Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FIFA Women's World Cup Canada 2015, Mod Note in OP 7/6

• 05-06-2015 11:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭

This starts tomorrow night with all games Live over the BBC.

This will be the biggest Woman's World Cup with 24 teams and for those not old enough to remember those 24 teams World Cup will give you an idea on how next years Euros will work.
    1st game is at 11pm Canada V China

Group A
    Canada
    China
    New Zealand
    Holland

Group B
    Germany
    Ivory Coast
    Norway
    Thailand

Group C
    Japan
    Switzerland
    Cameroon
    Ecuador

Group D
    USA
    Australia
    Sweden
    Nigeria

Group E
    Brazil
    South Korea
    Spain
    Costa Rica

Group F
    France
    England
    Colombia
    Mexico

Mod Note: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95789539&postcount=56

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

H'on The Germans, I've backed them at 10/3 to win it!

Is it right that some games will be played on Astro pitches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

USA
    Japan
    Germany

One of these teams will win it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Pity Ireland aren't in this. Would definitely generate an interest this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

kfallon wrote: »
    H'on The Germans, I've backed them at 10/3 to win it!

Is it right that some games will be played on Astro pitches?

I think ALL of them are being played on astro. It's an absolute farce.

It would never happen to the men and women suffer more injuries on astro than men because of hips and weaker knee joints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I think ALL of them are being played on astro. It's an absolute farce.

It would never happen to the men and women suffer more injuries on astro than men because of hips and weaker knee joints.

True and FIFA even spent money on the 1994 to convert some astrturf domes in the US to real grass just for the World Cup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

CSF wrote: »
    Pity Ireland aren't in this. Would definitely generate an interest this summer.

Would it thought. Maybe if they got to a final because we love a good bandwagon to jump on but womens sport is the last thing i would watch on tv and i am sure i am not the only one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

niallo27 wrote: »
    Would it thought. Maybe if they got to a final because we love a good bandwagon to jump on but womens sport is the last thing i would watch on tv and i am sure i am not the only one.

You mightn't watch, and there'd be others who wouldnt too. But lots of people who don't usually watch women's football (myself included) definitely would watch if we were in the World Cup. The same way people who wouldn't usually watch the cricket, lots of them (myself included) watched some of the World Cup.

It's absolutely a bandwagon, but no biggie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I'll definitely give the tournament a go. I won't watch every game but will have a look at the bigger ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Ill give it an auld watch

So anyone any idea who the "big teams" and "big players" are?

Id guess Brazil and Germany but that would be purely based on the mens version so I have no clue about the womens game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Mr.H wrote: »
    Ill give it an auld watch

So anyone any idea who the "big teams" and "big players" are?

Id guess Brazil and Germany but that would be purely based on the mens version so I have no clue about the womens game

USA are a top dog, usually joint favs with Germany.
    France generally highly fancied also.

• Advertisement

The Brazil women's team kind of piggy backs off Marta and the men's team. They've never won the tournament and have only ever been runners up once.

I'm rooting for the U.S.A! This will be Abby Wambach's last tournament so it'd be nice to see her go out with a gold. If she finishes the tourney with two or more goals than Marta then she will go out as top goal scorer of all time at the WC.

Japan will be looking to defend their title. They were a young squad at the time and now they're much more experienced with many players coming in to their peak age. France, Germany and the U.S.A would be the favourites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Cheering on the England Lionesses (if that's still there nickname). Always look decent until they come up against the top four or five teams then are made to look very very average indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

who are the top players in women's world football playing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

BBC2 were showing a 'history of' the women's world cup.

Looking forward to it, hopefully there will be some good games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

syngindub wrote: »
    who are the top players in women's world football playing?

A few would be...

Marta (Probably the greatest individual female player ever)

Alex Morgan (USA striker. Injury problems going into the World Cup)

Nadine Kessler (German midfielder and current Female Ballon D'Or holder. Injured for the World Cup)

Louisa Necib (French Midfield Playmaker. Nicknamed the Female Zidane)

Christine Sinclair (Canadian striker. Very prolific at International level)

Lotta Schelin (Swedish striker. One of the most prolific strikers in Women's club football)

Canada and China have kicked off. 14 minutes in so far and it's mainly all Canada. It's mostly going through Sinclair at the moment.

China have had the better chances without possession. An awful back pass gave them half a chance and then they have a free kick hit off the post and across the line to the other post and out!

This is what it looks like giving 100% on the astro

Screen-Shot-2015-06-03-at-1.46.52-PM.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

most importantly........

..........any nice looking fillys ??

fryup wrote: »
    most importantly........

..........any nice looking fillys ??

That's not the most important part. :mad:

GRRR!!

Does anyone remember the woman who signed for an Italian mens team a few years ago (in the last 15 years anyway) i think it was a serie B side

I was wondering if we will ever see the day where women are playing for mens sides

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Canada just need to be a little calmer in possession and they'll take this. They just look like that are trying to do things a little faster than is necessary imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Didn't realize this was live, entertaining enough game so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

There is alot fine talent on show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Mr.H wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the woman who signed for an Italian mens team a few years ago (in the last 15 years anyway) i think it was a serie B side

I was wondering if we will ever see the day where women are playing for mens sides

Is it the German one that signed for Perugia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birgit_Prinzhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birgit_Prinz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Who's the Irish one doing the commentary on Eurosport?

Is it the German one that signed for Perugia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birgit_Prinz

I think that was her that I was referring to yea. Just read there about her and it turns out that she declined the offer to sign for them because she though she would be a publicity stunt and never get serious game time

Its a shame. I feel that there must be women out there who could compete with men. Maybe one day it will be not gender based and we will just have professional football (now known as mens teams) and semi professional teams who are aligned with these teams (like a second reserve side) which could have men and women who are not professional and could be run the way the current womens leagues are. It would at least give women a chance to step up to another level.

Id take Marta at Liverpool right now :D

• Advertisement

I genuinely believed as a kid that I'd be the first female to play in the premiership!

Who's the Irish one doing the commentary on Eurosport?

I'm going to take an absolute stab in the dark and say Emma Byrne?

She did a small bit on RTE

EDIT:
    Boom, found confirmation coz I'm a ****ing legend.

https://twitter.com/emmsb30/status/606881942026481665

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I'm going to take an absolute stab in the dark and say Emma Byrne?

She did a small bit on RTE

EDIT:
    Boom, found confirmation coz I'm a ****ing legend.

https://twitter.com/emmsb30/status/606881942026481665

She's like a female Liam Brady, more like the Après Match version.

I've been saying it for a while and I don't know why it seems to be the case but women are much better at getting or just being in the way of the ball than the men. It makes the game a lot more messy and predictable than men's football. That's not a bad thing either.

Apparently it's a record attendance for a women's game in Canada and they were only 500 tickets off of a sell out as of this morning.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

I'll be rooting for France anyway, purely because Louisa Necib is up there among the greatest footballers I've ever seen. Pure class.

After that it'll probably be the US, followed by England. I always find that English female footballers are quite likable as opposed to to their male equivalents whom I find to be detestable arrogant pr**ks.

• Advertisement

Emma Byrne is gonna run out of cliches before the end of this game never mind before the final of the competition!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Watching Canada now reminds me of that absolutely magnificent clash between themselves and the US in the semi final of the Olympics. What a cracker of a match that was!

Wilberto wrote: »
    Watching Canada now reminds me of that absolutely magnificent clash between themselves and the US in the semi final of the Olympics. What a cracker of a match that was!

The one with the Wambach and the McLeod controversy? Dramatic was an understatement!

Lads, that Buchanan at CB for Canada is only 19 years old. She's gonna be unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

tbf the standard of womens football has improved so much in a few years, this World Cup can be huge for womens football.

A 17 year old just came on for Canada...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

90th minute penalty for Canada!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Bad decision by the referee to award the penalty.

So a softish penalty decision is given to the Canadians and after the game, the Chinese still line up and shake the hand of the ref one by one instead of screaming in her face like the men would do.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Definite penalty, nearly missed though, hit the post.

That's Sinclair's 245th goal for Canada

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Morte

I didn't agree with the penalty, I felt the forward ran into the defender as much as anything else.

Buchanan was excellent at centre back for Canada.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

So a softish penalty decision is given to the Canadians and after the game, the Chinese still line up and shake the hand of the ref one by one instead of screaming in her face like the men would do.

Can't beat some good old fashioned sweeping sexist generalisations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Can't beat some good old fashioned sweeping sexist generalisations.

She's right though. Did you see Barcelona in the champions league final? Embarrassing antics.

• Advertisement
Advertisement