Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2015 LC Geography - Both levels - 5th June***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Leitrim96

Lads is 2 pages enough for the biome? I feel like every sentence I used was pretty strong and little to no waffling. Just a bit concerned over the length. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

Tables wrote: »
    The only reason I can think of as to why they would take off marks is reduced accuracy, so the scale of your (plural) sketches might be off.

I drew guidelines i.e divided it into 4 equal segments in each direction, and did the same for the map, so its pretty damn accurate... thats how we were told to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tables

Kremin wrote: »
    I drew guidelines i.e divided it into 4 equal segments in each direction, and did the same for the map, so its pretty damn accurate... thats how we were told to do it.

Well 4 sections isn't as accurate as the hundreds that are on the graph sheets but I can't see an corrector being stingy, taking off marks if you. I think you will do fine.

Leitrim96 wrote: »
    Lads is 2 pages enough for the biome? I feel like every sentence I used was pretty strong and little to no waffling. Just a bit concerned over the length. Thanks

Not trying to make you worry or anything but it certainly sounds light. Mine was 4.5 pages, of very high standard stuff from beyond the realms of textbooks, and that should just about get the 80. I don't know if 2 pages will be able get the 80. Like some 30 mark essays can reach 2 pages, albeit most are supposed to stay within 1-1.5 pages. But if you compare like that 2 pages is definitely a bit light, but don't worry about anything like that until the results, what do I know, seriously?

Not trying to make you worry or anything but it certainly sounds light. Mine was 4.5 pages, of very high standard stuff from beyond the realms of textbooks, and that should just about get the 80. I don't know if 2 pages will be able get the 80. Like some 30 mark essays can reach 2 pages, albeit most are supposed to stay within 1-1.5 pages. But if you compare like that 2 pages is definitely a bit light, but don't worry about anything like that until the results, what do I know, seriously?

The options topic is marked differently though, as long as you have 3 well defined aspects with 8-10 srps and show an EXCELLENT understanding of the topic- you're looking at almost full marks.

20 Marks OC
    60 marks for SRPS (6 go to stating your aspects)
    this leaves space for 9 srps per aspect. A page an a half should contain more than 9 srps.. I could fit 10 on one page....

Quality > Quantity

• Advertisement

The options topic is marked differently though, as long as you have 3 well defined aspects with 8-10 srps and show an EXCELLENT understanding of the topic- you're looking at almost full marks.

20 Marks OC
    this leaves space for 9 srps per aspect. A page an a half should contain more than 9 srps.. I could fit 10 on one page....

Quality > Quantity

This is really going over my head but to say I'm now bricking it is an understatement. We have an incredible geography teacher and his plant/animal adaptations notes would only cover approx two pages when spread out. That said looking back it was 2 and a quarter pages if that's any consolation

20 Marks OC

Quality > Quantity

4m for identifying the aspect, 3 aspects 12 marks leaving 48 marks to be gotten by srps, that's 16 SRPs required for each aspect. Then the 20 for OC. That's how it is marked. To get them 20 marks they want you to talk about more than 1 region for the biome so for tropical rainforest you would talk about the Amazon, Congo and South Asia. That's something no one does which brings it down to the 17 marks straight away. No hope is hell anyone is getting 16 SRPs for each aspect if they do 2 pages. 48 srps should be around 4 pages.
    This is really going over my head but to say I'm now bricking it is an understatement. We have an incredible geography teacher and his plant/animal adaptations notes would only cover approx two pages when spread out. That said looking back it was 2 and a quarter pages if that's any consolation

Did you talk about climate and soils in a general sense before going into plants and animals adaptations for each one?

I'm sure you'll be fine, what grade you looking for anyway? if you performed well across the board and got a good reasearch study in, I'd say you're still in the chance for an A1 or A2

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭irishlad12345

anybody do culture and identity question :P

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Pacman96

I also wrote 4 and a half ,
    L

• Advertisement

4m for identifying the aspect, 3 aspects 12 marks leaving 48 marks to be gotten by srps, that's 16 SRPs required for each aspect. Then the 20 for OC. That's how it is marked. To get them 20 marks they want you to talk about more than 1 region for the biome so for tropical rainforest you would talk about the Amazon, Congo and South Asia. That's something no one does which brings it down to the 17 marks straight away. No hope is hell anyone is getting 16 SRPs for each aspect if they do 2 pages. 48 srps should be around 4 pages.

You're forgetting an SRP is 2marks, so it's 8 srps per aspect ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Liamo290

For the culture and identity question I just wrote about language instead of language and religion does that mean I will only get 40/80?

if anyone could attempt to give my biome question a grade I'd appreciate it so much.

I opened with about 5 solid lines on the specific climate in the tropical rainforest, about rainfall etc. my first paragraph was about 17 lines on the plant adaptation to climate e.g. Drip tips/thin barks/layers of vegetation/larger leaves.
    Next paragraph about another 17 lines talked about the latosol soil and how trees have buttressed roots and long roots to try get nutrients.
    I then described the plant adaptations to the climate of the rainforest about how they've had to become "aboreal" and all that good stuff. Didn't really relate to climate in truth but I got another maybe 15 lines in of good stuff like giant leaf frog and how all animals camouflage.
    The animal adaptation to soil included me kind of making up that because there are no nutrients in the latosol soil they have to use sharp claws to get insects and the cheetah has to be dotted and quick, points like that.

My aim was to get 10 points on each I.e. Plant/animal adaptation to 1.soil and 2.climate.
    I only wrote two pages and maybe 5 lines so I think that was a bad idea.

Any help and I would love you forever.
    Thanks guys

if anyone could attempt to give my biome question a grade I'd appreciate it so much.

I opened with about 5 solid lines on the specific climate in the tropical rainforest, about rainfall etc. my first paragraph was about 17 lines on the plant adaptation to climate e.g. Drip tips/thin barks/layers of vegetation/larger leaves.
    Next paragraph about another 17 lines talked about the latosol soil and how trees have buttressed roots and long roots to try get nutrients.
    I then described the plant adaptations to the climate of the rainforest about how they've had to become "aboreal" and all that good stuff. Didn't really relate to climate in truth but I got another maybe 15 lines in of good stuff like giant leaf frog and how all animals camouflage.
    The animal adaptation to soil included me kind of making up that because there are no nutrients in the latosol soil they have to use sharp claws to get insects and the cheetah has to be dotted and quick, points like that.

My aim was to get 10 points on each I.e. Plant/animal adaptation to 1.soil and 2.climate.
    I only wrote two pages and maybe 5 lines so I think that was a bad idea.

Any help and I would love you forever.
    Thanks guys

Dude it's impossible to know due to so many variables like who your examiner is, marking scheme etc

Dude it's impossible to know due to so many variables like who your examiner is, marking scheme etc

Totally understand, tell me we are at least looking above 45. Then I can sleep easy

Totally understand, tell me we are at least looking above 45. Then I can sleep easy

Couldn't tell you honestly, I did Interdependence

Definitely over 45. The marks are geared towards being easily available at the start of paragraphs and then being harder to get as you go on. I.e aspects identified are 4 marks, then defining it will be another 2. So you get more than half the marks every if your answer is only half the length it should be.

Definitely over 45. The marks are geared towards being easily available at the start of paragraphs and then being harder to get as you go on. I.e aspects identified are 4 marks, then defining it will be another 2. So you get more than half the marks every if your answer is only half the length it should be.

Sound out that's made me feel so much better

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭tornados2111

Definitely a rough paper. Lost a lot in short questions as much as I thought they were going to be easy.
    I've been getting Bs all year but I think I more than likely got a C

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭spl99

Short questions were...odd to say the least.
    Long questions were grand but it was more my own fault than anything. Refused to do the Geo ecology question in the Pres and did the global interdependence question which for some reason we don't do at school. Got 76/80 in it in the Pres so aimed straight for it the other day. I know that doesn't mean I'll do fantastically or anything but sure beats learning about soils!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 me1289

why would you talk up your own essay? someone was looking for help and you're just going on about how great your own essay was.

any1 else not have a clue what a geo was in the short questions honestly never heard of it before :P thankfully got through process of elimination

any1 else not have a clue what a geo was in the short questions honestly never heard of it before :P thankfully got through process of elimination

geo_till.JPG I believe it was this one on the map right?

I used process of elimination too.

i hope so because thats the one i picked haha the whole paper was very odd and isotasy really cost me in the physical :(

i hope so because thats the one i picked haha the whole paper was very odd and isotasy really cost me in the physical :(

Why? Hadn't studied it well enough? I thought Isostacy was probably the best question for me on the paper, 3 pages with diagrams and remembered everything I had learnt about it.

The sedimentary question was rough, it wanted examples of sedimentary rocks and I had no idea how anything other than limestone formed so i made it up!

Why? Hadn't studied it well enough? I thought Isostacy was probably the best question for me on the paper, 3 pages with diagrams and remembered everything I had learnt about it.

The sedimentary question was rough, it wanted examples of sedimentary rocks and I had no idea how anything other than limestone formed so i made it up!

Are diagrams essential for isostacy?

Are diagrams essential for isostacy?

Adjustment identified 2 marks
    Example 2 marks
    Explanation 13 x SRPs
     Credit 2nd named adjustment for 1 x SRP
     All further adjustments require explanation
     Credit 2nd named example for 1 x SRP
     Credit relevant labelled diagram for 1 x SRP
     Credit extra relevant information on labelled diagram for 2 x SRPs
     Diagram without labelling 0 marks.

I don't think it is necessary, but it can only help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

I was the complete opposite. I had to bullshıt my way through the isostacy question. Pretty sure I made up a term or two. I only half learned it unfortunately. The sedimentary question was brilliant for me. I'd definitely expect full marks in it. The isostacy messed up the physical section for me though. I thought it would be my best section but it ended up being my worst I'd say.

i talked about caves and the irish landscape despite isotasy having nothing to do with caves :( still hoping for a C

• Advertisement

me1289 wrote: »
    why would you talk up your own essay? someone was looking for help and you're just going on about how great your own essay was.

I wasn't "talking up" my essay, I was using it as a comparison. He said his content was to a high standard, i said mine was too. He said his answer was just over 2 pages, I said mine was 4.5 and that I expect my answer to be getting the 80 marks. As I haven't read his answer to tell him how many marks he got he could use what I told him to try and gauge how he did.

Advertisement