Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cycling on a pedestrian bridge

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Ah the ol' cyclist escape route argument! :D"But look at the motorists boo hoo hoo" :rolleyes:

Not Quite
    Pinch Flat wrote: »
    But yeah cycling on it is a d!ckish thing to do, particularly if you hit someone.
    and
    ..... some on 2 wheels, some on 4 plus. Some are pedestrians.....
    This thread is about cyclists ........ not motorists or farmers or dentists ........ cyclists.

I would suggest a clearly visible registration number on the Hi-Vis jacket the cyclist should be wearing anyway .......... issued after they successfully complete a Theory Test at the very least.

All very novel. So do you regularly report other registered road users you see breaking the law? What's the outcome? Do you get a follow up call from the Gardai asking you if you wish to press charges - assuming you regularly report their credentials through Traffic Watch. How do you deal with pedestrians that step out in front of you when driving? Or will they be registered as well?

it's just that many people call for registration of cyclists as some sort of panacea that will sort all of these problems out, but yet empirically registration has zero impact on behaviour on the road - if the other cohort using them are anything to go by anyway. It is enforcement that gets these results and changes people's behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Not Quite and

All very novel. So do you regularly report other registered road users you see breaking the law? What's the outcome? Do you get a follow up call from the Gardai asking you if you wish to press charges - assuming you regularly report their credentials through Traffic Watch. How do you deal with pedestrians that step out in front of you when driving? Or will they be registered as well?

it's just that many people call for registration of cyclists as some sort of panacea that will sort all of these problems out, but yet empirically registration has zero impact on behaviour on the road - if the other cohort using them are anything to go by anyway. It is enforcement that gets these results and changes people's behaviour.

Why would any cyclist have a problem being officially registered making it easier to be identified on the road by Guards, cctv etc. if said cyclist is obeying the Rules of the Road? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭RecordStraight

Four-year-olds aren't hurtling through the city centre in rush hour traffic weaving in and out between vehicles and mounting the path when the road becomes inconvenient.
    So who decides which cyclists do the test? Who decides who gets the hi-vis vests with their numbers on them? Do kids never cycle in urban areas?

Who pays for all this administration?

Why would any cyclist have a problem being officially registered making it easier to be identified on the road by Guards, cctv etc. if said cyclist is obeying the Rules of the Road? :confused:

I am a registered motorist and have had not as much as parking ticket in my driving career (which commenced in 1987 with my first provisional licence).

In theory, I have no issue with being identified as a cyclist either - I carry voluntary insurance that covers me and 3d parties.

Have you run the maths on how much this would cost? where do you draw the line? Should my 8 year old son be included? Almost all countries that have tried to implement this system have withdrawn if for these reasons. How would Ireland succeed?

So who decides which cyclists do the test? Who decides who gets the hi-vis vests with their numbers on them? Do kids never cycle in urban areas?

Who pays for all this administration?

Cyclists who have decided they would like to cycle on main roads would be legally obliged to do the Test ......... just like those motorists.

Cyclists who successfully pass the Test are entitled to apply for a Registered Hi-Vis jacket ...... just like those motorists who apply for their license after successfully completing the Test.

They do.

Fines.

I am a registered motorist and have had not as much as parking ticket in my driving career (which commenced in 1987 with my first provisional licence).

In theory, I have no issue with being identified as a cyclist either - I carry voluntary insurance that covers me and 3d parties.

Have you run the maths on how much this would cost? where do you draw the line? Should my 8 year old son be included? Almost all countries that have tried to implement this system have withdrawn if for these reasons. How would Ireland succeed?

You, as a registered license holding motorist, would be exempt from taking the Test ........ you would simply have to present your valid driving license to be issued with your Registered Hi-Vis jacket.

There would be no age limit on who can apply to do the Test, anybody who wishes to use the main roads unaccompanied by a Registered adult cyclist may apply to do the Test ........... presumably your 8 year old son would not fall into this category?

Fines would pay the Admin costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Any evidence to back up your claim that 50% of accidents/near misses involving cyclists are as a result of "the stupid actions of pedestrians and motorists"? :rolleyes:

Rolleyes instead of providing any evidence to back up your assertion that if it wasn't for the noble actions of motorists there would be more cyclist injuries. Just about sums it up

I was doing nothing more than suggesting a balance

Cyclists who have decided they would like to cycle on main roads would be legally obliged to do the Test ......... just like those motorists.
    What constitutes a main road?
    Cyclists who successfully pass the Test are entitled to apply for a Registered Hi-Vis jacket ...... just like those motorists who apply for their license after successfully completing the Test..
    So a 7-year-old who cycles to school would have to do a theory test, and procure and wear a hi-vis vest?
    Fines.
    How will fines pay for it? :confused:

1. You can't tell us how much it will cost.
    2. You can't tell us how much fines will raise.

You could just as easily say you will scrap motor tax and pay for our road infrastructure with fines.

You, as a registered license holding motorist, would be exempt from taking the Test ........ you would simply have to present your valid driving license to be issued with your Registered Hi-Vis jacket.

There would be no age limit on who can apply to do the Test, anybody who wishes to use the main roads unaccompanied by a Registered adult cyclist may apply to do the Test ........... presumably your 8 year old son would not fall into this category?

Fines would pay the Admin costs.

Do you genuinely think that this will ever happen?

• Advertisement

So a 7-year-old who cycles to school would have to do a theory test, and procure and wear a hi-vis vest?

You could just as easily say you will scrap motor tax and pay for our road infrastructure with fines.

He hasn't thought this through

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

FFS - FPNS are on the way, there is a system for regulating cyclists at the minute, while the numbers prosecuted are small, relatively speaking they are not that bad in Dublin. FPNs will make it easier again for Gardai, it should bring enforcement on par with cars.

What this has to do with the muppet on the bridge is beyond me.

Every cyclist who has posted has agreed that the cyclist was a muppet. Timberland was reasonably restrained in his response. Cyclists should never cycle on it.

Also, I now know the latest SB offers free refill on filter coffee, I dislike Starbucks so this is of no value to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tipparetops

another thread hijacked by cyclists forum,
    back to the opening post, what this thread is about,
    cyclists have absolutely no right to be on the footpaths, its the law, follow it.

If you need me to explain to you what a main road is then you should never be allowed use one! :D

7-year-old's are not the problem and well you know it ......... anyway I wouldn't personally allow my 7-year-old to go to school unaccompanied, call me a responsible old-fashioned parent if you like! :rolleyes:

The amount of the fine payable will be in relation to the offence ........ obviously.

Do you genuinely think that this will ever happen?

Do you genuinely think the current situation should remain unchanged?

cyclists have absolutely no right to be on the footpaths, its the law, follow it.

It's about a pedestrian bridge. Now be careful here or you'll get banned here as well :pac:

• Advertisement

He hasn't thought this through

That's the difference between me and you ........... at least I've thought about it :p

It's about a pedestrian bridge. Now be careful here or you'll get banned here as well :pac:

Depends on the MODS, if they are your buddies I will be.
    :):pac::D

Had the Op had a way of identifying that idiot cyclist on the bridge (a Registered Hi-Vis jacket for example) then he could have reported him to the Gardai ........ in fact if the idiot cyclist had been easily identifiable then he might have reconsidered using the bridge at all!

Had the Op had a way of identifying that idiot cyclist on the bridge (a Registered Hi-Vis jacket for example) then he could have reported him to the Gardai ........ in fact if the idiot cyclist had been easily identifiable then he might have reconsidered using the bridge at all!

totally agree, i pointed out some home truths about cyclists on another thread and got banned.
    That is what the cycling forum do, they enter threads like this, bait you and than their MOD buddy comes in and bans you.
    Just watch.

Point of information: I don't post on the cyclists' forum, largely because I haven't been on a bike for nearly a decade.

• Advertisement

Ok so let's say you wake up in the morning and your dream comes through - everyone on a bike has these number plate hi vis thingies on - are you going to have traffic watch on speed dial? Cos you'll be a busy man - there's very little enforcement out there presently, so I'm assuming your plan accommodates the additional police / traffic corp personnel?

totally agree, i pointed out some home truths about cyclists on another thread and got banned.
    That is what the cycling forum do, they enter threads like this, bait you and than their MOD buddy comes in and bans you.
    Just watch.

Are you wearing a tin foil hat by any chance?

Ok so let's say you wake up in the morning and your dream comes through - everyone on a bike has these number plate hi vis thingies on - are you going to have traffic watch on speed dial? Cos you'll be a busy man - there's very little enforcement out there presently, so I'm assuming your plan accommodates the additional police / traffic corp personnel?

a busy man - so you admit cyclists break the law constantly.
    Thank you very much

If you need me to explain to you what a main road is then you should never be allowed use one! :D
    What is the definition of a 'main' road? The way you dodge these questions, people would think you didn't have answers... ;)
    7-year-old's are not the problem and well you know it ......... anyway I wouldn't personally allow my 7-year-old to go to school unaccompanied, call me a responsible old-fashioned parent if you like! :rolleyes:
    Old-fashioned parents like mine happily let kids walk and cycle to school. It's the modern hyper-protective parent who clogs up the road every morning on the school run.

But that aside, are you now proposing that the test and licensing have a minimum age? Or people below that age are not allowed to cycle?
    The amount of the fine payable will be in relation to the offence ........ obviously.
    And you don't know how much will be raised. Obviously.
    And you don't know how much your crazy scheme will cost. Obviously.

Are you wearing a tin foil hat by any chance?

no, only wear that when I cycle. BOOM BOOM

a busy man - so you admit cyclists break the law constantly.
    Thank you very much

Oh they do very much so. I have baolufelt no agenda to defend cyclists who break the law. They should be prosecuted like other road users who do similarly. I didn't get your point.

Ok ......... present situation ........... Garda car sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic waiting for the lights to change 8-10 cars ahead of them when a cyclists weaves past them straight through the red lights ........ Guard 1 turns to Guard 2 and says "Did you seeing that fecking idiot?!?", Guard 2 replies "Yeah ........ what can you do!?!".

Same situation except cyclists are forced to wear Registered Hi-Vis jackets ......... Guard 1 says "Did you see that fecking idiot?!?", Guard 2 replies "Yeah ....... did you get his Reg?", Guard 1 "No ......... but the Dash Cam did! :)"

Oh they do very much so. I have baolufelt no agenda to defend cyclists who break the law. They should be prosecuted like other road users who do similarly. I didn't get your point.

not what you were saying on a certain thread.
    :):D:pac:

Ok ......... present situation ........... Garda car sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic waiting for the lights to change 8-10 cars ahead of them when a cyclists weaves past them straight through the red lights ........ Guard 1 turns to Guard 2 and says "Did you seeing that fecking idiot?!?", Guard 2 replies "Yeah ........ what can you do!?!".

Same situation except cyclists are forced to wear Registered Hi-Vis jackets ......... Guard 1 says "Did you see that fecking idiot?!?", Guard 2 replies "Yeah ....... did you get his Reg?", Guard 1 "No ......... but the Dash Cam did! :)"
    More obvious solution: Gardaí on bikes.

What is the definition of a 'main' road? The way you dodge these questions, people would think you didn't have answers... ;)

Old-fashioned parents like mine happily let kids walk and cycle to school. It's the modern hyper-protective parent who clogs up the road every morning on the school run.

But that aside, are you now proposing that the test and licensing have a minimum age? Or people below that age are not allowed to cycle?

And you don't know how much will be raised. Obviously.
    And you don't know how much your crazy scheme will cost. Obviously.

And your ideas to solve the problems are ........ ????

Or are you too lazy to even come up with a single idea to help solve the current situation ........ oh wait, let me guess, there is no problem! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

That would help too, why not ........ now you're actually thinking, well done! :)

Or are you too lazy to even come up with a single idea to help solve the current situation ........ oh wait, let me guess, there is no problem! :rolleyes:
    Look one post up.

Edit: make that two... lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭316

Cycling while eating doughnuts and playing the 3DS is dangerous.

316 wrote: »
    Cycling while eating doughnuts and playing the 3DS is dangerous.
    I see the beginnings of a case for licensing the consumption of doughnuts.

not what you were saying on a certain thread.
    :):D:pac:

Oh you might be referring to the scenario where I let my 8 year old son cycle on the path where no cycle lane exists. When we've developed attitudes on the roads that allow my 8 year old to cycle safely on the roads, I'll happily let him on the road.

The Dutch were where we are at about now 40 years ago and it took generations to develop safe attitudes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01lw88k

For balance, you might post some of your own posts where you constantly attempted to derail the thread which lead to you being prevented from posting.

Oh you might be referring to the scenario where I let my 8 year old son cycle on the path where no cycle lane exists. When we've developed attitudes on the roads that allow my 8 year old to cycle safely on the roads, I'll happily let him in the road.

The Dutch were where we are at about now 40 years ago and it took generations to develop safe attitudes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01lw88k

For balance, you might post some of your own posts where you constantly attempted to derail the thread whic lead to you being prevented from posting.

I am not going to raise to the bait, it is not working this time.
    Nice to see you admit your mistakes, now learn from them.

I am not going to raise to the bait, it is not working this time.
    Nice to see you admit your mistakes, now learn from them.
    I'm pretty sure it's legal for children to cycle on footpaths. Certainly in the UK and on the continent it is.

Edit: nope, I'm wrong. It's illegal in Ireland. But legal in more civilised countries.

I'm pretty sure it's legal for children to cycle on footpaths. Certainly in the UK and on the continent it is.

This is Ireland, not the UK or continental Europe. I could not care less about these places.

As for children legally or illegally cycling on footpaths, they'll stop when they come to me.

Edit: nope, I'm wrong. It's illegal in Ireland. But legal in more civilised countries.

As it is here too. I've passed Gardai many a time with my 8 year old on the footpath. He can't be prosecuted for cycling on the path. What's the guard going to do - suggest he cycles on a busy narrow road?

• Advertisement

As for children legally or illegally cycling on footpaths, they'll stop when they come to me.
    So you hate cyclists so much, you would commit an assault against a young child doing something that may be legal?

I think you need to check yourself.

Other cities have wrestled with this. And scrapped the whole licensing/testing idea as being unworkable. The links to Toronto cycle licencing have been posted earlier in this thread.

The legislation is there. Get Garda on bikes. Handing out FPNs. It just needs to be enforced. A few Garda on bikes in hotspots would soon stop the pavement cycling, which no cyclists on this thread have defended

Licencing will never happen and would be a monumental waste of money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Some will. Others won't.

So you hate cyclists so much, you would commit an assault against a young child doing something that may be legal?

I think you need to check yourself.

where did you get the assaulting a young child from, outrageous stuff.

I really think the people here with an irrational and disproportionate hatred if cyclists need to relax a little. This level of stress doesn't seem like it would be healthy. You are all winding yourselves up into a frenzy!

where did you get the assaulting a young child from, outrageous stuff.
    How are you going to stop them without touching them? You're going to stop a 7-year-old kid cycling to school by grabbing her bike, or her, or by blocking her way?

What a man.

• Advertisement

I really think the people here with an irrational and disproportionate hatred if cyclists need to relax a little. This level of stress doesn't seem like it would be healthy. You are all winding yourselves up into a frenzy!

if you do not want to read it, click onto another thread.
    this is not the cycling forum.

How are you going to stop them without touching them? You're going to stop a 7-year-old kid cycling to school by grabbing her bike, or her, or by blocking her way?

What a man.

more outrageous stuff, where is the mods when you actually need them.

more outrageous stuff, where is the mods when you actually need them.
    Outrageous stuff??

YOU SAID IT!

I love it. Laying claim to the roads and to cyber space. Maybe if we cyclists pay a registration and wear a hi vis we'll be allowed post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

This is the tipparetops thread though, right?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement