Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Kayak

Options
  • 05-06-2015 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Considering buying a kayak. Would be for recreational use - probably at most a couple of hours out on the (live pretty near the coast). Am currently looking at a ride-on tandem 2 seater (think its the Paradise Tandem), which also allows for solo use by moving seat to middle - this would allow me to take out better half or one of the kids.

Anyway, I would like to know if there is much a difference in comfort between a sit-in and a ride-on?

What about manoeuvrability?

How well does a tandem work for 1 person?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

Sit in would take more skill and practice to master. Sit in would also be more manoeuvrable and faster.

Sit ons don't fill with water but can be very easily toppled by waves. They are much heavier and unless you are very strong you will need two to load etc.

I have both types. The sit on was picked up for summer time with the kids. I have a fair bit of experience on white water on sit in and found the sit on hard enough to handle in choppy seas and to be honest potentially dangerous in that type of water. Sit on top is very heavy and if you were thrown off it and it launched it would cause a nasty injury if it hit you on the head or the point hit you in the ribs.

I think the sit on tops are fine for lakes or very calm seas. But they are a dog of a thing to paddle and turn very slowly. Sit ins are much more comfortable imo.

Would it be possible to demo before you buy - all white water kayak shops have demo boats and it's important to try before you buy no matter what anyone else thinks your physique is unique to you..

I'm sure you will but definitely buy buoyancy aids and helmets... And take it on a lake about 10 times before you go to sea... Read up about rip tides.... I was pulled out in one while swimming 2 years ago and having read up on them made such a difference in how I handled it...... Consider also buying a water proof cover and taking your phone with you when on the water.... It might also be worth getting in contact with your local sea kayaking club to do a beginners course.... I know I'm getting a bit serious here but I'm speaking from experience and when all the safety stuff is in order you will really enjoy your time on the water

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

Thanks DK. I've done a bit of sea kayaking before but only in a sit-in, so curious about sit-on. From what you're saying they don't seem to be a wise option, especially if main use will be by myself.

Regarding safety, agree it always comes first on water and though a good swimmer wouldn't consider going out without buoyancy aid.

Cheers.

Advertisement