Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2015 LC Maths Paper 1 - Ordinary Level - June 5th***

• 05-06-2015 4:20pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭

For post P1 discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

Definitely the hardest paper I've ever seen for OL maths, very strange questions.
    I amn't really sure how I did but oh well t'is my only ordinary level subject anyways so long as I pass :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

What the actual hell was that???? Never seen such strange questions. Lots of P2 stuff too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

What the hell was that paper??? Q6 & Q7 were impossibly hard

• Registered Users Posts: 6 eoinythegod

RIP to my Leaving Cert if Paper 2 is as hard as that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

I thought it was grand...and everyone said it was extremely hard. Weird...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭TheSunderz

ok guys I dropped down from higher level a month ago and wow that was hard in parts. Yes in all the sample papers and examination papers I done i have never seen one that hard. Even though i got the complex number question I found it very hard. The sequences and series was also extremely hard defo higher level.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jimmy420

I still did pretty good but that was the hardest paper 1 in the last few years. Hopefully we get a nice Paper 2.

no the paper was doable yes I believe I did well but I feel it would have been alot harder for people who were in pass all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭blobcat

That was horrendous. Some things I didn't even know how to begin to attempt, and paper one is usually the easier paper for me. Terrified of failing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭gracew

In absolute shock they will definitely have to over look that paper! Mix of paper 2, I took the Irish version and there was also a few spelling mistakes. There was no step by step into the questions like there usually is, never seen a past paper or sample paper as difficult like that before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Rozada

Horrible paper, can anyone tell me where differentiation was on the paper??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭AulBiddy

Dropping from higher to ordinary this was an exceptionally difficult paper, I didn't find it too bad but it would be very difficult for someone who struggles at OL. Only question that truly caught me out was the last question 9b - couldn't figure it out at all

What did people get for the last question ? something like 50010km ? also did people use the trapezoidal rule to get the area of the parallelogram or whatever it was called ?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Famoso

We're all gunna be repeating brahs

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭blobcat

Rozada wrote: »

I think you had to differentiate to get the maximum profit in the oil question

• Registered Users Posts: 26 DottiSka

Was that even Ordinary?
    Did they swap our exams with Higher Level?
    Nothing could have prepared me for that exam. I'm not the only one too.
    I recall attempting a good few questions that were completely bizarre to be on a Paper 1. I'm really disappointed and fustrated about this, I need a B in Maths.

Rozada wrote:

The profit question, question 8 I believe?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 electromix

One word: Shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Jamies15

So if all results are down on the average for ordinary maths this year will everybody be pushed up?

Yes, I am already this desperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 leavingcert15

Couldn't do the last one and complex numbers and some of the 70 mark series question. I used the trapezoidal rule as well I got 18cm. Did you get 0.8 and 5.2 for 2 values for x.

• Advertisement

blobcat wrote: »
    I think you had to differentiate to get the maximum profit in the oil question

The word 'differentiate' was never mentioned nor dx over dy, instead they asked you using Calculus to solve the question which involves differentiation. The question purposely tried to catch you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sushua

That was a disgrace of a paper, all teachers agreed. I 100% failed that and paper 1 is my better paper.. if you maths it doesn't mean you have to repeat does it?

Did you get 0.8 and 5.2 for 2 values for x.

I feel so glad knowing I at least got the same answer as someone else. I had to use the Quadratic formula for that question and I got the same answer as you.

TheSunderz wrote:
    What did people get for the last question ? something like 50010km ? also did people use the trapezoidal rule to get the area of the parallelogram or whatever it was called ?

Yes, it came out a very weird shape for me though???

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Famoso

Wait, the trapezoidal rule was on that?! What question?

Couldn't do the last one and complex numbers and some of the 70 mark series question. I used the trapezoidal rule as well I got 18cm. Did you get 0.8 and 5.2 for 2 values for x.

yeh got all the same answers yeh full marks there, last one worked out at 50010km around that and you had to make the triangle and use cosine or sine rule i forget but i got 60 degrees which looks right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

In the log tables book under Calculus they had something about Dx so thats the only way I knew how to differentiate.

I couldn't understand that very last question, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jimmy420

TheSunderz wrote: »

The last one was 50,000km.

Also, I didn't use trapezoidal rule. I used A + B divided 2 and all of it multiplied by h. I used that one because trapezoidal rule gives an estimated area and it didn't ask for an estimated area :C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 ko3p

DottiSka wrote: »
    I feel so glad knowing I at least got the same answer as someone else. I had to use the Quadratic formula for that question and I got the same answer as you.

The quadratic formula was the only way of doing it, would be nearly impossible to factor it. I also got the same answers btw.

• Advertisement

Famoso wrote: »
    Wait, the trapezoidal rule was on that?! What question?

that was on the function question, with the points AB0C

Advertisement