Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should England take World Football back?

• 05-06-2015 2:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭

They say England is the home of football.With things with FIFA now too far gone,should England set up a new world football association?.

Should England set up new world football association? 48 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    20% 10 votes
    Dont know.
    79% 38 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

It's a don't know from me. Hard to know if their quest to out corruption and go against FIFA is borne out of sour grapes for not being complicit enough or whether they are just not complicit at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

They say England is the home of football.With things with FIFA now too far gone,should England set up a new world football association?.

Headed by Tim Lovejoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Never really happen will it? The next World Cup will be held in Russia the one after in Quatar.

In between they'll be a lot of rhetoric, sabre rattling and hyperbole but ultimately that's what will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Hopefully this thread won't descend into England-bashing for something England haven't even suggested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

The funny thing is the corruption talk is just born out of sour grapes in not getting the world cup

a few days after Russia was announced as the world cup host, it was all over the english press saying things like "we are withdrawing our offer of freedom of the city to <fifa official name>" and "we are withdrawing our invitation for the VIP access to the Olympics for <fifa official names>"

They made this big spiel about things they "offered" the delegates as a goodwill gesture and how they where appalled at the fact Russia was chosen instead of them. So they withdrew all these "goodwill gestures"

Like come on how is this not blatantly obvious that these "gestures" where bribes

The english "taking back football" would change nothing, only they would be the ones being corrupt

Association Football is no longer "an English sport" it is a global game now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I really don't think Greg Dyke is the answer to any question. He isn't really sorting out English football, so I wouldn't entrust the rest of the world to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

As it stands,the name FIFA is rotten and will always carry that tag.A bit like the party that is Fianna Fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Isn't Greg Dyke the guy who thought 16 grand wasn't a lot for a watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

To be ran by the same institution that just charged jack Wilshere for saying the word sh*t? No thanks.

keano_afc wrote: »
    To be ran by the same institution that just charged jack Wilshere for saying the word sh*t? No thanks.

Ah come on, firstly Jack is an idiot an deserves his charge. He did the exact same thing last year and they gave him a slap on the wrist for it. To do it again is just moronic and if he didnt learn his lesson last year he deserves his charge this year. Benefit of the doubt the first time is fair enough, but to go and do it again...............................

Absolutely no issue with the FA charging him

Secondly this really isnt the place to debate it as this is a separate thread.

• Advertisement

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Isn't Greg Dyke the guy who thought 16 grand wasn't a lot for a watch?

Thats his own business if its his own money.John Delaney probably makes him look poor.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Why behove the English to do this?

There should be an alternate FIFA..... I don't care who leads the charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Of all the FAs in the world, I'd say the English one is the most money mad.

Perhaps not the best crowd to run the world game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Mr.H wrote: »
    The funny thing is the corruption talk is just born out of sour grapes in not getting the world cup

a few days after Russia was announced as the world cup host, it was all over the english press saying things like "we are withdrawing our offer of freedom of the city to <fifa official name>" and "we are withdrawing our invitation for the VIP access to the Olympics for <fifa official names>"

They made this big spiel about things they "offered" the delegates as a goodwill gesture and how they where appalled at the fact Russia was chosen instead of them. So they withdrew all these "goodwill gestures"

Like come on how is this not blatantly obvious that these "gestures" where bribes

The english "taking back football" would change nothing, only they would be the ones being corrupt

Association Football is no longer "an English sport" it is a global game now

Yeah, all of the FIFA corruption has come to head because the English are bitter. Wait, what?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Would anyone join them?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Take World football back? England shunned World Football , not taking part in a World Cup until 1950 and club sides not bothering with UEFA competitions until the 1960s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Would anyone join them?

Nope, I'd hazard a guestimate that 99.5% of the 200 associations would stick with FIFA or some similar construct ran by everyone.

Its one of the more bizarre ideas for a thread. Talk in recent threads of UEFA splitting away and setting up an alternate world association at least made sense at some levels.
    But the English as leaders? It lasted what, 5 years the last time they tried it at the beginning of the 20th century before everyone got pissed off at them and told them to take a jump. Would make more sense to have a thread about whether Burundi should set up their own world association.

Why behove the English to do this?

There should be an alternate FIFA..... I don't care who leads the charge.

That was my main point here.I couldnt make Uzbekistan the HQ. Seems people are happy enough with FIFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Mr.H wrote: »
    Ah come on, firstly Jack is an idiot an deserves his charge. He did the exact same thing last year and they gave him a slap on the wrist for it. To do it again is just moronic and if he didnt learn his lesson last year he deserves his charge this year. Benefit of the doubt the first time is fair enough, but to go and do it again...............................

Absolutely no issue with the FA charging him

Secondly this really isnt the place to debate it as this is a separate thread.

Malky Mackay still hasnt been charged. But lets not digress.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Malky Mackay still hasnt been charged. But lets not digress.

That justifies Jacks stupidity yea?

I get that i doesnt seem a big deal what he said but the fact he has been warned before should have made him smart enough not to do it again. No excuse for it.
    AdamD wrote: »
    Yeah, all of the FIFA corruption has come to head because the English are bitter. Wait, what?

Of course FIFA are corrupt. My point is that the English FA tried to bribe FIFA.......................................

lets say i go into a bank to rob it but in the middle of that bank robbery another person comes in with bigger guns and robs me and the bank. I can go to the cops and try to get this other robber arrested but it doesnt mean that i dont also deserve to be arrested!!

The FA and all the FA's (including our own) should be held accountable for any underhanded actions that they where part of

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

No, not England. 1 country out of over 200.

Maybe if FIFA is shown to be broken beyond repair - in that case perhaps Europe as a group could look into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

No one would join them. Englands chest thumping about being the home of football, and their arrogance about having the best league in the world and best this and that from the early 90's, has created a resentment in the international community to them.

This is why plenty of English players and English based players have been overlooked for prestigous awards, with Cristiano Ronaldo being the only winner of the Player of the year award, because it would have been scandalous had it been anyone else.

Their sense of self entitlement, and their harping about being World Cup contenders having won it once, on their own turf, creates a real sense of resentment across Europe. It's also been extremely debatable for the Premier League to be labelled the best league in the world, for some time now.

Was only this week some Government lad there was banging out about "Hey give us the world cup we are ready", in an embarrassing fashion.

Qatar and Russia are going ahead. The simple fact of the matter is investment has already being made, contract signed, and FIFA would leave themselves open to a monstrous lawsuit that could see them wiped out of existence if they were to pull the WC's from these two countries.

There would be stronger arguements and candidates from other EU based countries and their FA's, who have implemented radical plans for their countries football, which have resulted in genuine tangible results and progress. The English Fa are constantly trying to carbon copy other countries initiatives, and by the time it's in place, other countries have moved on.

If a new world order for football was to be created, you would want innovative creative people at the helm, not people who simply copy others( and end up copying what they know, ergo FIFA 2.0)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

The Germans should build a new football federation for all of us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

TheDoc wrote: »

This is why plenty of English players and English based players have been overlooked for prestigous awards, with Cristiano Ronaldo being the only winner of the Player of the year award, because it would have been scandalous had it been anyone else.

Ahem..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Ahem..

Sorry that's my bad, I got mixed up reading the FIFA Player of the Year award and Balon do'r lists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

This is the strangest and most illogical thread I've seen on this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

You got the rediculous concept right but didn't put nearly enough effort into the opening post. 3/10

Advertisement