Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to Fork it ?

Options
  • 05-06-2015 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

Some advice please.

I am looking at buying a nice red Boardman Race Alu frame and building it up for the missus, It doesn't come with a fork so I will need to get one.

I would like to fit a carbon fork, nothing too special probably just with Alu steerer tube.

My questions are

what size fork will I need for this frame ?

The headtube is not tapered, its usually is fitted with alloy fork in shop as standard, so is it a 1 and 1/8 inch I will need ?

Do I need to consider rake and trail specs on the fork ?

if so how would I decide on these ?

And any recommendation where to get such a fork from ?

I have seen a number of carbon forks from Taiwan would this be a good source ?

Thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭mp31

Judging by the questions, IMO you would be better off buying a frame & fork for the missus and building a nice bike out of that.
    That way they will both have the same paint scheme resulting in a nicer looking bike (which may be important to the missus), the correct headset bearings and the appropriate rake & trail.
    It will also save you an awful lot of hassle and quicker build time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Is it this one:
    593329?$pd_enlarge$

If it is, more details are on the Halfords site: link

Specifically, the headset spec is "FSA No.10P 1.1/8" - Semi Integrated" which sounds like it's 1 1/8" on each end - not tapered - and the bearings come with cups that tap into the frame. Or are probably in it already ...

I can't see any information about geometry on the Halfords site but you might find more on the Boardman site itself - or maybe email Boardman direct with questions.

A carbon fork could make for a smoother ride and would probably shave a bit off the 10.5 KG weight for a standard bike.

The only puzzling thing is - why would somebody remove the original fork ("7005 Alloy Blades with Chromoly Steerer") and not sell it along with the bike?

Maybe just check the bike's provenance before you hand over the readies ...

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭joxerjohn

Thanks for replies.

MP31 - I think you are right re the aesthetic requirements of 'er indoors, she didn't seem over the moon which I mentioned the Frankenstein build project I had in mind ! So I may need to re think the whole thing.

RE the frame only it looks like a unused replacement frame is being sold by the seller so hence no fork.

Advertisement