Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FIFA Women's World Cup Canada 2015, Mod Note in OP 7/6

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Come on you Lionesses!

(Prediction though is Norway to win by odd goal)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Mars Bar wrote: »
    The standard of keeping in every women's tournament is very, very average. Better than it was before which was utterly abysmal but still average.

Is it not a bit unfair on them to have the same sized goals as the mens game.Most of the women goalies are about 5ft 8 which although tall for a woman is tiny for a male goalkeeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Is it not a bit unfair on them to have the same sized goals as the mens game.Most of the women goalies are about 5ft 8 which although tall for a woman is tiny for a male goalkeeper.

A bit unfair but presumably women want to play the game on the same dimensions as the mans game.

At a practical level it would be a big financial issue for the womens game if the goal size was different - every county council/public park would need to take the hit on the cost of having completely separate pitches for the womens game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It's annoying as it takes away from the game a bit but we can't cry for equality and then ask for something different. Also as Armani said, it wouldn't be very practical at grassroots.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Norway much the better side, but they haven't made their dominance count.

I don't necessarily think it's about the size of the goals. Brazilian keeper last night just spilled the ball coming straight at her.

That was the perfect corner by Norway!

England have equalised with their own corner now through Steph Houghton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Great header for the equaliser!

kfallon wrote: »
    Great header for the equaliser!

Just bulldozing through people to get her head on it. Loved it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

Two good headed finishes.

• Advertisement

Wow what a goal

What a goal!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

What a strike that was.

Bronze has looked a good player all game but didn't see her producing that!

England are finding their way forward much better than the first half now.

• Advertisement

England look fitter, stronger and more confident now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The US come across as a very dislikeable petulant team when things were going wrong for them in this game. Not really impressed. Wambach missing her penalty with her 'wrong' foot was just weird. Why would you change foot?

France or Germany have been better than them..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

dfx- wrote: »
    The US come across as a very dislikeable petulant team when things were going wrong for them in this game. Not really impressed. Wambach missing her penalty with her 'wrong' foot was just weird. Why would you change foot?

Got a dislike for the US team from the Semi Final in the Olympics with there match V Canada

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

I've been watching the Womens World Cup and enjoyed a lot of the games. Have previous World Cup's been televised like this? I don't remember any.

England were really good last night once Norway scored and they had to go for it. Substitutions worked a treat for them too while the Norwegian subs made no impact whatsoever.

Quite pleased at the lack of diving which is currently ruining the mens game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Could be a surprise finalist this year. The right side of the draw has had a lucky escape, as all the big hitters are on the left side. Going by current World Rankings for the QF:

Left side: 1, 2, 3, 16
    Right side: 6, 8, 10, 4 or 12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

dfx- wrote: »

There's one of those 30 for 30 documentaries about the US women's team when they won during the host year. 99 I think. They won in a penalty shootout against Brazil if I remember correctly. Anyways, the winning penalty was taken by some player with her weaker foot. They were discussing it and the manager had planned it as a tactic to confuse the keeper. As if in some stroke of genius the keeper would be so confused and blow up or something. A keeper is either already guessing which way to dive before it is struck or they will try their best to react once struck. Taken with your "other" foot should have no baring. But American sports are full of these trick tactics and just reeked of trying to apply that same logic to soccer. Of course the tactic was heralded as the deciding factor. To me, it was retarded as the decision was made before kick off. And it's not like the player had time to practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭DaveyCakes

England have really built up momentum from being pretty dire against France. The draw has been kind to them so they could go far. That said, Norway will be kicking themselves.

Overall, I've found the tournament decent, but definitely not as good as 2011. Maybe the artificial pitches haven't helped and I think the expansion to 24 teams was ill-advised. Germany v France on Friday should be interesting!

There's one of those 30 for 30 documentaries about the US women's team when they won during the host year. 99 I think. They won in a penalty shootout against Brazil if I remember correctly. Anyways, the winning penalty was taken by some player with her weaker foot. They were discussing it and the manager had planned it as a tactic to confuse the keeper. As if in some stroke of genius the keeper would be so confused and blow up or something. A keeper is either already guessing which way to dive before it is struck or they will try their best to react once struck. Taken with your "other" foot should have no baring. But American sports are full of these trick tactics and just reeked of trying to apply that same logic to soccer. Of course the tactic was heralded as the deciding factor. To me, it was retarded as the decision was made before kick off. And it's not like the player had time to practice.

Didn't Andy Brehme take his peno in WC Final in 1990 with his weaker foot?

France really should be beating Germany but it's still 0-0. France are playing some lovely football.

France finally get their goal through Necib with the luck of a deflection

France definitely getting better and better after an average performance in their group.

Oo penalty to germany for handball.

1-1

The ref seemed to be a bit pro-French but she did not hesitate in blowing that whistle!

This will make for an interesting finish!

That's an awful dive!! Ref was right to give a free out but that should be a card too.

Awful dive

• Advertisement

This is a really physical game. Some not so nice challenges have been going in!

Think we might get at least one sending off

Ah France just missed an open goal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Ah France just missed an open goal!

Germans will win this now I feel. France have missed 2 sitters in this match.

France are out! Germany scored 5/5 and France missed the final penalty.

France really should have had it wrapped up in the first 90.

The French player with the atrocious dive was the one who missed the peno......just saying....... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I like that French goalscorer

Renard is unbelievable, what a player.....even if she does look like the late Whitney Houston after a heavy night out :p

Irish Lino here, hope she does well

• Advertisement

Australia v Japan on BBC 3 now, Japan look good on the ball but aussies not really troubled yet.

Edit: in fact Australia could have been in there.

Entertaining enough quarter final 'tween England and Canada on BBC2.
    Not a patch of the quality of France v Germany yesterday but quite open.
    England 2-1 up at ht.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 374 ✭✭Jjiipp79

Lmao... Women football... What next....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Sound is off on the tv I'm watching on. What happened to the England keepers eye? Didn't see anyone near her. Though I might have missed it.

Sound is off on the tv I'm watching on. What happened to the England keepers eye? Didn't see anyone near her. Though I might have missed it.

Still unknown - commentator on BBC has talked about an allergic reaction to the artificial surface :confused:

Great win for the Lionesses, the tactically organised Aussies made Japan look quite ordinary for most of their game, so no reason why England can't give them a good game too in the semi final.
    Hopefully it'll do wonders for the women's game in England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Great win for the Lionesses, the tactically organised Aussies made Japan look quite ordinary for most of their game, so no reason why England can't give them a good game too in the semi final.
    Hopefully it'll do wonders for the women's game in England.

In before the "we will never hear the end of it from the Brits" posts.

Hahaha, don't think people should worry yet! I think England are slight underdogs for Semi final but would be absolutely massive underdogs if they got passed Japan. The other semi teams are a huge jump in class from what England have appeared capable of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

:rolleyes: Yeah right. Like Ireland never trumpeted a corrupt win in Swimming.

They are English not British, well they are both but its one not the other.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 374 ✭✭Jjiipp79

I hope to fu*k the japs hammer the English. I read a headline from a English paper saying "this semi is a massive moment for the English game". What a load of crap, they really do like to make things better than they are, I suppose makes it all the better and funnier when the lose. And that's one thing they are good at, losing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Jjiipp79 wrote: »
    "this semi is a massive moment for the English game". What a load of crap

Word to the curiously angry....

But when a nation reaches the WC semi final for the first time, it is a bit moment in their game.

• Advertisement
Advertisement