Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn leveling

Options
  • 05-06-2015 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭

I have an old and established lawn that is a bit patchy in places and dips right over the sewer pipes. I was thinking of levelling out that section by adding a couple of bags of top soil over the existing lawn. Do I need to by topping off the lawn there with layers of soils stage by stage to allow the existing grass to grow through each layer? Or can I just dump the required amount of soil over grass there and wait for the grass to surface again? Or rather dig the grass out, top off with the required layer of soil and re-sow the lawn over it? Thanks.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

I'd say it depends on the size of the area and how quickly you want a solution. If you add topsoil, you will end up with a lot of weeds.

If the area is small enough, consider lifting the sods, adding the topsoil and replacing the sods..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

If it's a wide and deep hollow: I'd recommend removing the turf, adding the topsoil and replacing the turf. Sowing new seed will make the new patch stand out more, whereas the existing turf is uniform.

If it's a shallow and small area dip: frequent, light topdressings of topsoil and allow the grass grow up through it.

Advertisement