Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2015 LC Maths Paper 1 - Higher Level - June 5th***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Chef Tony

I don't get how people got 15*. You found the slope in the previous part. Considering the X-axis was the horizontal, it was just the tan of the slope, as in, the change in y over the change in x.

Since the slope of the x-axis was 0, the formula simplified down to tan inverse of your derivation of the previous question , which was something along the lines of 0.2 or 0.02

• Registered Users Posts: 25 simplyno1

AnnaCU wrote: »
    I got 41, uhh everyones answers are different

what did you get for the slope? not the degrees, the slope, in the previous Q. i got -0.02886

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

Hopefully it'll be something like that year where they just gave everybody the marks because different methods had different results? lets hope lol

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭fin709

They should have placed a message on the front saying just differentiate everything. Did anyone else fare well in the first section and then, literally not get any answer out in the last 3 questions?

simplyno1 wrote: »
    what did you get for the slope? not the degrees, the slope, in the previous Q. i got -0.02886

This is exactly what I got too.. then put in that for M1 and 0 for M2, got 16.66 degrees.

• Advertisement

simplyno1 wrote: »
    I got that for something, i dunno what. I just remember that number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

That was not a good paper for me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Kremin wrote: »
    I'll do it tonight when the paper is posted on examination.ie

:eek:

Go rest/study! :P
    Chef Tony wrote: »
    What is the actual time they put the papers up at?

Usually around now or in the next hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dazzadazza

It was 14. You have to realise the ball goes down AND UP.. so you multiply by 2... but take away two at the end because it drops from 2metres and doesnt go up 2 metres again.

I honestly think i might have got 300/300 for that paper, did anyone else get 16* SOUTH OF EAST for the plane question? What I did was find the slope and let it equal to tanalpha
    "16 South of East".. Fellow applied maths student?

fin709 wrote: »
    They should have placed a message on the front saying just differentiate everything. Did anyone else fare well in the first section and then, literally not get any answer out in the last 3 questions?

The oil question was actually surprisingly easy.... once you knew you just had to manipulate rates of changes..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 m.xvii

Papers are up on examinations.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭Doctorhopeful

I got the slope to be -.02 something, used tan0 and got 16.066*, then put 16* SOUTH OF EAST as the direction it was going in...

It was just a simple tan equation as you worked out the slope in the previous part! I got about 1.6 and rounded to 2. 16 seems WAY too steep considering it was only dropping 150m in 5000m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

This is exactly what I got too.. then put in that for M1 and 0 for M2, got 16.66 degrees.

Tan inverse of 0.02886 is 1.6 degrees though lol

• Registered Users Posts: 21 PotmBottom

Papers are up now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

I got the slope to be -.02 something, used tan0 and got 16.066*, then put 16* SOUTH OF EAST as the direction it was going in...

I think my answer was a tenth off your's. I got 1.6 or 1.7.

Doing it now, inverse tan(.0288) is 1.65. By Tan0, is that what you meant?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dazzadazza

For the oil question, did you get dV/dt = 1273.blah ml/min?

I got 12732.39545 ... Using my equations from that part I was able to prove the next part correctly so I think it might be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Bah_Humbug

People getting 16 must have used 0.288 by accident instead of 0.0288, because that works out as 2

thats abit more re assuring but our degrees answers are completely different..

The original equation was 0.0024x^3 + 0.09x^2 +cx +d, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 AnnaCU

Did anyone else have trouble with Q2? It seems really easy but I could not figure out how to do it :P

AnnaCU wrote: »
    Did anyone else have trouble with Q2? It seems really easy but I could not figure out how to do it :P

Long division was key

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭Doctorhopeful

Bah_Humbug wrote: »
    People getting 16 must have used 0.288 by accident instead of 0.0288, because that works out as 2

Yup tan-1 (0.288) gives 16.06 which is the number kremin is quoting

Maybe I multipled the angle by 10 by accident? I'll try it,, You know what, I think i must have put .288 instead of .0288?

How did everyone do with forming an image with the plane? I was quite confused, hadn't studied images for a very long time! Ended up doing something that I knew was wrong. Wasn't bothered do it again because of the lack of space and no confirmed workings page (was afraid it was for the examiner!). Could have tried mess with midpoints and distances but wasn't bothered lol.

thats abit more re assuring but our degrees answers are completely different..

The original equation was 0.0024x^3 + 0.09x^2 +cx +d, right?

How did everyone do with forming an image with the plane? I was quite confused, hadn't studied images for a very long time! Ended up doing something that I knew was wrong. Wasn't bothered do it again because of the lack of space and no confirmed workings page (was afraid it was for the examiner!). Could have tried mess with midpoints and distances but wasn't bothered lol.

I just wrote what you have to do to get from -x-5 or whatever to the point of inflextion and then added it to the point of inflection, we never did that... so hopefully a few attempt marks.

Maybe I multipled the angle by 10 by accident? I'll try it,, You know what, I think i must have put .288 instead of .0288?

Looks like 299/300 for you!

Are there gold medals awarded for maths for a flawless result or is that just Applied Maths and Accounting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

dazzadazza wrote: »
    I got 12732.39545 ... Using my equations from that part I was able to prove the next part correctly so I think it might be right.

Here is my solution: http://prntscr.com/7dhn6y

Let me know if I messed up

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭theRB

I just wrote what you have to do to get from -x-5 or whatever to the point of inflextion and then added it to the point of inflection, we never did that... so hopefully a few attempt marks.

That's what you're meant to do. The answer was (x,y)

Pretty sure the answer is 2 degrees. I have no idea where i went wrong.. got the right answer for the slope but when i mustve used the formula wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 sdio

Anyone else get (x,y) for the image?

Advertisement