make a right.

But if by following the rules, I am right, therefore I can mention other wrongs, no? I'm not saying that ALL pedestrians or ALL drivers are bad. I'm saying SOME. I got knocked off my bike a few weeks ago by a car, who proceeded to drive off. But I'm not saying that ALL drivers are pricks. I got knocked off my bike by an umbrella to the face by a pedestrian during recent rain. But I'm not saying that all pedestrians are idiots.

You are tarring all cyclists with the same brush. Please stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Leave britney alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

Cyclists are a rouge element on our roads that need to be regulated before someone gets killed, will someone please think of the Children.

Even those not wearing any make-up can be quite dangerous too .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭degsie

Is it just me or do most cyclists come across as whinge bags?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

degsie wrote: »
    Is it just me or do most cyclists come across as whinge bags?

They like throwing their toys out of the pram for sure.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Whataboutery? A nice word for those who cannot engage in the discussion

Cyclists seem incapable of engaging in discussion.

The standard response is "what about cars that break red lights", "what about cars driving down pavements", "what about how many people are killed by cars".....

We are not talking about other road users. We are talking about cyclists.

The funny thing is that I bet the same people that don't give a feck about the Road Traffic Act on a cycle are the same ones that don't give a feck about it while behind the wheel of a car.

They like throwing their toys out of the pram for sure.

Or throwing the energy bar wrappers, spit and snot all over the countryside.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

Cyclists are pricks. Drivers are pricks. More often than not, pedestrians are pricks. Nothing to see here. Except a completely disproportionate and unhealthy level of rage!

Drivers are dicks, they're reckless, arrogant, stupid dicks. And the pedestrians are pussies. And the cyclists are assholes. Pussies don't like dicks, because pussies get fucked by dicks. But dicks also fuck assholes: assholes that just want to shit on everything. Pussies may think they can deal with assholes their way. But the only thing that can fuck an asshole is a dick, with some balls. The problem with dicks is: they fuck too much or fuck when it isn't appropriate - and it takes a pussy to show them that. But sometimes, pussies can be so full of shit that they become assholes themselves... because pussies are an inch and half away from ass holes. I don't know much about this crazy, crazy world, but I do know this: If you don't let us fuck these assholes, we're going to have our dicks and pussies all covered in shit!

Dozer Dave wrote: »
    Drivers are dicks, they're reckless, arrogant, stupid dicks. And the pedestrians are pussies. And the cyclists are assholes. Pussies don't like dicks, because pussies get fucked by dicks. But dicks also fuck assholes: assholes that just want to shit on everything. Pussies may think they can deal with assholes their way. But the only thing that can fuck an asshole is a dick, with some balls. The problem with dicks is: they fuck too much or fuck when it isn't appropriate - and it takes a pussy to show them that. But sometimes, pussies can be so full of shit that they become assholes themselves... because pussies are an inch and half away from ass holes. I don't know much about this crazy, crazy world, but I do know this: If you don't let us fuck these assholes, we're going to have our dicks and pussies all covered in shit!

How long did it take you to copy and paste that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Dozer Dave wrote: »
    Drivers are dicks, they're reckless, arrogant, stupid dicks. And the pedestrians are pussies.
    etc.

...What?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Samaris wrote: »
    etc.

...What?

Quote from Snatch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

SteM wrote: »
    I cycle or drive to work depending on the weather. Yesterday afternoon I almost knocked down a pedestrian who just walked out onto the road in Rathmines in front of my bike, didn't give even bother looking they were too busy on their phone. This morning driving into work I almost got hit by another car in Templeogue, the other driver was half asleep pulling out without indicating or anything.

Stuff happens and stupid people aren't confined to bikes.

Yes they are!

Someone on another forum tried to say this was OK as the kid was not killed and if it had been a car on the pavement the little girl would have been killed(!!!!)

Cyclists. Always trying to justify blatant law breaking by blaming others and whataboutery..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

check_six wrote: »
    I think this perception is just due to the vulnerability of the cyclist. A careless manoeuvre by someone driving a motor vehicle is going to do damage to a cyclist, whereas the same incident with vehicles of a similar size will just put a dent in a bumper. The stakes are a lot higher for the cyclist so they can be a bit more sensitive to careless or dangerous actions of others.

This is not to say that cycling is dangerous per se, it's not. It's just that if a car lurches across a cyclist's path they can get that "life flashing before your eyes" type moment which can inspire some robust language.

The camera is on the cyclist, so you are going to hear him first. Also, the whole using a 2 tonne+ vehicle as a threatening weapon early in the clip is a bit alarming!

Why do cyclists go up between the kerb and buses and trucks when they are clearly indicating to turn left? Why do so many cyclists place themselves in danger rather than being patient and waiting for that bus to pull in at the stop they can clearly see ahead and waiting behind the bus or stopping at the stop line instead of balancing on the pedals out so close to the crossing traffic if they fell they would be killed, or how about stopping at red lights or just getting off the bike and walking it instead of hurtling along pedestrian streets?

Do all cyclists lead such boring sad lives they must create and get into dangerous situations and then to blame everyone else and then to whinge about how oppressed they are on YouTube?

One thing about those nasty little cameras(nasty when used by those awful road warrior thugs and bullies) is they are really great for stuff that happens right in front of them but periferally the angles are all skewed so what appears to be a Chelsea tractor bearing down on the cyclist might not be as serious as the camera seems to show. Very often the cameras do lie but mostly it is not intentional but just the odd fisheye type lenses on the gopro cameras.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

All cyclists are saps. This is a fact.

non cyclists telling cyclists the safest way to ride bikes - everyone has used a bicycle but some of us have grown up.
    Non cyclists is not a real term.

You'd be surprised the amount of people who've never learned how to cycle a bike. Maybe non-cyclists is a good term so I'll change it to occasional cyclists. Does't change the point that its regular cyclists to have to use the stupid infrastructure. Or end up not using it and making most cycling infrastructure an absolute waste of money. Surely that's a concern for everyone that councils spend a whole pile of money that is useless.

But strange your post has nothing to do with the OP who was hit by an idiot. Just as well it wasn't a car. The OP would just be a statistic and you wouldn't have your chance to rant. Maybe when you grow up enough so your able to discuss without throwing insults I'll rejoin the discussion with you.

what are you trying to say, spit it out.

I think he's hinting that you're logging on as timpparetops and timberrrrrrr, pretending you're two different people agreeing with each other. Your stories are remarkably similar, you even use the same terms and wording.

UCDVet wrote: »

Why single out cyclists?. Motorists break the law just as often if not more than cyclists and we never see a thread here complaining about how dangerous and reckless all use motorists are despite the fact we as a group kill about 200 odd people every year.

The danger of bikes to other people can be summed up in the fact that a video of a bike hitting some way on the pavement is a big deal(Cyclist completely in the wrong). Its rare enough to be actually newsworthy. Deaths in car accidents, your lucky if hear about it on the radio. Accidents with serious injuring same. Minor injuries forget about it.

Nice to see you've managed to Godwin the thread as well. Think thats a sign for me to leave this thread and let you have your echo chamber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

The problem is the upsurge in lads having a mid life crisis encasing their flabby body in a full length condom and thinking they are on the Tour de France. Most of these guys have no idea of how to cycle safely or properly but think that having a aero dynamic helmet for their fat heads and a hi vis lycra suit makes them kings of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I cycle almost exclusively around Dublin city centre. Cyclists breaking reds is ubiquitous.. In fact, seeing a cyclists who isnt sailing through a red light would be a rarity. I just make a point of stopping at all red lights which has earned me abuse from **** on fixies and lycra clad tossers more than once as I impeded their ability to break the red.

I cycle 13km a day in Dublin and I don't break lights. But then I have about 30kg to lose and the red lights are my rest stops, huff puff :o

I never got abuse from another cyclist. It does annoy me though when I overtake a cyclist and then they stop in front of me at the lights. I overtake them again and the same things happens at every lights!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I know it's illegal but cyclists use these bridges and footpaths but cyclists use these for a number of reasons - namely the complete lack of decent cycling infrastructure. So, you pick up a bike at chq and have a meeting in westland row as an example. You've got to head up the quays, run the gauntlet of busy traffic and cross butt bridge then head back to pick up Pearce St.

Go to other cycling friendly countries and see how cyclists and pedestrians mingle - once it's done responsibly, I don't see what the issue is. But cycle like a d!ck and it'll start upsetting people

It's the same travelling from day merrion square to somewhere like dame St - you've got to follow a very convoluted route that's been designed to curb traffic congestion (no left turns, no right turns and one way streets) rather than facilitating easy and efficient transport by bike - whether you like t it loath it, there's fewer more efficient ways of getting around Dublin City.

In coming to this as a cyclist and a motorist who sees it from both sides - oh and my 8 year old son was hit by a teenager cycling on a footpath yesterday, ripping his lovely jacket his uncle bought him for Christmas :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Can you be more specific? I warched one wher a bus driver overtook him very closely (to the point that he had a right to be pissed off) and one where he recorded.... a swan...
    Is that the fool that was cycling like a lunatic around Dublin thinking that everyone should clear his path?

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I know it's illegal but cyclists use these bridges and footpaths for a number of reasons - namely the complete lack of decent cycling infrastructure. So, you pick up a bike at chq and have a meeting in westland row as an example. You've got to head up the quays, cross butt bridge then head back to pick up Pearce St.

Go to other cycling friendly counteres and see how cyclists and pedestrians mingle - once it's done responsibly, I don't see what the issue is. But cycle like a d!ck and it'll start upsetting people

It's the same travelling from day merrion square to somewhere like dame St - you've got to follow a very convoluted route that's been designed to curb traffic congestion (no left turns, no right turns and one way streets) rather than facilitating easy and efficient transport by bike - whether you like t it loath it, there's fewer more efficient ways of getting around Dublin City.

In coming to this as a cyclist and a motorist who sees it from both sides - oh and my 8 year old son was hit by a teenager cycling on a footpath yesterday, ripping his lovely jacket his uncle bought him for Christmas :(

Or you could walk with the bike across the pedestrian bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I know it's illegal but cyclists use these bridges and footpaths for a number of reasons - namely the complete lack of decent cycling infrastructure. So, you pick up a bike at chq and have a meeting in westland row as an example. You've got to head up the quays, cross butt bridge then head back to pick up Pearce St.

Go to other cycling friendly counteres and see how cyclists and pedestrians mingle - once it's done responsibly, I don't see what the issue is. But cycle like a d!ck and it'll start upsetting people

I do both (Cycle and Drive)

You don't cycle on the footpath even if there is no Cycle lane, its the equivalent of having an N road with a load of hidden entrances on it. Not everyone is traveling in the same direction and people can be stepping out of doorways, dogs, kids can be in your blind spot. I've seen someones dog get their tail stuck in a bicycle chain for that very reason.

Your not fully in control of slow moving bicycle either, your basically balancing yourself on a piece of metal while rolling forwards.

BTW there are many roads here in Holland even where there are no Bicycle lanes, you wouldn't be on the footpath long and someone would lose the plot.

Just stay off the footpath man, if you can't handle cycling on the road then leave the bike at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The is a cycle lane on the south side of that foot bridge and it's often full of pedestrians despite a whole promenade available to them.

Same for the specially designed cycle crossing on the south side of Butt Bridge.

Yeah the whole thread is full of whataboutery examples.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement