Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2015 LC Maths Paper 1 - Ordinary Level - June 5th***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ShaunDaSheep

TheSunderz wrote: »
    Lets hold up for a sec, did anyone else think that sequences and series question was like the higher level ones cause wow that was hard. Other than that question im very very happy.

the last three questions were impossible, the rest was fine though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

TheSunderz wrote: »
    Lets hold up for a sec, did anyone else think that sequences and series question was like the higher level ones cause wow that was hard. Other than that question im very very happy.

I thought it would be lovely when I was drawing my little triangles and shading them like the freakin Mona Lisa and then I got to the other questions. It was two patterns inside another pattern?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bmea

One of the hardest maths papers I've ever done and I dropped down a couple of months ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 ko3p

Might be wrong here, but I was just skimming through the sequences and series chapter in the project maths book and I don't see any mention of a "quadratic sequence". Was any one else a bit lost when doing this question?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

Where was the prsi the usc the income tax :(:( And what on earth was the complex numbers?!? Very disappointed..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭TheSunderz

I thought it would be lovely when I was drawing my little triangles and shading them like the freakin Mona Lisa and then I got to the other questions. It was two patterns inside another pattern?

meh think it was something like that i only got half it and was like **** this and moved onto the other ones. I feel i did well other than that really and the fact the whole of boards,twitter and facebook is erupting over it will probalbly bring my grade up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 donmcg

Thought the paper was tough, I could confidently get at least a soild B1 in majority of the paper ones ever asked for project Maths before this paper. If any teachers are on this, do ye think that the paper will be mark easily enough since there is uproar over it? My maths teacher said it's the hardest ordinary level paper he has seen in the last 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Stooped

My exam was pure tragic.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭TheSunderz

Stooped wrote: »
    My exam was pure tragic.

lads its over nothing we can do about it lets just hope paper 2 is easier and doesnt f**k us up aswel.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭DaraDali

nathan99 wrote: »
    You just had to recognise it was a isosceles triangle which meant the angle was 60.

On another note did any on boards successfully derive the formulas for Q7 ln sequences and series?
    The problem was that it was a quadratic sequence but the formulas in the log tables were only for arithmetic sequences?

You are suppose to learn the formula for the quadratic sequence its is an^2+bn+c and a is equal to half of the second difference then you use simultaneous equations to get b and c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

whats errbody studying for paper 2? Its normally my nightmare paper Id really appreciate help :/

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Rozada

I've been doing pass maths since 2nd year and it's absolutely ridiculous that they would expect the standard of that paper, barely any easy mark questions like there usually is :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Marcus134

I'm literally gonna start a civil war if I fail maths

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Tet2015

I too was in higher maths, when I came down to ordinary after mocks. I thought maths would be a breeze, especially after looking at every single past paper. This years paper was very unexpected. Hopefully something happens in SEC where they redo the paper to make it easier again / raise everyone's grades by 15% :S

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kat97

Tet2015 wrote: »
    I too was in higher maths, when I came down to ordinary after mocks. I thought maths would be a breeze, especially after looking at every single past paper. This years paper was very unexpected. Hopefully something happens in SEC where they redo the paper to make it easier again / raise everyone's grades by 15% :S

Exact same. I was in higher until the mocks. This paper was so much harder than the past papers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭AulBiddy

nathan99 wrote:
    You just had to recognise it was a isosceles triangle which meant the angle was 60.

Hold on, do you mean equilateral ? Because if its isosceles the bottom two angles are equal. The other angles could be anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DanielG155

I need a B3 in OL Maths to get my course in CIT, I got an A2 in my Pres. After today, although I believe I passed that Paper, I doubt i'll be getting that B3..

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jgirl18

I actually could not believe when I saw the complex number and sequences questions. What the hell. I went over the papers so much but nothing could even slightly prepare you for that. Some questions were easy. What the hell was the sequences and series question about, had no clue. Very unfair considering the questions they have in past exam papers. They really did crucify us. I'm bricking it for paper 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Gee

DanielG155 wrote: »
    I need a B3 in OL Maths to get my course in CIT, I got an A2 in my Pres. After today, although I believe I passed that Paper, I doubt i'll be getting that B3..

As far as I'm aware, in CIT if you get the points for your course but dont get the maths grade, they allow you to sit a maths exam in late august or something which will allow you entry. I think this is just a CIT thing

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Scirpt

Gee wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware, in CIT if you get the points for your course but dont get the maths grade, they allow you to sit a maths exam in late august or something which will allow you entry. I think this is just a CIT thing
    It's the same for UL too, which it looks like I'm going to have to rely on after that exam. You only get round two offers however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭nathan99

AulBiddy wrote: »
    Hold on, do you mean equilateral ? Because if its isosceles the bottom two angles are equal. The other angles could be anything.

Yeah sorry thats what i meant

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Rainbow97

I got Tn = (n+1)squared for the sequences/triangles. Got c =1 for the black triangles formula..
    Did anyone get the same?

My motto of the day was "If you can't blow them away with your brilliance, baffle them with your bullsh*t"

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Gee

Rainbow97 wrote: »
    I got Tn = (n+1)squared for the sequences/triangles. Got c =1 for the black triangles formula..
    Did anyone get the same?

My motto of the day was "If you can't blow them away with your brilliance, baffle them with your bullsh*t"

I got both of those aswell, thats a relief!

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

blobcat wrote: »
    That was horrendous. Some things I didn't even know how to begin to attempt, and paper one is usually the easier paper for me. Terrified of failing now.

I feel exactly the same, I am raging at the paper, horribly difficult...cram like mad for paper 2 now I guess and neglect all of my HL subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ADowling

Unbelievably hard paper, paper 1 is usually the easier of the two for me, the questions seemed to be structured differently than in the past papers and sample papers, some of the questions I didn't even know how to attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Rainbow97

Gee wrote: »
    I got both of those aswell, thats a relief!
    Phew!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sheep1996

Couldn't do the last one and complex numbers and some of the 70 mark series question. I used the trapezoidal rule as well I got 18cm. Did you get 0.8 and 5.2 for 2 values for x.
    ya i got those answers too so it must be right maybe unless were bothe wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭AulBiddy

Rainbow97 wrote:
    I got Tn = (n+1)squared for the sequences/triangles. Got c =1 for the black triangles formula.. Did anyone get the same?

Got the same for the black triangles :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ecoste

This is how I did the triangle question, and found out the formulas. At first I tried a ton of random formulas, but I couldn't get it right.

So, I then notice that they give a formula for the amount of black triangles.

Black: 1/2n^2 + 3/2n + c. I figured out that c was one.

Alright, then I simplified it to (n^2+3n+1)/2.

So, how do you get the formula for white triangles and white triangles?

I noticed that the amount of white triangles is the amount of black triangles in the previous triangle. As in, if triangle 2 has 10 blacks, triangle 3 will have 10 whites. That must mean, the amount of white triangles in the Nth triangle is the amount of black triangles in the previous triangle.

So, hence the white formula: [(n-1)^2+3(n-1)+1]/2. I also simplified that, but now I don't remember the correct simplification.

This must mean that the amount of total triangles is the white formula + the black formula. [(n-1)^2+3(n-1)+1]/2 + (n^2+3n+1)/2. I also simplified that.

This is how I got the formulas, by the actual information that they gave me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kat97

Rainbow97 wrote: »
    Did anyone get the same?

Phew got that too!

Advertisement