Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air B&B - what do you think is the main reason for people joining?

Options
  • 05-06-2015 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭

I have been looking through their website recently, as I was checking out accommodation for Dublin in July.

I got to wondering why people would join AirB&B and make their home available to strangers?

Maybe its just me, but I like having my house to myself and my family, the idea of bringing strangers in doesn't compute at all.

So do people join it for:
    1) To earn money cos they need it?
    2) Like to meet new people
    3) Like helping others out
    4) Combat loneliness
    5) other reason.

I'm assuming its the first, but I wonder what percentage are doing it to earn some extra pocket money and how many might be really struggling financially and really need to do it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Money, pure and simple. Especially since the advice until recently was that it was available for the rent a room scheme and was tax free.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I take it you have to declare and pay up to Revenue?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

NIMAN wrote: »
    I take it you have to declare and pay up to Revenue?

Yes
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/airbnb-landlords-warned-over-tax-liability-31130972.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Money pure and simple.

The host doesn't have to stay with the guest when they use their facilities so the social/loneliness aspect you mention is a rather moot point unless someone is really doing it for that reason.

Personally, if I was going on holidays somewhere and utilised Airbnb, I'd rather a vacant property and certainly would not like to share it with a resident who is seeking company due to loneliness.

My mother used to run a B&B during the summer months years ago and I personally didn't see it as an invasion of privacy (as kids, we enjoyed the novelty of all these "exciting" visitors from far off places like Longford:P or Australia. I'm sure it was more of a compromise for my parents but as my mother said, it paid for our school uniforms and school books come September!

I think the modern version is a great idea to generate cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I agree I think its a great idea. Would be tempted myself to use it, although I would be more inclined to want the whole property with no host around, rather than to have to share facilities with them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement