Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2015 LC Maths Paper 1 - Higher Level - June 5th***

• 05-06-2015 4:19pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭

For post Paper 1 discussion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dazzadazza

Couldn't be happier to be honest. (For now anyway). There a few part cs I didn't get fully but I gave them a decent shot. My trapezoidal rule answer was also miles away from my integration one but apart from that I'm happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Damn BP and their oil spills!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

That went well! :D

It was definitely a fair paper, I got an answer for most questions so should pick up a lot of attempt marks at the very least!

Also I'd strongly advise everyone to avoid looking for solutions. Even if you find out that your answers were wrong, you won't know how the marking scheme will allocate marks, and you could end up getting more marks for the easier parts of the question than the harder ones. Seeing the solutions now is only going to worry you more so there's really no point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭BlueWolf16

Feeling good, seemed like a nice paper. Funny, at like the last 15 minutes, I must have done like 3 parts I had no idea how to do at the start :). First question was pretty tough, had no idea how to calculate the distance, that W complex number question was '??', and in the long q. left the duration in hours, instead of hours/minutes.

Not even going to touch anything answer related, It will probably just depress me. I'm feeling great, now gotta keep that confidence for P2 !

• Registered Users Posts: 21 PotmBottom

I was delighted with it! The Oil Spill question was rather difficult (the last two parts) and I didn't know what was going on for Q4 but overall I'm a very happy camper, funny coincidence is that I got my birthday as the answer to the question 9 part 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Bah_Humbug

That was beautiful. Think I managed everything except symmetry in point of inflection :D

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dazzadazza

If we did want to look for solutions where could we find them?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Krydan

Very nice test but was quite a strange tests compared to the samples I had done.
    Forgot to take away 2 from the last part of question 1 so that's gonna bug me.
    Was afraid of failing Maths, but this test has definitely calmed me down as I feel it went pretty decently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

Calculus making an appearance like 67 times <3

• Registered Users Posts: 5 TheNobleHylian

Felt like the test was going well for the first 6Qs but wasn't confident in any of the Context and Applications questions so I'm starting to worry,didn't get out any answers at the end that I was happy with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

I thought that went well, really well. I'm delighted with it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The_N4sir

Very fair paper:) Managed to answer mostly everything but the oil spill question was rather difficult. Hopefully paper 2 is very similar!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

dazzadazza wrote: »
    If we did want to look for solutions where could we find them?

You'll have to find someone who did the paper. Some teachers or college students usually do the exam and put up solutions here or elsewhere.

I think I'll have a look at it but I'm not going to put them up, that'll just scare some of yous :p

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Quarks

Christ, those ****ing long questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

I was dreading the exam particularly after Geography this morning have to say though I was surprised.
    The financial maths question was one I was worried about and it was an easy one!
    There were hard parts but I found myself able to give decent attempts to everything

I feel bad for my friends who dropped this morning out of worry, it was definitely the most do-able paper in years!

Krydan wrote: »
    Very nice test but was quite a strange tests compared to the samples I had done.
    Forgot to take away 2 from the last part of question 1 so that's gonna bug me.
    Was afraid of failing Maths, but this test has definitely calmed me down as I feel it went pretty decently.

Someone please explain.

I got something like 12 or 14 for this answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Someone please explain.

The answer is 14

2+2(-insert series here-)
    The series summed to 6, x2 is 12, +2 is 14 :)

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Someone please explain.

Ah crap I did the same. It was dropped from a height of 2m so thats why I think you take it away. At least thats what I think....

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

Did the whole oil spill without calculus, pretty sure it was right, does it matter if you don't do it the same way as the marking scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 25 simplyno1

Part (iii) of Q1 was kind of hard. didn't get it out. The plane question wasn't that hard. Questions 2-6 i did quite well in apart from the 2nd part to complex numbers.

The oil spill was quite difficult... only got the first 1 or 2 parts. Got a few more parts on the last question with length of days! Overall it was a great paper. Very happy :) would be delighted if paper 2 was as nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pa limerick

Found most of ur short question ok but really didn't get the long questions and now I'm really worried!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Very nice paper. It showed how easy they were making it in the last question. They should asked for the shortest day of the year which meant we would have used the unit circle and stuff.

The surd question i found tricky, not sure if I got the last part right, the weird function confused me as to where the turning point would be.

For the complex number, what did everyone get? I got '0' at first, but went back and did it slightly differently and I got -1/w.

I got the image wrong for the plane question, which rules out the possibility a flawless. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

I'm happy enough. Obviously didn't get everything out but I did them to my best ability so I should pick up most of the attempt marks. I didn't like that Question 8, definitely my worst answered out of all of them. I looked at the trapezoidal rule about 5 minutes before I went in and was so happy to see it.

I am happy enough, don't think I managed an honours but as long as I get my D3 I am happy!

June 20 or 21?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

The answer is 14

2+2(-insert series here-)
    The series summed to 6, x2 is 12, +2 is 14 :)

Goddamnit...

That's it I think I shall bid farewell to this thread, that was probably the question I was most confident about.

Are you sure it wasn't 8?

Magnate wrote: »
    Goddamnit...

That's it I think I shall bid farewell to this thread, that was probably the question I was most confident about.

Are you sure it wasn't 8?

I got 16 for that question and i was confident aswell.... anyway i think i am gone from this thread aswell don't want to worry

• Registered Users Posts: 25 simplyno1

Can anyone post up a solution to question 8? I'm not scared about finding out i got it wrong, because i know i got it all wrong. just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Bah_Humbug

Very nice paper. It showed how easy they were making it in the last question. They should asked for the shortest day of the year which meant we would have used the unit circle and stuff.

The surd question i found tricky, not sure if I got the last part right, the weird function confused me as to where the turning point would be.

For the complex number, what did everyone get? I got '0' at first, but went back and did it slightly differently and I got -1/w.

I got the image wrong for the plane question, which rules out the possibility a flawless. :(

Yes, I got -1/w

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭gryfothegreat

Wasn't too bad! Very strange paper though, very heavy on integration and differentiation, no proof by induction or bijectivity or logs and indices... That DeMoivre Q was BS! Also I got 91.25 hours for the length of a day haha... Onwards to Paper 2!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Grey Wind

Sooo much calculus. It was tough, but I'd say I got a lot of attempt marks. 4/6 short questions were handy but the long questions were pretty hard. Struggled through them but I made it through in the end. Just happy it's over.

Advertisement