Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lighting In Attic - DIY Install

Options
  • 05-06-2015 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

So over my free time this past few weeks, I have been flooring my attic. It has turned out a great job and has given me a ton of storage.

I now need lighting up there and I believe I need two separate 4ft fluorescent tubes as the attic is huge.

Is this a simple install and could it be a DIY project? I'm pretty competent with all diy, but electic is one I have only some experience with.

Is there a guide I could follow or could I do 90% of the install and get someone to finish off the final connection? I'm trying to do it on a budget.

Any thoughts / help / guidance appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Is it possible to get a connection off a live 1.5 cable feeding your lights down below(as in are cables running from attic to switch)

It is not difficult but electrical connections and diy is been frowned upon and having to get a contractor to do the jobs seems the only legal way.

It would not be difficult to do.

Buy some 1.5 nymj as easy to run and clip as cable is round.
    Connect to lights 1st and make sure all power is off before even attempting to touch the live end but would recommend getting someone who knows to do that end.

You could fit the light fittings and run and clip the cable and let them connect as would be safer.

Advertisement