Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League of Ireland in Europe 2015, mod note in OP

1101112131416»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I also think there is a level of cockiness has crept in in recent years. Whether that is just among the fans I dont know, but I do know that when we drew KR, many dismissed then as being "only from Iceland" and were looking ahead to Rosenburg. Im guessing the same applies for SPA.

We were plenty good enough to beat KR, but they set themselves up better and were therefore the better side over 2 games. That was naivety rather than illiteracy on behalf of Caulfield imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

CHealy wrote: »
    I think that was more a reflection of our managers tactics at the time rather than the strenght of our team/league.
    It all ties in to the same thing though. Maybe Cork can get away with being tactically naïve against the Longfords and Galways of this world, but a more clever side will punish them.
    Dundalk and Pats would have been able to easily dispose of KR…
    Pats should easily have disposed of Skonto, but they missed a bucket load of chances and conceded sloppy goals.

gimmick wrote: »
    I also think there is a level of cockiness has crept in in recent years.
    Maybe amongst the fans, but I doubt the same could be said of the players and staff. Although, as I said above, if you’re used to winning 2 or 3 nil week in, week out, that has to lead to a certain level of complacency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

If anything, the team respected KR too much. They were the seeded team and have a pedigree Europe (even if just the early rounds) that a lot of our squad, including the manager, don't have. Because of that, we played very cautiously in the away leg. If we hadn't given them as much respect when they went down to ten man and had a bit more belief in our ability, I think we'd have gotten the second goal to ultimately win the tie.

I don't see how arrogances would have crept in from league form. Limerick took points off Dundalk and Longford and Derry put it up to them, Bray put it up to us, so it's not like the big sides are having it all their own way. Sure, they're winning the vast majority of the time, but that's why they're at the top and qualifying for Europe in the first place. It's the same as any league the world over. The likes of Barcelona and Real Madrid are rarely beaten in La Liga. In the 00s, the league winners used to be getting about 80-85 points. In the last few seasons, it's been 95-100, with goal differences of +80-90. That suggests that their domestic league is becoming less of a challenge, with them hammering other teams more often. But it hasn't stopped them from dominating European competitions.

In the expanded leagues like La Liga, with two games against every team, you play smaller teams more often and bigger teams less often, so that reduces the relative competitiveness by another notch. In the LoI, you play your peers more often (whether that be more title challenger matches or relegation dogfights), compared to the matches with a huge gulf in class that 1st vs 20th would be. So, in a league with a "big 4/5" and a big drop off in quality thereafter, you'd have 6/8 particularly tough matches out of 38 in a 20 team league versus 9/12 out of 33 in a 12 team league.

There's always a big gulf between the top and the rest in plenty of leagues. There was as well in the LoI during the "golden years" in Europe from 2004 to 2008. So, I don't think it's a valid reason for us doing poorly this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

According to a TV analyst on Twitter, Dundalk's home match against BATE had an average of 135k and peaked at 237k. That beat the highest EPL match viewed in Ireland in the 2014/15 season, Man Utd v Southampton on Sky Sports, which had an average of 131k and a peak of 231k. Now, the results would've been skewed a bit by RTÉ being on terrestrial television and a lot of Sky viewers probably using online streams, but it's something that an LoI team is getting those kind of viewing figures, even for one game a year.

I hope Dundalk got a good deal off RTÉ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    According to a TV analyst on Twitter, Dundalk's home match against BATE had an average of 135k and peaked at 237k. That beat the highest EPL match viewed in Ireland in the 2014/15 season, Man Utd v Southampton on Sky Sports, which had an average of 131k and a peak of 231k. Now, the results would've been skewed a bit by RTÉ being on terrestrial television and a lot of Sky viewers probably using online streams, but it's something that an LoI team is getting those kind of viewing figures, even for one game a year.

I hope Dundalk got a good deal off RTÉ.

It also demonstrates the interest in watching Irish clubs play at a certain level of competition. I know that's frustrating, because there is the chicken / egg scenario of needing the people to come now to ever reach that level consistently, but the interest IS there if it could be reached.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Decent documentry there on setanta about Dundalk in Europe

well before my time but it amazes me how that game with Linfield was allowed to go ahead after the incidents 2 days previous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

While comparisons don't mean a huge amount, worth noting that Scotland have no representatives remaining in Europe bar Celtic. Abderdeen won a round before being knocked out but it was losses otherwise.

And Northern Ireland have all representatives gone also. Linfield beat a Faroes Islands team and Crusaders won their first round CL tie before being beaten by the Albanian champs.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    While comparisons don't mean a huge amount, worth noting that Scotland have no representatives remaining in Europe bar Celtic.
    I noticed that myself - with the exception of the Old Firm, the performances of SPL teams in Europe over the last decade or so have generally been very poor.

I think it underlines the fact that there really are no easy games in Europe anymore and Irish sides do a remarkable job, given their limited resources, of even making themselves competitive at this level.

That said, I don't think the SPL is something the LOI should be comparing itself too.

If anyone's interested, BATE qualified for the group stages of the Champions League this evening, overcoming Partizan Belgrade on away goals, having beaten Videoton (who only scraped past TNS after extra time) 2-1 on aggregate in the previous round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

If anything that shows that the gap is not that huge , dundalk did really well against BATE and would have definitley beaten Videoton

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

If anything that shows that the gap is not that huge , dundalk did really well against BATE and would have definitley beaten Videoton

They wouldn't have definitely beaten Videton,Dundalk looked great 1st leg but Bate did show their experience/class in the 2nd leg. Its a shame they didnt have a chance at the Europa League qualifiers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Defintely? I presume you know plenty about Videoton to make such a statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Lets not forget that on another night BATE would have won 6 or 7 nil in Oriel Park, they really upped their game after a bit of misjudgement from the first leg. The gap is huge.

Lets not forget that on another night BATE would have won 6 or 7 nil in Oriel Park...
    Eh, no. No, they wouldn't. BATE were the better side and they should have won on the night, but Gary Rodgers hardly had a save to make.

The point is that Dundalk managed to compete with a side that have qualified for the group stages. You could rightly argue that Dundalk would have been lucky to go through, but they were in the tie right up until the death. It demonstrates that the gap between Irish sides and sides in the group stages of the CL (albeit the weakest sides) is not that colossal, even though the gap in resources is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

djpbarry wrote: »
    Eh, no. No, they wouldn't. BATE were the better side and they should have won on the night, but Gary Rodgers hardly had a save to make.

The point is that Dundalk managed to compete with a side that have qualified for the group stages. You could rightly argue that Dundalk would have been lucky to go through, but they were in the tie right up until the death. It demonstrates that the gap between Irish sides and sides in the group stages of the CL (albeit the weakest sides) is not that colossal, even though the gap in resources is.

Eh eh eh eh No, Dundalk cannot compete with the likes of BATE which means the gap is big because Dundalk are heads and shoulders above the rest of the LOI at the moment. (I'm a Cork City fan btw)

BATE manager himself came out and said after the first leg that he got it wrong about Dundalk, I'm sure if they were more professional about it, the score would have been alot more than 2-1. As I said, on another night when the shooting boots were on, BATE would have scored 6 or 7 easy in the second leg.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I'm of the the miss is as good as a mile mentality. Irish teams have been getting heroic defeats since god knows when, at the end of the day, we've yet to get a team into the CL group stages.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

...Dundalk cannot compete with the likes of BATE...
    Except that they did.
    BATE manager himself came out and said after the first leg that he got it wrong about Dundalk...
    Fairly sure Partizan Belgrade's manager would have said the same thing when Shams knocked them out of the Europa League a few years ago - doesn't change anything.

I'm of the the miss is as good as a mile mentality.
    Oh sure - I agree. I'm not one for reflective glory either and I'm certainly not saying Dundalk only just missed out on qualification for the group stages - they had two more rounds to get through at the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Lets not forget that on another night BATE would have won 6 or 7 nil in Oriel Park, they really upped their game after a bit of misjudgement from the first leg. The gap is huge.
    Probably would have agreed with you before our games with them but having seen them twice the gap is not as big as I thought it would be. Without doubt they were the better side over the two legs but physically we matched up to them a lot better than I expected. Mountney bullying their left back in the first leg was a particular surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'm of the the miss is as good as a mile mentality. Irish teams have been getting heroic defeats since god knows when, at the end of the day, we've yet to get a team into the CL group stages.

I'm of the if a shagging Kazakh team can get into the Group Stages then we should have a chance ourselves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

cson wrote: »
    I'm of the if a shagging Kazakh team can get into the Group Stages then we should have a chance ourselves!

Yeah, cos it's not like Astana are funded by an oil rich state. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Yeah, cos it's not like Astana are funded by an oil rich state. :rolleyes:

Fair point but they've still got mainly Kazakh players in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

cson wrote: »
    Fair point but they've still got mainly Kazakh players in the team.
    6 of the 11 that played the game against APOEL there weren't Kazakh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We are miles away from having team in CL group stage, miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

We are miles away from having team in CL group stage, miles.
    Yes, you probably are. Dundalk on the other hand........

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭shteve

TBF I think Dundalk were very unlucky with the draw. Take that Albanian team Skenderbeu. They got Crusaders and a Moldovan team en route to the Champions League play off. There is a significant element of luck involved in reaching the group stages of either the CL or EL. Unfortunately, Irish teams have not yet got that rub of the green.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Pighead wrote: »

Are what? On the verge of qualifying?

Knocked out two rounds before the group stages.

Dundalk are far closer than anyone else in Ireland but still nowhere near.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

The team that beat Shamrock Rovers comprehensively in the EL qualifier lost 7-2 to Borrusia Dortmund, still a very big gap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

wadacrack wrote: »
    The team that beat Shamrock Rovers comprehensively in the EL qualifier lost 7-2 to Borrusia Dortmund, still a very big gap.
    Thats Dortmund though. We are talking about qualifying not winning it

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Are what? On the verge of qualifying?

Knocked out two rounds before the group stages.

Dundalk are far closer than anyone else in Ireland but still nowhere near.
    I think that might have been intended as a humorous comment.

We’re talking about the worst sides in the group stages though, not the best. I'm sure Dortmund would probably give BATE a spanking over two legs too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Are what exactly? Go on I'm listening...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Jesus, unwind there!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Kilometres away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭MarkSRFC21

I wouldn't say rovers were comprehensively beaten

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

They were 3-0 up at home to Dortmund in the first leg also..

Advertisement