Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2015 LC Maths Paper 1 - Higher Level - June 5th***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

qweerty wrote: »
    Most people who still want to talk about an exam the next day are those who will have done well. Also, I would guess that the average score of Boardsies is pretty high. Whatever the difficulty, ~10% of the country will still get an A, ~30% a B, etc.

Exactly, its not like teaching standards have boomed or fallen by 20% country wide so if the fail rate or even the A rate rises by 10% they'll mark very hardly/lightly to keep the stats in line with previous years.

Kerrypike wrote: »
    Where did you see solution for Q8? Thanks

You're most definitely not alone :-)

http://i.imgur.com/U1CMjhq.jpg There's most of question 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Broseph

Answer to the complex numbers question was 1/w for definite not 0 .

• Registered Users Posts: 2 yukihino

Any one remember Q7 or have solution for it?guess I am the one only have trouble with the reflection ,could not get the answer and I don't know why.
    Anyways I find Q8 easy .Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Broseph

Kremin wrote: »

For the area part I assumed it was a circle initially and it worked but I thought that it should have been the surface area of a cylinder since it's expanding on the bottom aswel which is another circle, and on the sides which is the side of a cylinder?
    Broseph wrote: »
    For the area part I assumed it was a circle initially and it worked but I thought that it should have been the surface area of a cylinder since it's expanding on the bottom aswel which is another circle, and on the sides which is the side of a cylinder?

And I know height is constant but that surely wouldn't affect it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 spottyapples

Kerrypike wrote: »

You're most definitely not alone :-)

Oh phew, I've been worried sick about it. And I'm trying my best to forget about it and focus on paper 2 stuff now, and hopefully redeem myself. I attempted all questions so I'm hoping that's worth something
    Everyone's saying they found it easy, I found most of it tough especially the long questions, I managed to do as much as I can do im being hopefull that I did enough to pass! Here's hoping I can make it Up on p2!

PREECH 🙏🙌

Broseph wrote: »

And I know height is constant but that surely wouldn't affect it?

Yeah i tried total area too and then read the question a few times, saw that it said area of water COVERED... so i thought it was just hte area of one circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 r00d

I know most people were pretty relieved after doing this paper, and I'm expecting like a solid C from this without attempt marks, but it just worries me how the media make it out like there was absolutely no difficulties with this paper whatsoever, kinda has me believe we'll get some bs marking scheme :( what does everyone reckon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

r00d wrote: »
    I know most people were pretty relieved after doing this paper, and I'm expecting like a solid C from this without attempt marks, but it just worries me how the media make it out like there was absolutely no difficulties with this paper whatsoever, kinda has me believe we'll get some bs marking scheme :( what does everyone reckon?

The media is guided by teachers. Every year, a particular one from a well-known grind school is consulted. He has long been an opponent of the reformed curriculum.

The media is guided by teachers. Every year, a particular one from a well-known grind school is consulted. He has long been an opponent of the reformed curriculum.

I can vouch for this well-known teacher though, | did an applied maths class every Saturday with him and his teaching style is amazing, he knows exactly what to cover and how long to spend on each topic.
    Eventually his comments are going to start getting through and the maths paper is going to be multiplied in difficulty, and I feel sorry for anyone who does maths the year this happens :p.

I do think its ridiculous saying anyone could have done that HL paper though.. sure they could've made the language more tricky, more project-maths style etc but what does it really change?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 r00d

Suppose I can't really blame him for that, year by year they just prove to us how they didn't properly develop the project maths course before launching it.

Yes, Kremin I agree with that, as long as there is a distinctive difference between the standards of the HL and OL paper (which there were) it's a little far fetched for them to make it seem like those 25 points were just handed to us.

r00d wrote: »
    Suppose I can't really blame him for that, year by year they just prove to us how they didn't properly develop the project maths course before launching it.

Yes, Kremin I agree with that, as long as there is a distinctive difference between the standards of the HL and OL paper (which there were) it's a little far fetched for them to make it seem like those 25 points were just handed to us.

the stress some people take on doing HL maths is enough for those 25 points anyway. I've literally seen people break down from HL .

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Stop procrastinating and go study :P

And, be careful with your units ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

I'll be honest, I've done past and sample papers to practice for the exam and that was the hardest Paper 1 I've ever done. Maybe the nature of it wasn't actually harder but just less suited to me, but it was a real kick in the nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Daire234

Did anyone else get 13 hours for the last part of Q8?

Nim wrote: »
    Stop procrastinating and go study :P

And, be careful with your units ;)

I study, just in very, very short bursts :P..

but yeah you're right I should really go save my history result.

I can vouch for this well-known teacher though, | did an applied maths class every Saturday with him and his teaching style is amazing, he knows exactly what to cover and how long to spend on each topic.
    Eventually his comments are going to start getting through and the maths paper is going to be multiplied in difficulty, and I feel sorry for anyone who does maths the year this happens :p.

I do think its ridiculous saying anyone could have done that HL paper though.. sure they could've made the language more tricky, more project-maths style etc but what does it really change?

As can I: I had him (/her :p) full-time for both Maths and AM. But I don't think his excellence as a teacher necessarily lends him more credibility than others. On occasion, he used his class as a propaganda exercise against the PM syllabus.

To be clear, he is far from the only one in opposition: this is a withering paper written by some academics George Humphrey, author of Concise Maths series, is also in that camp. I have read their arguments extensively, and sympathise with some, but all seem blind to the premise of the reform: that the old syllabus was not encouraging engagement with the principles of maths; people were rote-learning in place of understanding.

All LC subjects are in some way watered down from their true academic grounding. I presume you want to go on to do something mathematical in college. Think of the student who wants to go on to do economics: they're stuck with a woefully reductive and unrepresentative LC curriculum; or a foreign language: they won't encounter any literature in that language despite the fact that it forms the back-bone of a university degree; or physics: the fact that AM is a better preparation for a physics course is pretty telling; etc. It's not right to expect that you should have a thorough grounding in mathematics at the expense of the overwhelming majority who don't wish to continue it, when virtually no other subject offers a particularly good preparation for college.

That said, for all the difficulties that would arise, I think there should be another, more-advanced subject that caters for those who want study further maths. But how could there be universal provision, and would it get the same weighting as every other subject? And if it could only be taken instead of the standard maths subject, few would study a more difficult subject for no points gain, but if it could be taken alongside standard maths, it's like automatically giving someone who is very good at maths two As.

Anyway, new maths curriculum may be flawed, but it's not brainless.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Quarks

I honestly have no idea how teachers are complaining that the higher paper was too easy, sure, the section A part might have been not that difficult, but I found the section B to be fairly hard.

What irks me is that the majority of people in this thread said it was a breeze, so maybe it was easy. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Luke Armstrong

That said, for all the difficulties that would arise, I think there should be another, more-advanced subject that caters for those who want study further maths.

Yes, it's called applied maths

As can I: I had him (/her :p) full-time for both Maths and AM. But I don't think his excellence as a teacher necessarily lends him more credibility than others. On occasion, he used his class as a propaganda exercise against the PM syllabus.

To be clear, he is far from the only one in opposition: this is a withering paper written by some academics George Humphrey, author of Concise Maths series, is also in that camp. I have read their arguments extensively, and sympathise with some, but all seem blind to the premise of the reform: that the old syllabus was not encouraging engagement with the principles of maths; people were rote-learning in place of understanding.

All LC subjects are in some way watered down from their true academic grounding. I presume you want to go on to do something mathematical in college. Think of the student who wants to go on to do economics: they're stuck with a woefully reductive and unrepresentative LC curriculum; or a foreign language: they won't encounter any literature in that language despite the fact that it forms the back-bone of a university degree; or physics: the fact that AM is a better preparation for a physics course is pretty telling; etc. It's not right to expect that you should have a thorough grounding in mathematics at the expense of the overwhelming majority who don't wish to continue it, when virtually no other subject offers a particularly good preparation for college.

That said, for all the difficulties that would arise, I think there should be another, more-advanced subject that caters for those who want study further maths. But how could there be universal provision, and would it get the same weighting as every other subject? And if it could only be taken instead of the standard maths subject, few would study a more difficult subject for no points gain, but if it could be taken alongside standard maths, it's like automatically giving someone who is very good at maths two As.

Anyway, new maths curriculum may be flawed, but it's not brainless.

Just so we're on the same page... is this well known teacher -- or am I completely out of the loop. I never heard him/her discuss the PM syllabus in our class, odd.

• Advertisement

Yes, it's called applied maths

The "maths" in Applied Maths is of a lower standard than Higher Maths.

The "maths" in Applied Maths is of a lower standard than Higher Maths.

Hahahahhahahahahahahhahahahaha. Yeah... no.

Could you give me one example on the applied maths course which is easier than HL maths?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Luke Armstrong

Could you give me one example on the applied maths course which is easier than HL maths?

Thought he was trying to find a harder version of hl maths

Don't know what that means. I'm in college and got A's in Maths and AM; you've yet to sit paper II. AM is all algebra, a tiny bit of trig identities and watered-down and procedural diff equations. Hence, the standard of "maths" (not the difficulty) is lower than Higher Maths.

Just so we're on the same page... is this well known teacher -- or am I completely out of the loop. I never heard him/her discuss the PM syllabus in our class, odd.

Yeah. Mods get very tetchy if you give away details identifying a teacher, fsr.

I mean, I exaggerated for effect. And maybe he's lost interest now that it has been implemented, but, on several occasions, he gave a negative, one-sided account of PM.

Don't know what that means. I'm in college and got A's in Maths and AM; you've yet to sit paper II. AM is all algebra, a tiny bit of trig identities and watered-down and procedural diff equations. Hence, the standard of "maths" (not the difficulty) is lower than Higher Maths.

Yeah. Mods get very tetchy if you give away details identifying a teacher, fsr.

I mean, I exaggerated for effect. And maybe he's lost interest now that it has been implemented, but, on several occasions, he gave a negative, one-sided account of PM.

Removed his initials.
    I really just can't see how you think the standard of maths is lower in AM.
    It still has vectors and relative velocity which were removed from the maths course.
    The differential equations may be "watered" down but they don't even appear on the maths course.
    Projectiles requires a knowledge of trig functions and how to manipulate them etc.
    Particle Dynamics can have upwards of 3 or 4 variables to solve where as HL maths at most has 3?

Anyway I don't think it really matters anyway, it no longer affects me how easy/hard maths paper 1 is.
    What are you doing in college with an A in both Maths and AM btw?

Removed his initials.
    I really just can't see how you think the standard of maths is lower in AM.
    It still has vectors and relative velocity which were removed from the maths course.
    The differential equations may be "watered" down but they don't even appear on the maths course.
    Projectiles requires a knowledge of trig functions and how to manipulate them etc.
    Particle Dynamics can have upwards of 3 or 4 variables to solve where as HL maths at most has 3?

Vectors was the shortest chapter of all the things we did with the aforementioned grind school teacher. He recommended that everyone do it in the exam as it was easy to score well in. Opponents of PM use vectors and matrices as examples of how the course has been stripped, when in reality they formed a very small part.

I think you misunderstand what I mean and conflate "standard" with "difficulty". There is unequivocally a greater variety of topics in Higher Maths, and, therefore, the standard of mathematical attainment is higher. The poster, Luke Armstrong, suggested that AM provides the type of curriculum that someone such as yourself desires. But, that's not what you are looking for, is it? It is hugely enjoyable and rewarding (before the repetition of questions neuters it), but it doesn't introduce you to proper integration, to interesting topics like groups, etc.

Vectors was the shortest chapter of all the things we did with the aforementioned grind school teacher. He recommended that everyone do it in the exam as it was easy to score well in. Opponents of PM use vectors and matrices as examples of how the course has been stripped, when in reality they formed a very small part.

I think you misunderstand what I mean and conflate "standard" with "difficulty". There is unequivocally a greater variety of topics in Higher Maths, and, therefore, the standard of mathematical attainment is higher. The poster, Luke Armstrong, suggested that AM provides the type of curriculum that someone such as yourself desires. But, that's not what you are looking for, is it? It is hugely enjoyable and rewarding (before the repetition of questions neuters it), but it doesn't introduce you to proper integration, to interesting topics like groups, etc.

Maybe they should split the maths course again some day, into OL (60 POINTS) HL (100) and then Further Maths (125) like they do in britain.. although this will probably just cause more problems. Our education systems ****ed anyway

Maybe they should split the maths course again some day, into OL (60 POINTS) HL (100) and then Further Maths (125) like they do in britain.. although this will probably just cause more problems. Our education systems ****ed anyway

They don't have three streams at ALevel; just Maths and FM. The fact that maths is compulsory here creates complications and the points system gives rise to unique problems. I agree that, in theory, something like that would be the solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dazzadazza

Daire234 wrote: »

I got 12 hours 1 minute. I might have done the integration wrong though, I haven't seen any solutions yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭expiiplus1

Daire234 wrote: »

I can't actually remember my precise number, but I recall noticing it was closer to 12 than I imagined. (I forgot cos could be negative) So yeah, that sounds about right.

Advertisement