Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions - somewhere to move to where we could start a tourist related business

Options
  • 05-06-2015 9:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hello

I'm a new poster, and not sure if this is in the right thread, but can see that you are all a vocal lot, so will imagine that I should get some responses.

I'm Irish, living in the UK, and planning on moving back to Ireland this summer. We have a place to stay short term, rent free (family), but I'm really keen to keep that as short as possible.

We will then be buying and really see the country as a blank canvas. We have family near Dublin, and I've friends scattered all around, but we don't want to be swayed too much by that.

We are thinking of doing something in the tourist trade (possibly bespoke b and b, or holiday lets eventually).

Does anyone have any ideas of where would be a great place to move to... outside of Dublin.

So we are a family with 2 children under 7

We don't want to live in Dublin
    We don't want to live in a housing estate
    We do want to live somewhere vibrant, with arts and crafts and music axwnw
    Nearish the sea would be a bonus
    Somewhere open to 'outsiders'

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Tourist areas near the sea probably looking at the west coast from West Cork to Donegal "Wild Atlantic Way". Scull, Dingle, Kilkee, Galway, Westport, Sligo, Bundoran, probably all expensive to buy in those towns through.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

MrsD123 wrote: »
    Hello

I'm a new poster, and not sure if this is in the right thread, but can see that you are all a vocal lot, so will imagine that I should get some responses.

I'm Irish, living in the UK, and planning on moving back to Ireland this summer. We have a place to stay short term, rent free (family), but I'm really keen to keep that as short as possible.

We will then be buying and really see the country as a blank canvas. We have family near Dublin, and I've friends scattered all around, but we don't want to be swayed too much by that.

We are thinking of doing something in the tourist trade (possibly bespoke b and b, or holiday lets eventually).

Does anyone have any ideas of where would be a great place to move to... outside of Dublin.

Many thanks

Galway would tick most of those boxes, there's rarely a week without some sort of festival in the summer. Kinvarra and Ballyvaughan are smallish towns within an hours drive of the city and are by the sea. Some good value still to be had there too.

Hello

Many thanks

This is probably worthy of its own thread but I'd agree with the above. Wild Atlantic Way is brilliant and tourist authorities are really pushing it. But, yes, relatively expensive. Still way cheaper than Dublin though. For a B&B, even a small one, you'll need plenty of spare en suite rooms, ideally separate from where your family sleeps. You don't want to have the kids sharing during peak season.

Dare I say that your work plan doesn't sound particularly well fleshed out yet?! I mean, it's great if don't need to earn for a while but many a couple has hoovered up lots of cash in London in their 20s and come back with vague notions of opening a chic cafe or bijou restaurant or bespoke gallery only to find it more challenging than expected.

I don't want to sound negative, it is certainly doable and the lifestyle could be brilliant. Just be sure you won't be disappointed that your busiest times are during school holidays and festivals.

Sorry for being a killjoy :) Very best of luck with it. Research the beejaysus out of this though before taking any giant leaps. [This is what you're already doing here, obviously!]

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

MrsD123 - I've moved your query into its own thread, where it won't get lost in the 2015 property discussion.

Personally- from the brief description you've given- I'd be inclined to say that the Galway area best meets your requirements.

Prices are probably going to be a little startling..........

If you give us a little more information we may be able to narrow our ideas down a little for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MrsD123

Thank you! I totally hear you Ixelles. We've fleshed things out as best we can from here. It just is too hard to put real meat on the plan until we decide on a location. My husband is an ex teacher, and has a dream of turning his passion of designing and making into a reality. Ideally we would like to combine that into the pot.

Does anyone have any uptodate info/knowledge on Wexford area? I haven't been in 20+ years... and wondered how did it fare through the recession?

Much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Kalman

Hello

Many thanks

'Good Luck to you in your quest for Utopia!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MrsD123

We can but dream :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

How busy are B&B's in Salthill outside of Race Week? I grew up in the area and, frankly, Salthill has been dying a slow death as a place for tourists for decades.

The Bearna or Oranmore areas would be my suggestions in Galway but both have become expensive over the last ten years

Prices seem more than a little aspirational. I find it difficult to believe that these are reasonable prices........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Property is cheap to buy in donegal, so there would be parts of the Wild Atlantic Way that would be affordable.

Plus as others have said, it's really being pushed by the authorities and can only get more popular.

Prices seem more than a little aspirational. I find it difficult to believe that these are reasonable prices........

Have you seen the prices of Salthill lately? Very ordinary 4 bed semi-d's that haven't been updated since the 80's are going for 400K.

Not that I think it's good value but those are huge detached houses in good condition for comparison.

Have you seen the prices of Salthill lately? Very ordinary 4 bed semi-d's that haven't been updated since the 80's are going for 400K.

Not that I think it's good value but those are huge detached houses in good condition for comparison.

Just looking at propertypriceregister.ie there.
    Prices seem to be all over the shop......
    There are some high (ridiculously high) prices- but there are also some abnormally low ones......
    Salthill seems to be both highly desireable- and some people also are selling at any cost- at the same time. It doesn't make sense.......

Just looking at propertypriceregister.ie there.
    Prices seem to be all over the shop......
    There are some high (ridiculously high) prices- but there are also some abnormally low ones......
    Salthill seems to be both highly desireable- and some people also are selling at any cost- at the same time. It doesn't make sense.......

I personally don't know of anything undersold in that area, people seem to jump on them (don't see the appeal myself), so maybe some were sold between friends/family.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

For all year round, yes Galway is good.

If I had the money though, I would go to Westport/Achill area which is more seasonal for sure, but a stunning location. On the Greenway and Wild Atlantic Way too. God it's gorgeous.

Buying a lotto ticket soon for this.

Sorry, I haven't added anything much to your question, just did a bit of dreaming there. I'm sure I will be forgiven....

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Waterboy2014

Hi,
    Thinking about your question, I think Waterford/Wexford area meets your needs... It's by the sea, the mountains, and also close to several big urban areas and the price of property is a bargain. With Waterford/Wexford inclusion into Bord Failte's new tourism drive: Irelands Ancient East, Waterford 's push to be included in the Wild Atlantic Way, and several greenways under construction (Deise Greenway) and in the planning phase (New Ross to Waterford City), I really believe this area is going to be a big tourist draw in the next few months and years. There isn't already a flooded market of B&Bs, especially in the Waterford area and I think if you offered something special it could do really well.

Good luck with it!

OP- in all honesty- I'd steer clear of Waterford/Wexford.
    We did a quick poll of all our cousins coming over this year (UK, US and Canada)- a significant number of them had never heard of Waterford or Wexford- other than in the context of Waterford Crystal- and almost universally they wanted to stay in Galway or Dublin- with access to various tours (those mentioned included 'Hill of Tara, Newgrange, Book of Kells, National Library, Galway festivals, Achill, The Burren, Cliffs of Moher, A real live Gaeltacht, Good Seafood, Clonakilty, The English Market, Belfast and the cost road, Carrick-a-reed, Portrush, City of Derry, Yeats tours to include a waterfall (?), Europes only coral beach.........

Property may be cheap in the South East of Ireland- and indeed- the weather may be better- but few people know of it- and it is *not* where tourists want to go.........

The 'Wild Atlantic Way' has featured extensively on the Irish Channel in the States- as has the tourist trail they're planning from Galway to Sligo along the old western corridor railway. These are things that don't even need to be sold to tourists- the harder Bord Fáilte needs to try to sell an area- normally the less the interests of tourists there is in visiting. Unless there are compelling reasons for visiting or staying in an area- such as there is for Galway over and above any other city in Ireland- there is precious little reason for trying to run a tourist business. Galway- is popular year round. Almost no-where else in Ireland is.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 thewhitetable

OP- in all honesty- I'd steer clear of Waterford/Wexford.
    We did a quick poll of all our cousins coming over this year (UK, US and Canada)- a significant number of them had never heard of Waterford or Wexford- other than in the context of Waterford Crystal- and almost universally they wanted to stay in Galway or Dublin- with access to various tours (those mentioned included 'Hill of Tara, Newgrange, Book of Kells, National Library, Galway festivals, Achill, The Burren, Cliffs of Moher, A real live Gaeltacht, Good Seafood, Clonakilty, The English Market, Belfast and the cost road, Carrick-a-reed, Portrush, City of Derry, Yeats tours to include a waterfall (?), Europes only coral beach.........

Property may be cheap in the South East of Ireland- and indeed- the weather may be better- but few people know of it- and it is *not* where tourists want to go.........

The 'Wild Atlantic Way' has featured extensively on the Irish Channel in the States- as has the tourist trail they're planning from Galway to Sligo along the old western corridor railway. These are things that don't even need to be sold to tourists- the harder Bord Fáilte needs to try to sell an area- normally the less the interests of tourists there is in visiting. Unless there are compelling reasons for visiting or staying in an area- such as there is for Galway over and above any other city in Ireland- there is precious little reason for trying to run a tourist business. Galway- is popular year round. Almost no-where else in Ireland is.

I live in Waterford so probably biased but....there are lots of different types of tourists. Some would want to stay as far away from the usually touristy things as possible! Walking, cycling, surfing are just some of the other reasons people come on holidays here. What kind of accomodation will your cousins be staying in and what is there budget? Galway is lovely and west cork is pretty amazing as well but I love Waterford! Dungarvan being my favourite, cycle ways, beaches, mountains, great restaurant's, friendly people and its definatly on the up. There is a new craft trail launching soon.

You need to descide what your market is. Do you want to do hostel type accomodation, something a bit quirky, traditional b & b, holiday lets. Do you want to attract families, singles, couples, hens and stags, back packers, people that want something different, walkers????

There is definatly an opening in Waterford for something a bit unique, there is no hostel/quirky budget accomodation around. The enterprise board are a great help, I would talk to them where ever you go. You need to move somewhere you like and has a business opportunity. I suggest to do a mini tour of ireland and chat to the locals. Remember this time of year touist places are very busy but the place might be empty during the winter.

Best of luck in your new venture!

I suggest to do a mini tour of ireland and chat to the locals. Remember this time of year touist places are very busy but the place might be empty during the winter.

Best of luck in your new venture!

Big time.
    Just because somewhere is reasonably busy now- has zero bearing on it having a solitary soul interested in it from September onwards........
    You need to decide the nature of the tourist business you want to run. Perhaps having the winter off would suit you? A few hectic months- with a nice clear break for the winter- where you could spend some time in Spain/Portugal and relax away from it all?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, the Entrepreneurship and Business Management forum is an excellent place to sound out your business ideas.

The posters there will speak plainly if they think that your ideas are woolly or don't stack up.

But they will help you understand what it will take to make your tourism-related business viable, and that will give you a better idea of the features the region you are looking for needs to offer. Plenty of tourists in an area does not guarantee success, if they are not the right type of tourist or if your offering doesn't fit in well with the existing tourist services.

• Advertisement
Advertisement