Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2015 LC Geography - Both levels - 5th June***

• 05-06-2015 11:22am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭

For post-exam discussion.

Previous thread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

That was a pretty difficult paper. Biome was a disaster, so specific. Short questions also really hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Help1997

The biome q was lovely so happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

What a strange paper- I did grand (I think) but the questions but were so...odd. Not like any paper I've seen before I don't think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭nickys

daughter said short questions were nice enough.
    But that in every question one part of it was really horrible

About 4/12 short questions required the use of the ordnance survey or aerial photo which really slowed me down. Just glad it's over now.

• Advertisement

How many marks for the short questions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

nickys wrote: »
    daughter said short questions were nice enough.
    But that in every question one part of it was really horrible

Yep the 2 "most difficult" and "least favourite" parts came up on the physical geography- isostacy and folding...I knew I should have revised them this morning :o
    The other question (which I did) was one on tectonic plate effects on Ireland despite the fact that there is none really bar (extinct) volcanoes and a fold mountains :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 puca13

What biome question was on paper??

puca13 wrote: »
    What biome question was on paper??

my daughter mentioned adaptations of plants and animals ( if that makes sense)

nickys wrote: »
    my daughter mentioned adaptations of plants and animals ( if that makes sense)

Yes it does, thanx a mil!!!!

• Advertisement

puca13 wrote: »
    Yes it does, thanx a mil!!!!

To specific climatic and soil conditions, however. That meant 1/2 my answer I had was invalid.

To specific climatic and soil conditions, however. That meant 1/2 my answer I had was invalid.

Oh no, so if it was hot desert biome, how wud plants and animals have adapted to both ( specific to hot desert climate and aridisols)

I did the rainforest biome, I don't know how animals have adapted to it's climate. But I'll probably get 30/80 which is more than I get in the mocks...

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭irishlad12345

Messed up the isosity question went on about caves despite isosity having nothing to do with caves so there's 30 marks out the window did ok at the other questions do yee rekon a c2 is still possible after that mess up :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2 aideenodonovan

For the biome question, I devoted half of my question to the climate and soils of the biome with a few linking phrases to the question, and then the other half to the adaption of the flora and fauna to it, was that right?? Really would like an A in geography!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Pacman96

Biome question was a beauty 80/80 but I spent way too much time on it :/ 43 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Jm12334567

I wrote two pages on my biome for adaptions but I basically re wrote a characteristics question rather than adaptions talked about a few plants adaptions and barely mentioned animals will I get any marks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Leitrim96

How do you talk about a specific soil? I just said latosol and made stuff up on every animal about how they have adapted with such and such due to lack of nutrients available in the soil??

Is this way off topic. How lenient will they be. Also the urban growth question confused me. Found myself staying the effects of congestion and sprawl

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kat97

Thought it was over all okay. Some of the short q's were weird.

Culture and identity question was really open which I liked! Could talk about religion and language!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Marcus134

By specific climate conditions I felt that was really vague? I just mentioned plant leavse adapted to the heavy convectional rainfall and how they adapted to get more sunlight? I don't see how i could be more specific than that right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tables

What a dream paper. All the A questions were very easy. I had the biome for breakfast and the short questions, while taking me a long time (20 minutes as opposed to 10 for every other year) went down a treat as well. I also expected regional geography to be rather tough but the open ended nature of the questions was brilliant. I was also lucky for human geography as i happened to study pretty much every 1 of the 6 essays that came up and had almost too much choice. Also the physical was lovely, apart from that little hiccup of a question on Ireland's landscape and tectonic action. Found myself talking about stuff in a very general sense as opposed to the focused type of questions they want. But I think that was the nature of the question, it didn't really warrant specifics, unless anyone wants to tell me otherwise. Hopefully my second A1 in the bag and bring on Biology!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

I thought I did well, I didn't know anything about formation of sedimentary rockS, only limestone so I just mentioned other sedimentary rocks and said they formed the same way.... global interdependence questions were way too.. specific? Wrote 5 pages on Aid but I also brought in fair trade even though there was a seperate question on fair trade, oh well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

That paper was a delight
    Loved the short questions, my 80 marker I managed only 5 pages :/ and the sketch maps and graphs were a treat
    Loved it. Just loved it

Anyone know the answers to the short questions by any chance? theyre the only part that kept me from an A1 in the mocks so I hope this time around was better, what on earth is a sill and a dyke!?

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kat97

Kremin wrote: »
    Anyone know the answers to the short questions by any chance? theyre the only part that kept me from an A1 in the mocks so I hope this time around was better, what on earth is a sill and a dyke!?

Theyre plutons I think!

Sills are horizontal and dykes are vertical !

Kat97 wrote: »
    Theyre plutons I think!

Sills are horizontal and dykes are vertical !

I got it right then :O.
    My logic was window sill is horizontal, so thats gotta be that right... right,,,

Completely guessed the weather and the drainage question too haha, maybe I guess too much.

tMq2Xxn.png was part ii) a trick question?
    I put down Russian and Non-EU countries first, but then i read the question and it said regions/countries so I wasn't sure.. why do they have to make this stuff so confusing, it really doesn't test your knowledge by confusing students.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

Um that wasn't question 5 lol.. There was no pie chart

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭joe14

Kremin wrote: »
    tMq2Xxn.png was part ii) a trick question?
    I put down Russian and Non-EU countries first, but then i read the question and it said regions/countries so I wasn't sure.. why do they have to make this stuff so confusing, it really doesn't test your knowledge by confusing students.

was that on the ordinary level Paper?

• Advertisement

Um that wasn't question 5 lol.. There was no pie chart
    joe14 wrote: »
    was that on the ordinary level Paper?

http://www.examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2015/LC005ALP000EV.pdf yes it was, Q5 regional, higher level.. everyone in my year did it and we're all higher level soo?

Advertisement