Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2015 LC Maths Paper 1 - Higher Level - June 5th***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

Aoife37 wrote: »
    Hi can somebody help with question 5? My turning point was something like (-23/4, -25/4)
    Also what were the answers people got for the first few sections of question 9? Thanks

I got that too :)

Can't remember my answer for the 1st part of Q9, for the second part I got thw 26th of April (35.8 days iirc)

I got 17 hours for the longest day and don't remember the average value question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

Guys you're panicking me.... How did you find it easy oh my god

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

I got that too :)

Can't remember my answer for the 1st part of Q9, for the second part I got thw 26th of April (35.8 days iirc)

I got 17 hours for the longest day and don't remember the average value question

Yes I got 17 for the longest day, i think the average was 15.something hours?

Just to clarify one final time, is Theorem 11, 12 and 13 THE ONLY ones they can ask us to prove now?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Guys you're panicking me.... How did you find it easy oh my god

Don't feel bad. I don't think everyone found it easy, opinions seem to range from easy to doable and very difficult!

OL on the other hand, I have yet to read a post there that didn't say it was completely above OL standard.
    Kremin wrote: »
    Just to clarify one final time, is Theorem 11, 12 and 13 THE ONLY ones they can ask us to prove now?

Looks like you just nominated yourself to be the Paper 2 threadstarter :)

Nim wrote: »
    Don't feel bad. I don't think everyone found it easy, opinions seem to range from easy to doable and very difficult!

OL on the other hand, I have yet to read a post there that didn't say it was completely above OL standard.

Looks like you just nominated yourself to be the Paper 2 threadstarter :)

TOO MUCH PRESSURE TOO MUCH PRESSURE TOO MUCH PRESSURE.

On the subject of Pressure, I'm sad a good auld logs question didn't appear, the exponential ones...
    (they sometimes do the whole atmospheric pressure story)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95773842#post95773842 ok i bit the bullet and just did it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

Like I couldn't do question 7-9 at all
    I attempted everything but got the wrong answers

Like I couldn't do question 7-9 at all
    I attempted everything but got the wrong answers
    Remember that relevant attempts are worth a lot of marks and small blunders won't cost you many marks.

And looks like a lot of people found the long questions difficult. They'll take that into account when they create the marking scheme.

Just relax, get some rest and prepare for your other exams :)

Found a piece of paper and briskly did it out comparing it to another summation.

This explains why I think the 'n' in the sum formula is n, rather than n-1

Thus, I let a equal 1, and r equal w and got -1/w

-1/w
    = -w^n/w
    =-w^n-1....

I give up this stuff will be the end of me, I don't want to know the answer... I like believing I still got over 280 marks D=

Remember that relevant attempts are worth a lot of marks and small blunders won't cost you many marks.

That's what I kept telling everyone and someone I know still came out and said he couldn't even attempt question 8 -_-

• Registered Users Posts: 24 GaryL0904

****ing hell lads, i feel sick to my stomach. Might have just barely passed it. Couldnt do any part (c)'s from the short questions and I went and used the f**king wrong month for the longest day in galway (july 21st instead of june). I was happy with it until i was told my obvious blunder. Absolutely raging.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

GaryL0904 wrote: »
    ****ing hell lads, i feel sick to my stomach. Might have just barely passed it. Couldnt do any part (c)'s from the short questions and I went and used the f**king wrong month for the longest day in galway (july 21st instead of june). I was happy with it until i was told my obvious blunder. Absolutely raging.

It asked for the length of the longest day not the date, so you'll be fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭fin709

How much marks would you say i lost after using 119 months intead of 120 months in the amortisation formula?

Magnate wrote: »
    It asked for the length of the longest day not the date, so you'll be fine :)

Yeah I think giving a date for the questions was above and beyond, the fact in the first part they said (76 days) implies they thought some people wouldn't know how many days each month had, so it seems unlikely marks will go to finding the date, especially since no math involved in that.. finding the number of days will be grand.

fin709 wrote: »
    How much marks would you say i lost after using 119 months intead of 120 months in the amortisation formula?

very few, 3 at most? if that was the only mistake..

Yeah I think giving a date for the questions was above and beyond, the fact in the first part they said (76 days) implies they thought some people wouldn't know how many days each month had, so it seems unlikely marks will go to finding the date, especially since no math involved in that.. finding the number of days will be grand.

You'd need to give the length of it though, number of days alone might be dodgy.

pcrBJuv.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

-1/w
    = -w^n/w
    =-w^n-1....

I give up this stuff will be the end of me, I don't want to know the answer... I like believing I still got over 280 marks D=

Yeah I just contradicting myself with that post lol. It seems to me that it is '0'. Just the last 50 times I did a question and got 0 it was wrong.

Did everyone remember to write down their calculator make and model?

If not, don't panic, just make sure to write it down in Paper 2.

Magnate wrote: »
    You'd need to give the length of it though, number of days alone might be dodgy.

pcrBJuv.png

That's not the part I was talking about.. uh
    Find a date on which the length of the day in Galway is approximately 15 hours.

part b is what im talking about

That's not the part I was talking about.. uh
    Find a date on which the length of the day in Galway is approximately 15 hours.

part b is what im talking about

Oh right, I was just quoting GaryL0904 on it. :P

Nevermind, my brain is too fried to read properly haha.

Did everyone remember to write down their calculator make and model?

If not, don't panic, just make sure to write it down in Paper 2.

There actually wasn't a space for it on the maths exam, I checked for it.
    Ok nvm i didnt check hard enough apparently, second page -____-

im gonna go sleep for the weekend, today has destroyed me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

will someone stick up the answers for all B questions, the fact i didnt have a clue what i was doing and still dont is driving me to the wall. Im usually good at maths but the overload of calculus just got to me, was praying for some proofs/induction/pure algebra questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Katezz

Did you have to use amortisation formula?
    Would a present value geometric series be correct also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

Katezz wrote: »
    Did you have to use amortisation formula?
    Would a present value geometric series be correct also?

Amortisation formula is derived from that, so it's possible yeah. The answer is 818 :)

i think we got lucky with the financial maths, could have been much harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Codswapple

For the surd question, did we have to check i answers. I did check them and they both turned out to be true but i didnt write it on the script for some reason! So was it necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭fin709

Codswapple wrote: »
    For the surd question, did we have to check i answers. I did check them and they both turned out to be true but i didnt write it on the script for some reason! So was it necessary

Nah we didnt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

Do you know if you attempted a question twice

and one of them is right but the other one is wrong, how does that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pa limerick

Everyone's saying they found it easy, I found most of it tough especially the long questions, I managed to do as much as I can do im being hopefull that I did enough to pass! Here's hoping I can make it Up on p2!

Everyone's saying they found it easy, I found most of it tough especially the long questions, I managed to do as much as I can do im being hopefull that I did enough to pass! Here's hoping I can make it Up on p2!

im the same, Section A was nice, the last part of q1 i did 16 instead of 14. The second part of the complex numbers with the W blew my mind. Percentage error and part C of the last question is all i got wrong i think.

Section B however, crazy hard imo. Never integrated a function like that. Never differentiated a function like that, One of my attemps of differentiating the
    4.75sin(2pi/365)(T) was mad, so i thought right, product rule grand.
    So U is 4.75 and V is sin(---) but then dv/dx involved another prouct rule where U = 2pi/654 and V was t so then U required another quotent rule which at this point i just gave up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Katezz

I found it hard as well.. Especially the last 3 questions. There was way too much calculus on it.I was hoping for a proof by induction question :/

Advertisement