Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary Schools D7/Stoneybatter

Options
  • 05-06-2015 11:22am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone have any info on what the primary schools are like in D7/Stoneybatter? Considering the area for family with young kids.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Rew wrote: »
    Anyone have any info on what the primary schools are like in D7/Stoneybatter? Considering the area for family with young kids.

We live in the area. The main option is the Educate together in grangegorman which is supposed to be good but my wife isn't a fan of the ethos so our daughter will be going to school in city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I think you could look at schools along the Navan road or Cabra as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

There is St Gabriels National School - just off Oxmantown road http://stgabrielsns.ie/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Red Hare wrote: »
    There is St Gabriels National School - just off Oxmantown road http://stgabrielsns.ie/

Yeah saw that but Im interested in personal experience of schools in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭coolperson05

You have

Stanhope Street Primary School (mixed until 2nd class - I've taught here and it's a nice school, just got a brand new building)
    Brunswick St. Boys
    Dublin 7 Educate Together (as mentioned above - I've taught here and it's a lovely school)
    Saint Gabriels NS
    Central Model School (nearer town).

Then if you move out to Dublin 9 (Glasnevin/Drumcondra) your options are endless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Where abouts?
    You could make the argument for a few schools around the Dublin 1 area if you're not too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭cgcsb

sweetie wrote: »
    We live in the area. The main option is the Educate together in grangegorman which is supposed to be good but my wife isn't a fan of the ethos so our daughter will be going to school in city centre.

Just out of curiosity. What's wrong with the ethos in an educate together school??:eek:

Rew wrote: »
    Yeah saw that but I'm interested in personal experience of schools in the area.

I went to Stanhope Street until second class and then to Brunswick Street. At that time, early 1990's, nuns were still very much in control(don't know how it is now) and they were especially cruel to the children. Although there wasn't physical abuse, they would bully the children emotionally. I remember one young girl who was forbidden from going to the loo until she wet herself and then she was verbally humiliated by the nuns afterwards on front of the other children.

Brunswick street was a different kettle of fish, entirely secular in practice, except for the ridiculous amount of time spent on communion and confirmation prep. Academically it is quite a good school, although there are a number of undesirables enrolled into every class. I'd say you could comfortably send a boy here so long as you tell him who to avoid.

Gabriels in Oxmantown, was notoriously a school full of knacks, again this was some time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

cgcsb wrote: »
    I went to Stanhope Street until second class and then to Brunswick Street. At that time, early 1990's, nuns were still very much in control(don't know how it is now) and they were especially cruel to the children. Although there wasn't physical abuse, they would bully the children emotionally. I remember one young girl who was forbidden from going to the loo until she wet herself and then she was verbally humiliated by the nuns afterwards on front of the other children.

Brunswick street was a different kettle of fish, entirely secular in practice, except for the ridiculous amount of time spent on communion and confirmation prep. Academically it is quite a good school, although there are a number of undesirables enrolled into every class. I'd say you could comfortably send a boy here so long as you tell him who to avoid.

Gabriels in Oxmantown, was notoriously a school full of knacks, again this was some time ago.

I'd echo a lot of this. Gabriels would have am awful lot of kids in it from O'Devaney Gardens. Some of whom would be problematic.

Brunswick St (Brunner) is a good school. It would have boys from O'Devaney as well but would have quite a mix of pupils really with good discipline and good standards.

Not sure of local girls schools but as far as I know, there would't be many (any?) nuns in Stanhope St these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

O'Devaney Gardens has been cleared out as far as i know and is practically empty of people - boarded up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

Red Hare wrote: »
    O'Devaney Gardens has been cleared out as far as i know and is practically empty of people - boarded up.

I drove through it recently and it looked like something that was left behind after a war, but I think there are at least some people still living there.

sitstill wrote: »
    I'd echo a lot of this. Gabriels would have am awful lot of kids in it from O'Devaney Gardens. Some of whom would be problematic.

Brunswick St (Brunner) is a good school. It would have boys from O'Devaney as well but would have quite a mix of pupils really with good discipline and good standards.

Not sure of local girls schools but as far as I know, there would't be many (any?) nuns in Stanhope St these days.

I think O'Deavany is pretty much gone now, I'd say the majority of children in the area are now the offspring of hipsters living in oxmantown, so I'd expect the make up of the schools to reflect that.

Advertisement