Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2015 LC Maths Paper 1 - Higher Level - June 5th***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Chef Tony

What did people get for the plane question about its angle from 4km away? I got 15 degrees after rounding and it seemed about right

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭eoin12345

Magnate wrote: »
    Goddamnit...

That's it I think I shall bid farewell to this thread, that was probably the question I was most confident about.

Are you sure it wasn't 8?

I got 8 too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

I got 2 degrees after rounding.

oops

• Registered Users Posts: 21 PotmBottom

Chef Tony wrote: »
    What did people get for the plane question about its angle from 4km away? I got 15 degrees after rounding and it seemed about right

I got the same, I used tan^-1(slope) and got 14.58 or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

Goddamnit...

That's it I think I shall bid farewell to this thread, that was probably the question I was most confident about.

http://prntscr.com/7dgzh0

You double each next term as it bounces up and falls back down, ie it travels the same distance twice (the first term doesn't because it was dropped from 2m!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

eoin12345 wrote: »
    I got 8 too

I think I realised what we did wrong, didn't account for the ball going down too. So that answer would be double that minus 2 I think. Oh well.

Edit: Yep, beat me to it mmpancakes! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dazzadazza

How far off were people's answers for trapezoidal and integration. I got like 35u squared for trapezoidal and like 360 for the integration part haha

dazzadazza wrote: »
    How far off were people's answers for trapezoidal and integration. I got like 35u squared for trapezoidal and like 360 for the integration part haha

I had 35 for the estimation and 36 for the real. The error I think was something like 2.6, but I could of gotten that bit wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Grey Wind

I got 35 and 36.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Peg14

de moivres??
    oh well time for me go before I realise what other huge messes I've made.Peace out.

• Advertisement

Got 35 and 36 respectively, put the 1 over 35 for the second part instead of 36 though :o

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dazzadazza

I had 35 for the estimation and 36 for the real. The error I think was something like 2.6, but I could of gotten that bit wrong

Hmm... I wonder if I'm off by a factor of 10 because I did it completely wrong or because of some silly blunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭fin709

An absolute ridiculous exam, skills were much too easy, maybe excluding part (iii) in 1 and the complex number part (ii), and the last 3 questions were outrageously difficult. Poor form from SEC, just a day after the english paper 2 proved disgracefully predictable they dissappoint again

Actually had difficulty with part 1 of the finacial maths question, despite it being waay easier than I thought it would be. I had no trouble changing the annual interest into monthly, but my mind went completely blank for changing it from monthly to annual.

That and all of question 2 were my "mind blanks". I threw down the -b formula of all things for question 2

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Was this a trigonometry question?

Am I the only one who got 88 for the angle of the plane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Nim wrote: »

Yeah, Trig played a minor role in Question 7!

Nim wrote: »

No, trig in on paper 2. It did include a bit of The Line though, which is pretty strange seeing as that is also supposed to be a paper 2 section. It was a question about a planes descent and it was plotted by a certain, long winded function.

You work out in the previous question the derivation of the function, then you use this derivation as the slope into the tan0=m1+m2/1-m1m2 using the x axis as the other slope, to get its angle from the ground at a certain point

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Bah_Humbug

cathalio11 wrote: »
    I got 2 degrees after rounding.

oops

I got 2 degrees too but..

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

Goddamnit...

It was 14. You have to realise the ball goes down AND UP.. so you multiply by 2... but take away two at the end because it drops from 2metres and doesnt go up 2 metres again.

I honestly think i might have got 300/300 for that paper, did anyone else get 16* SOUTH OF EAST for the plane question? What I did was find the slope and let it equal to tanalpha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭AnnaTorvFan

Pretty sure I got either 88 or 89.

Did anyone else get 8m as the last part for Q1?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

Very nice paper. It showed how easy they were making it in the last question. They should asked for the shortest day of the year which meant we would have used the unit circle and stuff.

The surd question i found tricky, not sure if I got the last part right, the weird function confused me as to where the turning point would be.

For the complex number, what did everyone get? I got '0' at first, but went back and did it slightly differently and I got -1/w.

I got the image wrong for the plane question, which rules out the possibility a flawless. :(

I got both too, initially i replaced 1 with w^n because it said the complex number was equal to that, and hten i rearranged the sequence and got 0. but doing it different ways got different results so i dont know.

The oil spill question was actually really nice once I realised what I had to do. Got the last part right so I'd assume everything previous was right too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18 jameshan

My angle for the plane was REALLY small, like less than 1 as far as I can remember, but the first significant figure was 2 i think

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

Did terrible, the only one I think I answered fully correctly was question 1.

Praying to god the attempt marks are in my favour. Hoping for a good paper 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 AnnaCU

I got 35 for trapezoidal as well and 36 for integration

I think the error was 2.7 or 2.8

The trapezoidal one gave me a fright for a minute, when the first half of the equation equaled zero, thankfully the double negative in the second part left me with 36, which was nice and close to 35

For the oil question, did you get dV/dt = 1273.blah ml/min?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭AnnaTorvFan

Was the oil spill (can't remember what word they used for it) a cylinder or a circle?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Bah_Humbug

I got 2 degrees, and 90 - 88 = 2 so there's something there maybe
    How did people get 15?

• Advertisement

Was the oil spill (can't remember what word they used for it) a cylinder or a circle?

I said cylinder, because they gave you a thickness, which I said was h

Advertisement