Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2015 LC Maths Paper 1 - Higher Level - June 5th***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

Daire234 wrote: »
    when you were integrating I think you divided by pi/365, which is incorrect as pi does not equal 3.14 in this case, you were supposed to divide by 72/73

The question said (in radians) so changing the mode of your calculator to Radians would have saved a whole lot of confusion and time guys :p.
    I made the exact same mistake honestly, did everything in degrees, was really confused how my avg # of hours was lower than the shortest day, then it clicked that I had done everything in degrees whilst using the pi symbol which is 3.14 in deg, not 180....

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Daire234

Broseph wrote: »
    Why? I was using radian mode

I could be wrong, but I think radian mode only works when you are using a trigonometric function, when you brought pi outside it changes to 3.14 even if it is in radian mode and it should equal 180

• Registered Users Posts: 4 j9876

Looked over the paper there and kicking myself.... I never multiplied out my complex no. answer so it is left as a fraction and forgot to round off my financial maths question. Will I lose many marks do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Broseph

Daire234 wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but I think radian mode only works when you are using a trigonometric function, when you brought pi outside it changes to 3.14 even if it is in radian mode and it should equal 180

But even if the angle is in radians it doesn't matter if you bring the pi outside and multiply by it because you're not multiplying by pi the angle your multiplying by pi the number. I see what youean though I don't know if the pi keeps the 180 value when you bring it outside the trigonometric function or does is change to 3.14?

j9876 wrote: »
    Looked over the paper there and kicking myself.... I never multiplied out my complex no. answer so it is left as a fraction and forgot to round off my financial maths question. Will I lose many marks do you think?

Only if theyre really desperate to take marks away, but you did finish the sums, and correctly i assume, so small things like forgetting to simplify fully should only be max 2 marks lost.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭expiiplus1

Kremin wrote: »
    Only if theyre really desperate to take marks away, but you did finish the sums, and correctly i assume, so small things like forgetting to simplify fully should only be max 2 marks lost.

Thanks Kremin.
    Many people don't seem to realise what a mathematical proof is. We're not talking about English - something's either right or wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dazzadazza

Sorry just wondering Kremin are you a teacher or a student? Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 5 muller55

Anyone got the solutions to Q7 and Q9?

dazzadazza wrote: »
    Sorry just wondering Kremin are you a teacher or a student? Haha

A student, ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭theRB

expiiplus1 wrote: »
    Sorry, you're the one who is wrong. sin can be negative and so days can be less than 12.25 hours. ;)

If you just think about it, if the day length is 12.25hrs on March 21, as they get longer over the summer the average length will obviously be more than 12.25hrs. I got 15hrs15mins which I'm happy with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dazzadazza

A student, ha.

You seem to know what you're talking about lol... Are you looking for an A1 in this?

dazzadazza wrote: »
    You seem to know what you're talking about lol... Are you looking for an A1 in this?

Well, I've been lurking these threads since they were created so at this point, just reciting what other people have said and what my teachers have told me. And yeah I'm aiming for an A1 :) Maths is by far my favourite subject in school
    fin709 wrote: »
    For question 1 part 2 do you not just add 2, 3/2, 3/2 and so on... why has the solution guy done it different?

Which solution guy are you referring to?

Do you guys think that the exam will be marked extra hard this year due to the majority of students saying it was easy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Do you guys think that the exam will be marked extra hard this year due to the majority of students saying it was easy?

Looks like it. One way or the other, it has to fit the bell curve. They're probably not able to give one question 35 marks and the other 15. But for the complex numbers, for example, a lot more marks might be for the second part to as that was probably answered worse than the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Sxcshoes

They'll take the sample first and decide on the majority of marks then. I don't think the media will influence the marking scheme. I don't think I did well in that exam but sadly it's not so much about my ability it's more about how other people fair against me. A competition more than an exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭tornados2111

Sxcshoes wrote: »
    They'll take the sample first and decide on the majority of marks then. I don't think the media will influence the marking scheme. I don't think I did well in that exam but sadly it's not so much about my ability it's more about how other people fair against me. A competition more than an exam.
    Will they use a sample proportion and use a 95% confidence interval? Or will they get the mean mark and standard deviation and test their hypothesis?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭fin709

Well, I've been lurking these threads since they were created so at this point, just reciting what other people have said and what my teachers have told me. And yeah I'm aiming for an A1 :) Maths is by far my favourite subject in school

Which solution guy are you referring to?

The solutions that were posted a few pages back

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Yoyoyobobobo

Does anyone have the solutions to questions 7-9? I know someone posted it a few pages back but I couldn't open the link without having to sign up to some page! Thanks

fin709 wrote: »
    The solutions that were posted a few pages back

Well I don't know the particular ones but you could do the question two ways:

A geometric series for n=4 or just do it manually..
    The reason you add 3/2 twice and all the other bounces twice is because the ball goes up and down the same distance.

theRB wrote: »
    If you just think about it, if the day length is 12.25hrs on March 21, as they get longer over the summer the average length will obviously be more than 12.25hrs. I got 15hrs15mins which I'm happy with.

That might be true (I can't actually recall what I got), but the fact is that 12.25 is NOT the lowest value all year eg. March 20 is shorter.

• Advertisement

Looks like it. One way or the other, it has to fit the bell curve. They're probably not able to give one question 35 marks and the other 15. But for the complex numbers, for example, a lot more marks might be for the second part to as that was probably answered worse than the first.

When you say it is marked on a bell curve, what percentage of students will get As, Bs etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

When you say it is marked on a bell curve, what percentage of students will get As, Bs etc?

I tried search for it there, couldn't find a link. It's different per subject. I'd say maths is roughly 9% A's, 20% B's, 40% C's 25% D's and 6% fail.

theRB wrote: »

That said, I've just evaluated the integral using Wolfram Alpha and you are right with your figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

I tried search for it there, couldn't find a link. It's different per subject. I'd say maths is roughly 9% A's, 20% B's, 40% C's 25% D's and 6% fail.

Here's where you get the stats.

A teacher told me that they allow each letter-grade to deviate by a maximum of something like three percentage points from the average of the last three years.

Average of last three years:

A - 10.4%
    B - 30.5%
    C - 35.5%
    D - 20.3%

Given that increasing numbers of students are sitting Higher (most of whom, as they would ordinarily have sat Ordinary, are likely to be amongst the weakest), I don't know whether some provision allows them to deviate more if necessary.

Article in the Irish Times that might interest people: http://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/leaving-cert-higher-maths-paper-1-easiest-on-record-1.2240566. The guy lays into the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 emma35

how many marks would you lose for forgetting units when it is specified to answer in cm^3 or whatever in the question? generally?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

emma35 wrote: »
    how many marks would you lose for forgetting units when it is specified to answer in cm^3 or whatever in the question? generally?

So far in the Project Maths marking schemes it has been limited to 1 mark and there have been a couple of occasions where it hasn't been penalised...but put them in to be sure!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

qweerty wrote: »
    Here's where you get the stats.

A teacher told me that they allow each letter-grade to deviate by a maximum of something like three percentage points from the average of the last three years.

Average of last three years:

A - 10.4%
    B - 30.5%
    C - 35.5%
    D - 20.3%

Given that increasing numbers of students are sitting Higher (most of whom, as they would ordinarily have sat Ordinary, are likely to be amongst the weakest), I don't know whether some provision allows them to deviate more if necessary.

Article in the Irish Times that might interest people: http://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/leaving-cert-higher-maths-paper-1-easiest-on-record-1.2240566. The guy lays into the course.
    That article actually hurts to read

It feels really ****ty for everyone who did HL now that everyone is like "well your paper was easy"
    I might have spent 300+ hours on maths over the last 2 years studying it so I was pretty glad with how well that paper went.

Anyway probably time to forget about it now. Good luck to everyone tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

Ignore it! People complained when the previous curriculum was introduced and probably will when this one is changed too! Your A, B, C will be just as valid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Ignore all the commentators, in the media or on here, for the moment. By all means go back and read them after the dust has settled if you wish; you're not drones and it is "relevant to your interests" as the old meme had it.

For now, though, it's nothing but a distraction.

You have one task on hand: to calmly go forth and whip the LC's spotty ass, and make it your bi-atch.

Advertisement