Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League of Ireland in Europe 2015, mod note in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

That was lovely from BATE.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Just take a bleeding touch would ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Looks like Dundalk are running out of energy. They can still go through, you'd imagine the adrenaline would keep them lit.

Long ball after long ball mopped up by the Borisov centre backs. Poor stuff.

F*ckin hell Stephen (or George). That's a sub, not the added time.

• Advertisement

Ah George ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

That was hilarious and will no doubt be in every clip compilation on Irish soccer programmes from here on out. :pac:

"SEVEN minutes?!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Better team went through. Fair play to BATE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Deserved for BATE on another night they could have won 2 or 3 nil realistically Dundalk only had 1 decent chance. Still performed better over the tie than most people thought they would

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Pity for Dundalk but BATE were a good bit better tonight. Lack of a replacement for MacMillan showed a bit tonight.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately nothing admirable in that for Dundalk. Working hard is easy. Having the conviction to try and play would have been gallant. Poor performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

TNS just comceded, they'll be dancing in the streets of Videoton now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Dundalk are a gear ahead of any team in LOI, BATE were 2 gears better then Dundalk.

Doee show how far behind we are from having any chance of getting team to Group Stages.

corny wrote: »
    Unfortunately nothing admirable in that for Dundalk. Working hard is easy. Having the conviction to try and play would have been gallant. Poor performance.

They did try and play. Bate Borisov got stuck into them and stopped them playing. Bate Borisov are on a different level to them, they've been in the CL Group stages for a few years.

Not good that Dundalk are going out of Europe completely tonight , 'cos they could've got to the EL Group Stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

TheCitizen wrote: »
    They did try and play. Bate Borisov got stuck into them and stopped them playing. Bate Borisov are on a different level to them, they've been in the CL Group stages for a few years.

Not good that Dundalk are going out of Europe completely tonight , 'cos they could've got to the EL Group Stages.

I wouldn't agree with that, they pumped the ball forward time after time. They barely had a midfield they were pushing so many players forward for the long ball which they never won.
    Really disappointed after watching how well they played in the first leg. Didn't deserve to go through, BATE had the best chances tonight. Dundalk really needed to lay their passing game, what's sad is lots of people will be watching them on tv tonight for the first time and think this is how they play every week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

As much as people like to say Dundalk have some quality I don't think one can assume they couldve qualified for the Group Stages of Europa League, still some quality teams out there, the nil all imo flattered Dundalk tonight.

Nothing to do with Borisov. You should go out and control what you can control. You could accept lads trying to play and getting crowded or muscled out of it by a superior team but that just didn't happen. Instead the Borisov centre backs literally controlled the entire game.

Anyway, hopefully thats a learning experience for Dundalk. If a little pressure causes them to totally lose composure inferior teams to Borisov will account for them every year in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Oh well.

See most posters here for next year's Irish champions league adventure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

kksaints wrote: »
    Pity for Dundalk but BATE were a good bit better tonight. Lack of a replacement for MacMillan showed a bit tonight.

Need to take your chances against teams like that when you have them on the hop somewhat like the first leg. Just shows how hard it is for Irish clubs in CL.

Nothing to do with Borisov. You should go out and control what you can control. You could accept lads trying to play and getting crowded or muscled out of it by a superior team but that just didn't happen. Instead the Borisov centre backs literally controlled the entire game..

Nah think you're slightly wrong there.
    It was a bit of both. Bate Borisov got stuck in and pressed high on them.
    Anyway, hopefully thats a learning experience for Dundalk. If a little pressure causes them to totally lose composure inferior teams to Borisov will account for them every year in Europe.

Dundalk appeared to run out of steam, as well, when the tie was still there for the winning. They might learn from the experience, they looked like they needed experience. Bate Borisov had plenty of that in their locker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Nothing to do with Borisov. You should go out and control what you can control. You could accept lads trying to play and getting crowded or muscled out of it by a superior team but that just didn't happen. Instead the Borisov centre backs literally controlled the entire game.

Sure why don't all teams in the LOI do it and they'll fall down the table? :rolleyes: Ridiculous comment, BATE are one of the very best teams you can face in the qualifiers. They stepped it up a gear tonight to a level that you could see why they've made the group stages so often in the past few years.

The people bashing Dundalk just don't get how good BATE are. They've made over €40m from Europe the past few years. Built a $50m stadium. Beaten the likes of Bayern, Bilbao & Everton and have a team full of international players.

Dundalk fans probably don't want to hear it right now, but losing 2-1 away and getting a 0-0 at home are terrific results against a side like BATE.

Oat23 wrote: »
    The people bashing Dundalk just don't get how good BATE are. They've made over €40m from Europe the past few years. Built a $50m stadium. Beaten the likes of Bayern, Bilbao & Everton and have a team full of international players.

Dundalk fans probably don't want to hear it right now, but losing 2-1 away and getting a 0-0 at home are terrific results against a side like BATE.

There's a middle ground. Stephen Kenny articulated it fairly well post match.

I hope they stay together and come back again next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Ah that was disappointing. Was delighted to have got to have time at 0-0 as they carved us open two or three times. We generally play better in the second half so I was anticipating a spell where we had them penned back and hopefully create a couple of clear cut chances. Never happened though. They closed us down so quickly and we resorted to pumping long balls up to McMillan which didn't really trouble them. Second half was surprisingly flat.

Horgan was subdued. Meenan on the other side didn't really get going. Midfield not great apart from Stevie who was excellent. One clear cut chance the whole match says it all really. Fair play to BATE. Not as good as I thought they were going to be but definitely the better team over the two legs. No 22 was impressive. Bit of a downer after the build up all week. Still great experience for the team and they did themselves proud (especially last week).Back to the league now and hopefully we can give this Champions League competition another rattle next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

I have to say I am a little disappointed with Kenny for the 2nd half. Dundalk went away from what they were about, and when they really had to create chances instead they hoofed it. Bate's centre backs were much stronger in the air and dealt with anything thrown at them. They were better off going out at least trying that they're good at. I know Bate were a good side, but Dundalk needed a goal and with the way they attacked in the 2nd half they wouldn't have scored if the game was still in now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Dundalk were incredibly unlucky to draw BATE. They probably were the toughest team in this round of the qualifiers especially given they were also well into their season. Look at Crusaders' opponents yesterday (who were also seeded). I'd wager Dundalk would have easily beaten them over 2 legs (albeit resulting in a much tougher 3rd round opponent).

Hoping we can remain the only LOI to be unbeaten at home in Europe tomorrow.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    I have to say I am a little disappointed with Kenny for the 2nd half. Dundalk went away from what they were about, and when they really had to create chances instead they hoofed it. Bate's centre backs were much stronger in the air and dealt with anything thrown at them. They were better off going out at least trying that they're good at. I know Bate were a good side, but Dundalk needed a goal and with the way they attacked in the 2nd half they wouldn't have scored if the game was still in now.
    They went away from their passing game not by choice. BATE's pressing forced us too go long. They didn't give us a minute on the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Pighead wrote: »
    They went away from their passing game not by choice. BATE's pressing forced us too go long. They didn't give us a minute on the ball.

I understand that, but to not have created one chance all half was disappointing.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    I understand that, but to not have created one chance all half was disappointing.
    No argument from me there. Was very disappointing. I can't actually remember the last time we didn't score. Ah well, big game against Cork on Sunday. Victory there will cheer me up a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

anncoates wrote: »
    Oh well.

See most posters here for next year's Irish champions league adventure.

You could take the negative in that, but I'd prefer to take the positive. There is interest to be tapped into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    You could take the negative in that, but I'd prefer to take the positive. There is interest to be tapped into.

Yeah fair enough, but it's been going on so long now that I don't know if it actually ends up working that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

We got Dundalk-ed and Kenny-ed by BATE last night.Everything closed down quickly through BATES speed & guile and no or fuq all chances created for us.Wings demolished,mid-field bar SOD ate alive.We are a fast learning side though and we'll be back on the ball for more of this European Champions league stuff next season.;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

anncoates wrote: »
    Need to take your chances against teams like that when you have them on the hop somewhat like the first leg. Just shows how hard it is for Irish clubs in CL.

This is the huge step ahead for LOI, difference between serious qualification and getting through some rounds taking advantage of seeding or fitness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

jays Lloyd, fellas have been posting in the likes of this thread since Shels beat Split and drew with Coruna, but they've not, in the decade plus since then, ever been "tapped into".

Euro games are "events", and "shure tis great to see the Irish sides in Europe".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Watched the Dundalk match last night - first time since last seasons final matches that I watched a LOI side.

As usual the football is of a decent standard and entertaining. The problem with soccer in Ireland is not whats on the pitch its the infrastructure off it.

Oriel Park looked like some sort of third world hill side "stadium" on the side of a mountain in the Himalayas.

Until the public have decent facilities to go to they won't ever take to LOI football. Just like football in England only really became "mainstream" after Hillsborough and the investment in stadiums, likewise football in Ireland won't have mass appeal until the stadiums are sorted out. Shels made a good go of it years ago and almost bankrupted themselves but it will require government and private investment to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

I agree, Dundalk players and managment deserved to be in the Champions League, what they don't deserve is to be playing a game of that magnitude in Oriel Park. The bounce of the ball is a joke, you can visably see mounds of black pebbles building at certain area's of the pitch, the whole spectacle was unfortunate.

Fair play to Dundalk for giving it a right go, especially in the 1st Leg but I think BATE underestimated them and upped their game last night, and on another day, they would have scored 6 or 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Coat22 wrote: »
    Watched the Dundalk match last night - first time since last seasons final matches that I watched a LOI side.

As usual the football is of a decent standard and entertaining. The problem with soccer in Ireland is not whats on the pitch its the infrastructure off it.

Oriel Park looked like some sort of third world hill side "stadium" on the side of a mountain in the Himalayas.

Until the public have decent facilities to go to they won't ever take to LOI football. Just like football in England only really became "mainstream" after Hillsborough and the investment in stadiums, likewise football in Ireland won't have mass appeal until the stadiums are sorted out. Shels made a good go of it years ago and almost bankrupted themselves but it will require government and private investment to do so.

While the "facilities" argument holds some water, it is only a very small part of the overall reason why people don't go.

Facilities wise, Turners Cross is excellent for the home fans. (The away fans toilet facilities are a bit crap I believe.) All seater, excellent pitch, decent floodlighting, a few "food" outlets scattered around the ground. But its not like CCFC are batting people away every week.

Similar with Tallaght. Longford tried the "Fields Of Dreams" approach with the Flansiro and nobody gave a shíte about that either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

gimmick wrote: »
    While the "facilities" argument holds some water, it is only a very small part of the overall reason why people don't go.

Facilities wise, Turners Cross is excellent for the home fans. (The away fans toilet facilities are a bit crap I believe.) All seater, excellent pitch, decent floodlighting, a few "food" outlets scattered around the ground. But its not like CCFC are batting people away every week.

Similar with Tallaght. Longford tried the "Fields Of Dreams" approach with the Flansiro and nobody gave a shíte about that either.

Away fans will be delighted to know that work on a block of toilets at the back of the away stand will begin in two weeks.

Agree but it will take a league where all clubs have a similar standard of facilities before you will get traction. Harder to get behind rovers when you know that every second week you have to travel to some sh*t hole with 1930s facilities. Most leagues have minimum standards, thought the LOI did too but looking at Oriel Park last night obviously not.

Not sure professional football will ever be sustainable somewhere like Longford, however take it down the road to Athlone as a "regional" team and it should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Agree but it will take a league where all clubs have a similar standard of facilities before you will get traction. Harder to get behind rovers when you know that every second week you have to travel to some sh*t hole with 1930s facilities. Most leagues have minimum standards, thought the LOI did too but looking at Oriel Park last night obviously not.

Not sure professional football will ever be sustainable somewhere like Longford, however take it down the road to Athlone as a "regional" team and it should be.

What's this last bit mean? Athlone already have a team. You're not on about combining them are you?

• Advertisement

You dont have to travel anywhere if you go to all your home games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

real fans go to all games, isn't it.

Sodomists go to all games.

LOL - Masochists. I meant masochists.

I know you don't have to but its part of sport - seems silly being a Rovers fan for example and not wanting to go to a St Pats gams

I know you don't have to but its part of sport - seems silly being a Rovers fan for example and not wanting to go to a St Pats gams
    Sillier than being a Man Utd fan and not going to any of their games?

Omackeral wrote: »
    What's this last bit mean? Athlone already have a team. You're not on about combining them are you?

I would actually start again from scratch and offer regional franchises. One would be a midlands franchise and Athlone Town would be best place for that IMO.

I know this would horrify most people but it would make it sustainable.

Sillier than being a Man Utd fan and not going to any of their games?

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I would actually start again from scratch and offer regional franchises. One would be a midlands franchise and Athlone Town would be best place for that IMO.

What would you think if the FA decided to amalgamate Manchester United and Manchester City, to play out of the City of Manchester stadium?

LOL

ROFLCOPTER

LMFAO

LOLasaraus Rex

• Advertisement
Advertisement