Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2015 LC Maths Paper 1 - Higher Level - June 5th***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Laurentf

Am I the only one who found it extremely tough? This is really worrying

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tahtguy

Guys thats what I got for 8 (d). Can someone please tell me if my work makes any sense.

I got the volume of the oil slick when it reaches the land, The volume is: (100000)*pi*0.1

Then I let that equal to (4*10^6)t

t=250pi min
    t=13 hrs and 5 mins

Unfortunately I left my answer as 250pi in the exam

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Daire234

expiiplus1 wrote: »
    I can't actually remember my precise number, but I recall noticing it was closer to 12 than I imagined. (I forgot cos could be negative) So yeah, that sounds about right.

Are you maybe getting mixed up with Q8 and Q9? There was no cosine function in q8, 'how long does it take for the oil to reach the shore' was the question I was referring to.

tahtguy wrote: »
    Guys thats what I got for 8 (d). Can someone please tell me if my work makes any sense.

I got the volume of the oil slick when it reaches the land, The volume is: (100000)*pi*0.1

t=250pi min
    t=13 hrs and 5 mins

Yes I got the same answer

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tahtguy

Daire234 wrote: »
    Yes I got the same answer

do u think I will lose much marks for leaving it as 250pi?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

No, you should get most of the marks.

I think it will be marked hard because it wasn't a difficult paper, at most 3 marks, all you forgot to do was divide by 60

• Registered Users Posts: 1 darrenid

in one of the last few questions were you supposed to put your calculator in radian mode?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭expiiplus1

Are you maybe getting mixed up with Q8 and Q9? There was no cosine function in q8, 'how long does it take for the oil to reach the shore' was the question I was referring to.

Yes, that was it. Sorry I can't remember what I got for that at all. I just remember that you calculated the time when the radius of the circle was 1km. It was a straightforward enough problem, once you got that trick, so apart from messing up with the units (which at first I did - more reason to loathe Project Maths) there wasn't much you could do wrong :)

Laurentf wrote: »

I wouldn't be worried. You have a bit of a bias here, as only the people who did really well - or felt they did - are going to post about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Do You Even Squat

What did everyone get for the last part of q9?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Laurentf wrote: »

I found it really tough too!! Think I passed - hoping for a C2 but not sure at this stage whether I'll get it or not :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Found the answers done out on line - https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0371/6905/files/LCHM_P1_ANSWERS_15.Image.Marked.pdf?15485021131360528641 - marking scheme will be released in August

What did everyone get for the last part of q9?

I think it was 12.224 hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Broseph

I think it was 12.224 hrs

Got 10 hours 45 but in the exam I got 13 I think, because integrating sin is -cos I left it as positive

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rwalsh97

These worked solutions are incorrect in many places. Q1, he doesn't account for the ball being dropped from a height of 2 metres, instead he assumes it is first thrown to that height.
    Other various questions there are errors such as not squaring the value for r in pir^2 etc.
    By the way, answer to the last question, part d of q9 was 15 hours 15 minutes. 12 hours is incorrect as that's the length of the shortest day (roughly), and we know the longest day is 17, or 17h15 which I got... so I can confidently say after minutes of scribbles and starting again on the back of the exam, my final answer cas correct.
    source: lc hl 2015 student

Broseph wrote: »
    Got 10 hours 45 but in the exam I got 13 I think, because integrating sin is -cos I left it as positive

Got 10 hours 45 as well

Got 10 hours 45 as well
    For the average day length?

For the average day length?

yes

yes

For the complex numbers question I did it twice and got 0 and -1/w it depends if u look at it like w^n-1 is the nth term because of the 1 at the beginning or look at it as the n-1th term including the 1 I. I did it as a sequence leaving out the one altogether and saying the first term was w and then got zero a second time but I think -1/w is correct because they said 'in its simplest terms' that's probably not 0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 rwalsh97

For the complex numbers question I did it twice and got 0 and -1/w it depends if u look at it like w^n-1 is the nth term because of the 1 at the beginning or look at it as the n-1th term including the 1 I. I did it as a sequence leaving out the one altogether and saying the first term was w and then got zero a second time but I think -1/w is correct because they said 'in its simplest terms' that's probably not 0

I got 0 too, the other A1 guy in my class got 0, I think it's 0, or 0 + 0i, which i didnt write it as anyway

I did it twice and got 3 different answers: 0, -1/w and i cant remember the other. Hopefully i get some attempt marks

I did it twice and got 3 different answers: 0, -1/w and i cant remember the other. Hopefully i get some attempt marks

At least 7/10 Id say

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

t=250pi min
    t=13 hrs and 5 mins

The expression for volume is incorrect, the radius should be squared but as far as I can tell, your final answer is correct. I presume you just forget to type out the square?

rwalsh97 wrote: »
    These worked solutions are incorrect in many places. Q1, he doesn't account for the ball being dropped from a height of 2 metres, instead he assumes it is first thrown to that height.
    Other various questions there are errors such as not squaring the value for r in pir^2 etc.
    By the way, answer to the last question, part d of q9 was 15 hours 15 minutes. 12 hours is incorrect as that's the length of the shortest day (roughly), and we know the longest day is 17, or 17h15 which I got... so I can confidently say after minutes of scribbles and starting again on the back of the exam, my final answer cas correct.
    source: lc hl 2015 student

Sorry, you're the one who is wrong. sin can be negative and so days can be less than 12.25 hours. ;)

Also 0 is definitely the right answer to the complex number problem. They adapted a well known problem. Google "roots of unity"

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

expiiplus1 wrote: »
    Also 0 is definitely the right answer to the complex number problem. They adapted a well known problem. Google "roots of unity"

Are people still debating this? I posted a proof why theres n terms if you include 1 and n-1 if you just start the sequence from w...

when you were integrating I think you divided by pi/365, which is incorrect as pi does not equal 3.14 in this case, you were supposed to divide by 72/73

when you were integrating I think you divided by pi/365, which is incorrect as pi does not equal 3.14 in this case, you were supposed to divide by 72/73

Why? I was using radian mode

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭fin709

For question 1 part 2 do you not just add 2, 3/2, 3/2 and so on... why has the solution guy done it different?

Advertisement