Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2015 LC Geography - Both levels - 5th June***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

that question was on it dont worry, It most definately was question 5
    i) france and uk
    ii) russia and italy/asia

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

RoRo979 wrote: »
    that question was on it dont worry, It most definately was question 5
    i) france and uk
    ii) russia and italy/asia

Are you sure it was Asia though? (Italy is in the EU, question is non-eu) the light purple said other non-eu countries and the question said which were the two smallest countries/regions... so I put other non-eu countries and russia..

ah **** it ill only lose 2 marks at most right?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

Kremin wrote: »
    Are you sure it was Asia though? (Italy is in the EU, question is non-eu) the light purple said other non-eu countries and the question said which were the two smallest countries/regions... so I put other non-eu countries and russia..

ah **** it ill only lose 2 marks at most right?

non-eu isnt a region/country however. If i said where is non-eu the answer of anywhere not in eu doesnt make sense. Italy is a country and Asia is a region hence country/region.

I could be wrong that was my take on it anyway

RoRo979 wrote: »
    non-eu isnt a region/country however. If i said where is non-eu the answer of anywhere not in eu doesnt make sense. Italy is a country and Asia is a region hence country/region.

I could be wrong that was my take on it anyway

Oh **** the question didn't even say non-eu, I thought it did... I dunno though, the question does say countrieS/regions, so I took that as they meant both of the 2% regions. Oh well, at least that question was actually on the paper, had a mini heart attack when the two above said it wasnt -_--

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kelly8249

Have to say a little disappointed.. Think I got a B1/2, but have been aiming for an A1 all year!!

Geo ecology was great.. 20 m were nice.. But the question in the Human Elective and Regional section got me.. SO little of what I had studied (which was a hell of a lot) came up and I had to do the awful question where the part C was on rural - urban migration, which is fantastic but the part B was on transport/routes and the development of a town using the OS map - horrendous.

I think I messed up the Climate question in regional as well, I used the Mezzogiorno, I didn't have a full thing on climate and the 'challenges' it poses for any regions I have studied so I was definitely writing some rubbish!

Didn't like the shorts q's at all at all. :(

• Advertisement

kelly8249 wrote: »
    Have to say a little disappointed.. Think I got a B1/2, but have been aiming for an A1 all year!!

Geo ecology was great.. 20 m were nice.. But the question in the Human Elective and Regional section got me.. SO little of what I had studied (which was a hell of a lot) came up and I had to do the awful question where the part C was on rural - urban migration, which is fantastic but the part B was on transport/routes and the development of a town using the OS map - horrendous.

I think I messed up the Climate question in regional as well, I used the Mezzogiorno, I didn't have a full thing on climate and the 'challenges' it poses for any regions I have studied so I was definitely writing some rubbish!

Didn't like the shorts q's at all at all. :(
    I was really sad a direct urban region question didnt come up, regional may have been my weakest section.

For Paris I think I was really worried I didnt have enough info but I think I got everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭joe14

http://www.examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2015/LC005ALP000EV.pdf yes it was, Q5 regional, higher level.. everyone in my year did it and we're all higher level soo?

Oh,I did Q4,thought it was a very easy paper to be honest...

I was really sad a direct urban region question didnt come up, regional may have been my weakest section.

For Paris I think I was really worried I didnt have enough info but I think I got everything.

Did you do the Q w/ Primary India and Influence of Climate and the Challenges for a region?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

http://www.examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2015/LC005ALP000EV.pdf yes it was, Q5 regional, higher level.. everyone in my year did it and we're all higher level soo?

Most people in our year did question 4. I thought it was a fairly handy question. Everything went really well apart from the isostacy. I decided to leave it out of my study. Ended up having to waffle on about knickpoints and anything else I could think of. Hoping for an A1 but wouldn't mind a high B either.

Map Skills
    Draw an outline map of a European region (not in Ireland) that you have studied. On it, show and name each of the following:
    • A named feature of relief
    • A named urban centre
    • A named road or rail link
    • A named river.

when I answered this question I did it on the answer booklet, Not on graph paper should I be deducted marks :(

• Advertisement

I felt the 'Describe and explain any challenges a region you have studied faces as a result of its climate' question was bit strange.. I could go on about climate all day for the Mezzogiorno, but can could only talk a little about CHALLENGES because of it..

And I couldn't use India and the monsoon climate because that's what I did for the previous Q!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

joe14 wrote: »
    Map Skills
    Draw an outline map of a European region (not in Ireland) that you have studied. On it, show and name each of the following:
    • A named feature of relief
    • A named urban centre
    • A named road or rail link
    • A named river.

when I answered this question I did it on the answer booklet, Not on graph paper should I be deducted marks :(

You'll only lose 2, don't worry about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 DT1

The physical section was extremely difficult for everyone in my group. I'd say I got 12/80 on it. Did Q3. You can't right 1 and a half pages on drilling rocks (geo energy) maybe if it was the benefits such as tourism you can right up to 2 pages. The short questions were fine tbh. Don't know why people said they're hard. Had you practiced all the SQ's from all years it would of been grand but I'll admit some of them were quite difficult and some I've never seen before. Did Q6. The climate question was difficult alright. Also did Q11, which was okay but harder than normal.

Overall it was certainly a much harder than average exam. They only fair thing that happened was colonialism. I would of screamed in the exam hall if didn't show up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

Interesting to see alot of people in my position
    I've been getting A1's consistently but I found the paper hard...

Being honest I thought the short questions were very difficult. I definitely lost alot of marks there!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 KA97

If I hadn't of signed up to boards a couple of weeks ago then I wouldn't have done as well as I did in geography, thanks everyone that has been helping on the predictions forum :) !

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭irishlad12345

I iust realised that everyone in my centre will lose marks on graphs because no graph paperr was given out : o when I seen nobody asking for it I just assumed that you did them in the answer book how come the examiners didn't hand it out or remind us it was available :(

• Registered Users Posts: 27 DT1

I iust realised that everyone in my centre will lose marks on graphs because no graph paperr was given out : o when I seen nobody asking for it I just assumed that you did them in the answer book how come the examiners didn't hand it out or remind us it was available :(

wow really? The supervisor (not examiner!!) is suppose to remind everyone of it before the exam. If this was my supervisor I'd report her/him as soon as possible. That is totally unacceptable and in my opinion she/he shouldn't have this trustworthy position in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Tzashi

hey anyone know what a geo was in the short questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 KA97

I thought that you only needed graph paper if you were sketching an os map, I thought if it was a aerial photograph then you do it on normal paper, don't ask why :/ that's 2 marks lost for a stupid mistake already

Sorry constantly make that mistake about supervisor and examiners :P I'm not going to report them because it is only two marks per question I did 3 graphs so I lost 6 marks but it just pissed me of because that could be the difference between a grade :( plus I don't want the stress of having to report them if you know what I mean :P suprised nobody else in my centre said anything :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The question didn't ask for graph paper - why would you lose marks?

spurious wrote: »
    The question didn't ask for graph paper - why would you lose marks?

really,thats grand :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There are questions where they specify graph paper is to be used, but they didn't in that one.

spurious wrote: »
    There are questions where they specify graph paper is to be used, but they didn't in that one.

Thats grand so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 JohnDunne

Worked very hard for the two years for A1, but that regional section was pretty crap. We didn't cover isostasy or fold / fault features in any detail in class. Also felt the 80m global ints were very strange.

Wait, I did the sketch map of the OS map and aerial photo but I did it in the booklet? It never said do it on graph paper?

Examine the 1:50 000 Ordnance Survey map and legend accompanying this paper.
    Draw a sketch map of the area shown to half scale.
    On it, correctly show and label each of the following:

Examine the aerial photograph accompanying this paper.
    Draw a sketch map of the aerial photograph, half the length and half the breadth.
    • A car park
    • The triangular street network in the middleground of the aerial photograph
    • A large commercial/industrial building in the foreground of the aerial photograph
    • An area of waste ground suitable for development.

No mention of graph paper so will I lose marks?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 rugbyfan132

Did anyone do the option question on migration patterns, human rights issues, and economic and political refugees? Was it be correct to talk about impacts of desertification, global warming and deforestation for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tables

With regards to the graph paper issue; you are supposed to be an adult, aware of the examination situation. Graph paper is provided if you ask for it, you should know that.
    Also, if ever you use a pencil it has to be on graph paper, that's a general rule of thumb, the question won't tell you.
    I'm not so sure it will definitely cost you marks though, I know they help with accuracy but they definitely haven't ever been mentioned on marking schemes.

Tables wrote: »
    With regards to the graph paper issue; you are supposed to be an adult, aware of the examination situation. Graph paper is provided if you ask for it, you should know that.
    Also, if ever you use a pencil it has to be on graph paper, that's a general rule of thumb, the question won't tell you.
    I'm not so sure it will definitely cost you marks though, I know they help with accuracy but they definitely haven't ever been mentioned on marking schemes.

Question 1
    A. Ordnance Survey Map
    Examine the 1:50000 Ordnance Survey map and legend that accompany this paper.
    ¾ The complete course of the Colligan River
    ¾ Locate a gorge on the Colligan River and mark it with an X on the sketch map
    ¾ The Cunnigar sand spit
    ¾ An area of land above 300 metres.
    [20m]
    ¾ If sketch is traced or only a section of the map is drawn, lose 4 marks for
    sketch outline and lose 3 marks for showing per item. Allow naming marks
    only.
    ¾ The sketch must have four sides drawn.

from last years marking scheme, unless they're feeling pretty evil I doubt they'll mark anyone down for not using graph paper, they never said to use it so..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tables

Question 1
    A. Ordnance Survey Map
    Examine the 1:50000 Ordnance Survey map and legend that accompany this paper.
    ¾ The complete course of the Colligan River
    ¾ Locate a gorge on the Colligan River and mark it with an X on the sketch map
    ¾ The Cunnigar sand spit
    ¾ An area of land above 300 metres.
    [20m]
    ¾ If sketch is traced or only a section of the map is drawn, lose 4 marks for
    sketch outline and lose 3 marks for showing per item. Allow naming marks
    only.
    ¾ The sketch must have four sides drawn.

from last years marking scheme, unless they're feeling pretty evil I doubt they'll mark anyone down for not using graph paper, they never said to use it so..

The only reason I can think of as to why they would take off marks is reduced accuracy, so the scale of your (plural) sketches might be off.

Advertisement