Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League of Ireland in Europe 2015, mod note in OP

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Should have been game over there

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

F*ck, i forgot this was on tv. Just switched on now. Look how bright it is!

Didn't Celtic play these these lot last year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

That's that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

that's pretty embarrassing to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Left that one behind us in that we should have tried press home the advantage rather than sit so bloody deep.

But we did and overall can't complain as KR deserved the win. Boo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Well thats it. Well done to KR. They fully deserved that win. Caulfields an idiot. 1-0 up against ten men and we sit back and let them attack. Idiotic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Cork were a disgrace tonight. Gifted a man advantage for the entire second half and they parked the bus??? It actually looked like the Icelanders had the man advantage.
    Caulfield has been shown up badly again as a clueless and cowardly manager. I really hope Cork keep him as manager for the long term future as they will go nowhere under him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Might be blessing long term.

Short term its a lose of 200,000 which been nice for club.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

Hard luck Cork fans, Caulfield has to take the blame for that one.

• Advertisement

Defended him plenty a time, but manager got it 100% wrong tonight.

Like a say might be blessing long term.

doncarlos wrote: »
    Cork were a disgrace tonight. Gifted a man advantage for the entire second half and they parked the bus??? It actually looked like the Icelanders had the man advantage.
    Caulfield has been shown up badly again as a clueless and cowardly manager. I really hope Cork keep him as manager for the long term future as they will go nowhere under him.

He doesn't really know how to play from home. His midfielders get neck creaks and he relies on the home crowd of Turner's Cross to push his team up the table.

But yeah....Dublin.

Defended him plenty a time, but manager got it 100% wrong tonight.

Like a say might be blessing long term.

Cork City are prime to take off, just not under Caulfield.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Cork City are prime to take off, just not under Caulfield.

Likes of Miller aint good enough though. He was past it at Hibs never mind now.

Lehane and Morrissey should get proper chance and Holohan too.

We might struggle to get Europe again though after this. Will see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rocky911

They sat back from the 12th min after Marky Sull's goal, in truth should have been over in 90 mins as KR had plenty of chances in to end it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Likes of Miller aint good enough though. He was past it at Hibs never mind now.

Lehane and Morrissey should get proper chance and Holohan too.

We might struggle to get Europe again though after this. Will see.

Haven't seen a whole lot of Cork this year but Holohan is more than good enough to get a start on that team. Waste of talent on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

monkey9 wrote: »
    He doesn't really know how to play from home. His midfielders get neck creaks and he relies on the home crowd of Turner's Cross to push his team up the table.

But yeah....Dublin.

He can be as dodge at home too versus the better teams.

He seems like a nice guy and is probably a victim of his own success and the pressure that has come with it. Had he finished 4th last year his job would be a lot easier this year and challenging for Europe would be acceptable, even with the rubbish football.

There was a lot of Cork fans defending him to the hilt when he was criticised by opposition fans but it seems like they've all changed their tune as he's getting fairly slated on their forum.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Haven't seen a whole lot of Cork this year but Holohan is more than good enough to get a start on that team. Waste of talent on the bench.
    IMO would have been a much better candidate to replace Miller tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

marno21 wrote: »
    IMO would have been a much better candidate to replace Miller tonight.

If Kearney never plays for City again, I'll be happy. Offers absolutely nothing at this stage. The only thing he ever had was speed and that is long gone.

Really hoped Caufield would do well at the club as manager. I know his tactics are bad, and I think any City fan would admit that, but at least last season you could say that he maybe didn't have the squad to play as he liked and that was the reason he played so defensively. I don't think that stands up to scrutiny this season though.

His other big failing from what I see is playing Miller, Healy and Buckley in essentially the same position. OK Healy is shining, but the other two are floundering. Added to that, it leaves one of the full backs totally exposed, I really don't see the benefit in it.

Absolutely gutted overall. I reckon different tactics and we would have gone through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

There is so much more in that Cork squad. Caulfield wont trust the younger players. Not good for their development.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

doncarlos wrote: »
    He can be as dodge at home too versus the better teams.

He seems like a nice guy and is probably a victim of his own success and the pressure that has come with it. Had he finished 4th last year his job would be a lot easier this year and challenging for Europe would be acceptable, even with the rubbish football.

There was a lot of Cork fans defending him to the hilt when he was criticised by opposition fans but it seems like they've all changed their tune as he's getting fairly slated on their forum.

Ah to be fair, there's always been a fair amount of criticism from City fans, even throughout all of last season. When you are winning its a little harder to justify of course, but it was always going to be a long term problem if the football continued as it did, which it has despite pre-season promises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Disgusted to go out like that, 1st shot after 62 minutes.....

Bucko got it wrong again playing unfit players, it cost us away and it cost us again. they played a game we couldnt even if tried.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I am fcuking locked!!!!
    Fcuking heroes ecery single one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Cork were very poor. Their right back is atrocious, lost the ball every time he touched it.

farna_boy wrote: »

His other big failing from what I see is playing Miller, Healy and Buckley in essentially the same position. OK Healy is shining, but the other two are floundering. Added to that, it leaves one of the full backs totally exposed, I really don't see the benefit in it.

Absolutely gutted overall. I reckon different tactics and we would have gone through.

Honestly think Healy has been brutal this season. Was awful in the first leg, worst player on the pitch awful, and was pretty anonymous again last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Well done UCD, great achievement.

Pats were always going to find it tough.

But Cork really blew it by the sounds of things.

NIMAN wrote: »
    But Cork really blew it by the sounds of things.

We did, but to be fair to KR, they were a pretty handy side. No excuses though - we should have been progressing especially given the advantage we had last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Cork were utter poison last night. It was the most inept performance by an Irish side I've seen in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Disgusted to go out like that, 1st shot after 62 minutes.....

Bucko got it wrong again playing unfit players, it cost us away and it cost us again. they played a game we couldnt even if tried.

I agree it was extremely disappointing after so much optimism at the start.

Which players do you feel were unfit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Pats were always going to find it tough.
    Why? Skonto are nothing special. The tie should have been dead and buried by half-time in the first leg.

Raging hangover and a more than 3 hour train journey don't go together.

I may be exaggerating but I think that performance, given the context, was up there with Rovers in Belgrade. For the last 45 minutes every single player threw themselves in front of shots without fear. A good few players could hardly walk out of the dressing room after. Absolutely phenomenal from 1 to 11 plus the subs.

Dudelange really got filthy though and were given free reign to do so by the officials. They could have easily been a man down in the first minute when Jamie Doyle was chopped down when clean through on goal. Coyne's red was probably correct but Langtry was then elbowed shortly afterwards and the guy only got a yellow while we were temporarily down to 9 due to Langtry's bloody nose. Then a Dudelange player kicked Langtry's legs from under him with the ball a good 2 or 3 yards away. Didn't even get booked for that. Thomas Boyle has also said that he was bitten during the game. Would have been a travesty had we lost in the end.

Some atmosphere in our end. Very surreal to have 50 UCD fans at an away game. Even some fans of other Luxembourg teams got involved. Had 3 lads from Kaiserslautern who went to the game and are now planning to go to Bratislava next week.

Hope the "pundits" who called us an embarrassment and questioned whether we should be a LOI team at all have the decency to come out and admit they got it completely wrong.

Finally, hats off to TiltedBrain. Any chance you could conjure up the same optimism for the Slovan Bratislava game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

djpbarry wrote: »
    Why? Skonto are nothing special. The tie should have been dead and buried by half-time in the first leg.

Cos they were a goal down and would have to chase the game, so would always been likely to concede one.

Skonto played us a few seasons back. We comfortable winners in the Brandywell.

Carl O'Neill, Collie O'Neill's son, was born at 5:30 this morning just hours after his Dad came back from Luxembourg. Nice of him to wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    I agree it was extremely disappointing after so much optimism at the start.

Which players do you feel were unfit?

Conan, Ger and Fagan didnt look right and were below par. Could possibly add Browne to that list although I thought he was ok last night. Disappointing to go out like that last night. I can remember them only having 4 chances in the entire match they scored two and one was cleared off the line, We had more chances but just didnt take them. McGrath looks a super talent if only his finish didnt hit the post because the skill leading up to it was superb.

Last few moments of the UCD game on Thursday:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Any of the three games on TV this week?

Hoping Dundalk and UCD can still be even vaguely live for the home legs but won't be holding my breath.

What do Rovers fans here think of their chances against the Norwegians?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Not great to be honest. I think all teams will be out next week.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Cos they were a goal down and would have to chase the game, so would always been likely to concede one.
    Again, why? We’re talking about Skonto Riga here, not Legia Warsaw? And they only needed a 1-0 win to progress, so it’s not like they had to go out all guns blazing from the first whistle.

Pats were odds-on favourites with the bookies to win on the night and rightly so. Going into a home leg with only a one goal deficit to overturn, plus an away goal, is a reasonably strong position to be in. Losing 2-0 at home to a side from Latvia is a very poor result.
    Skonto played us a few seasons back. We comfortable winners in the Brandywell.
    Comfortable?!? Ye beat them by a jammy goal to nil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Worrying tbh. They seem decent. In mid season and did a surprising enough ambush of Sheriff.

Even though we were much better than Progres, I thought a sharper team might have scored against us away/first half hour at home and maybe not have gifted one or two of the goals they did.

Hopefully McPhail and Kenna will be fit again for some part of the ties as they were badly missed. Plus North is available again which is another option off the bench.

Can't see them being exactly expansive games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

I was over in Iceland and even today I'm still completely disgusted at what I saw. Theres been a few times I've been made to feel embarrassed as a Cork City supporter, but usually it had to do with criminal owners through the late 2000's, but Thursday night I was truly sickened to be standing in the ground at full time and for Caulfield give us a clap. In a way I think it might be a blessing we got knocked out because Rosenberg would of had a bit of fun with us, but Caulfield and his footballing ideas directly cost the club over 200 thousand Thrsday night. I think the wheels have fully come off after it, even on our own forum people who would have stuck up for JC on a weekly basis are now saying that it was utter rubbish. His contract runs out at the end of the season, in an ideal world we'll somehow hold onto 2nd or 3rd, get Europe again, and part ways before theres more damage done to his club 'legend' status. If he had any respect for the club he's agree with this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

CHealy wrote: »
    I was over in Iceland and even today I'm still completely disgusted at what I saw.

The issue of Caulfield's tactics have been building up for a while. He tried to deflect the issue a couple of times but that won't work now. It may be good in the long term that this result brings the issue to a head.

To me, it looks like Caulfield is holding Cork City back.

Time to give Rod a proper go?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

ucd bratislava live on Setanta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

The issue of Caulfield's tactics have been building up for a while. He tried to deflect the issue a couple of times but that won't work now. It may be good in the long term that this result brings the issue to a head.

I've been saying it for a while and I agree 100%. He's restored the local pride in the club, he's got the gates back for the most part, but thats as far as it goes. We need someone to bring it to the next level now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

Is the Dundalk game not being televised?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Is the Dundalk game not being televised?

It's on cable TV in Belarus. Belarus 5 is the channel name.

Might be picked up late over here because of that.

edit: I found a stable stream for Belarus 5 anyway so we will probably have a stream at least.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Not confident, but it's hard to know what to make of their win against Sherriff. Is it an indicator of how good they were or how bad Sherriff were...

I think the fact that they are in mid-season makes a huge difference so no advantage in fitness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭DvB

dfx- wrote: »
    Not confident, but it's hard to know what to make of their win against Sherriff. Is it an indicator of how good they were or how bad Sherriff were...

I think the fact that they are in mid-season makes a huge difference so no advantage in fitness.

Their budget is considerably bigger than ours, that's usually a decent indicator as to the relative strength of the two sides, I have no doubts this is a seriously difficult tie, I suspect these are probably the strongest side any of the Irish clubs will face this year (with the possible exception of BATE)
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭AidySevenfold

Dundalk fan refused entry into Belarus. Apparently border police ripped a page from his passport and deemed it invalid. Apparently several eye witnesses to it and something which happens regularly.
    Irish Embassy were of no help. Awful..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Dundalk fan refused entry into Belarus. Apparently border police ripped a page from his passport and deemed it invalid. Apparently several eye witnesses to it and something which happens regularly.
    Irish Embassy were of no help. Awful..

Did he hear the words 'хабар' (chabar) or 'грошы' (haroshe) at any point during this exchange?

He was supposed to give them money.

• Advertisement
Advertisement