Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2015 LC Maths Paper 1 - Ordinary Level - June 5th***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ecoste

Oh, and this is why the paper might've been more challenging thejournal.ie/ordinary-level-maths-1504371-Jun2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sheep1996

ko3p wrote: »
    Might be wrong here, but I was just skimming through the sequences and series chapter in the project maths book and I don't see any mention of a "quadratic sequence". Was any one else a bit lost when doing this question?

i dont know if its in the pass books but its in the honours book (i dropped down a month ago) its the second difference of the sequence so you know the way you find the distance of the pattern and then find the distance of the second pattern!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

The paper is up online...

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Chicharito11

6 years down the drain over that disgrace of a paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 KatieGhomie

The paper is up online...

what do u mean it's online paper two ? you're messing yeah?

Also I'm getting kinda worried after reading this as I didn't find it very very bad like people are saying here,don't get me wrong I am v bad at maths I in no way found it easy thought complex numbers q was crazy n other q's etc but I was happy enough because I need a c I am just hoping I did okay and hopefully didn't do a way worse than I am thinking also because the more I hear about parts I did wrong etc I am questioning did I do okay at all.I apologize for my little rant I am just very scared.

Also what is everyone studying specifically for paper two ?Hopefully it's a nice paper

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

what do u mean it's online paper two ? you're messing yeah?

I think he/she was talking about Paper 1 :p

Orite Thanks I just joined boards.ie today after years of looking at posts.

Any ideas of what's important for paper two ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jgirl18

Apparently the hypothesis testing is a definite cause its only new this year but who knows if they decided to be a-holes about paper 1 then it would be too nice of them to give that. It's all about the mixing of the topics so it could be another crazy question. I seriously hope they mark that paper nicely because it was so unfair.

Looks like everyone found it very difficult. Don't worry, they always adjust the marking scheme accordingly. I doubt the grades distribution would change at all from last year, to be honest.

Just don't let it get to you. Get some well deserved rest, carry on with paper 2 and the rest of your exams.

Go onto Irish times education website it's giving out about the ordinary level maths lc paper I would post link but because I am a new user it won't allow me to

Mod edit: http://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/leaving-cert-maths-fury-at-ordinary-level-paper-1.2239261

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 leavingcert15

for hypothesis testing is it just margin of error and p-hat or is there more?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ShaunDaSheep

It baffles me as to why HL got such an easy paper. Why bother giving 25 points if they are doing an easy paper. The way it looks people in OL would have managed a HL paper much better if they were in a HL class. Just annoying that this will effect us all in august when we are competing against the HL students who will get good grades for an easy paper + their extra 25 points - madness and im just upset. The SEC really has no clue

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Ladyystardust

Came out of the exam thinking it was okay enough for a weaker OL student but after talking to friends and reading boards not too sure anymore. Read over the exam on the sec website. I think o thought it was okay cause I attempted everything..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

It baffles me as to why HL got such an easy paper. Why bother giving 25 points if they are doing an easy paper. The way it looks people in OL would have managed a HL paper much better if they were in a HL class. Just annoying that this will effect us all in august when we are competing against the HL students who will get good grades for an easy paper + their extra 25 points - madness and im just upset. The SEC really has no clue

Agreed they have made an absolute mess of the whole thing. The extra points mean that huge numbers of students are taking the exam that are really not able. To avoid huge numbers failing they are adjusting the marking schemes. This year they seem to be bypassing that process by dumbing down the paper.

On the other side of it students who struggle at Maths and have decided to opt for Ordinary are being punished twice. They start 25 points behind AND are met with a tricky paper like this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 DT1

Absolutely furious. I studied so much for this exam. I neglected all the other subjects just to get a C in maths. After doing that paper, I'd say I'd be lucky to get a D3. Seriously. What was that? I've never seen those questions before. Good bye course. Looks like I'm going to have to repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 antifun

Yeah, I'm looking at higher level right now and wondering why I didn't do it. Welp... Revolt!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 chefvortivask

As frustrating as the paper was the best thing we can do now is focus and be prepared for Paper 2 on Monday. The vast majority of people seem to have been surprised by what came up so really it's impossible to tell how we did as marking schemes will have to be adjusted and attempt marks will play a huge factor in your overall score! Try not to stress out, lets get these last 2 weeks out of the way and hope for the best come August!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ShaunDaSheep

Another thing that really angers me is the way they have made this Project Maths so we can associate maths more into practical situation in real life yet they leave out FINANCIAL MATHS the one god damn thing on the course EVERYONE should know as we ALL have to deal with it. SEC really need to think about the **** they have caused the young people of Ireland today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭maude6868

Our class had an extra hour of Maths every Friday all year. I've paid out a small fortune in Maths grinds. I'm not counting Maths but it's an entry requirement. So now I don't get my course even if I have the points, I don't get the extra 25 points and I don't get the extra points I would have had with a Higher Level result. I could have tackled that Higher Level paper. Ordinary Level Maths are punished in so many ways. I could have spent that extra hr every week on Irish and get an A in it and the points too. I'm so livid at the whole systems unfairness.

Came out of the exam thinking it was okay enough for a weaker OL student but after talking to friends and reading boards not too sure anymore. Read over the exam on the sec website. I think o thought it was okay cause I attempted everything..

Hi I am on a similar boat to you,I would be weak at maths and like I AM aiming for a C.Yes I found it hard but I thought it was okay ,now I am questioning whether I did worse than I originally thought.Like I know I didn't do brilliant but I found it okay and tried to aqttempt the very tricky ones so I just hope....
    As frustrating as the paper was the best thing we can do now is focus and be prepared for Paper 2 on Monday. The vast majority of people seem to have been surprised by what came up so really it's impossible to tell how we did as marking schemes will have to be adjusted and attempt marks will play a huge factor in your overall score! Try not to stress out, lets get these last 2 weeks out of the way and hope for the best come August!

I totally agree,any ideas for paper two?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 jgirl18

Another frustrating thing is if you were good at paper one this paper did not allow you to showcase that. So unfair. I think we could all agree if we were handed a similar paper to last year none of us would be on here complaining. Desperate attempt by sec to create a challenging paper one.

Hi I am on a similar boat to you,I would be weak at maths and like I AM aiming for a C.Yes I found it hard but I thought it was okay ,now I am questioning whether I did worse than I originally thought.Like I know I didn't do brilliant but I found it okay and tried to aqttempt the very tricky ones so I just hope....

I was also aim for a C. I'm just hoping they change the marking scheme and give good points for attempt marks! Good luck with paper two!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 AllyBushell

I was in higher and decided to drop today, that was an incredibly easy paper, or did I just not realise I did horribly? Oh god, I was very confident and after seeing everyone say it was difficult I am starting to have second thoughts :s

I was also aim for a C. I'm just hoping they change the marking scheme and give good points for attempt marks! Good luck with paper two!

Thanks very much you too.If we can get a C, then we shall be happy.Yeah hopefully they will mark things a bit easier now that it seems to have been a tough paper.I've been over analysing paper one so much I haven't started revising paper two..any ideas where to start ?..Was thinking of just looking at trigonometry for tnite (just worried about paper two because with maths they can complicate things so easily just to mess with our brains).

Lets just hope paper two is nice now :D:) Good luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Meabhbren

gracew wrote: »
    How did people get 50,000km in the last question?
    I really don't know if I'm right, this is what I did and I'm seeing the same answer come up a lot on this.

Cathal had originally saved €2,500 more than Amanda. You needed to find the distance where he loses €2500. Her car was 50% more efficient. If I did get the right answer it was by pure luck- first thing that came into my head was if he spends €7500 she will spend €5000, he would be down €2500, making them even. Then you just needed to find how many km it would take to get to this number. I did this buy finding out how much each one spent per km and the I came up with 50,000km. In the end the both end up paying €30,000. Again, I could be wrong but that's what I'm seeing on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

I'm smarting over this bloody paper :( why did I bother dropping down at all, I'd be just as nervous as I am now after doing the higher exam- but at least I'd have the prospect of 25 points!

Gotta learn some **** about circles and triangles now so I can get to college

Thanks very much you too.If we can get a C, then we shall be happy.Yeah hopefully they will mark things a bit easier now that it seems to have been a tough paper.I've been over analysing paper one so much I haven't started revising paper two..any ideas where to start ?..Was thinking of just looking at trigonometry for tnite (just worried about paper two because with maths they can complicate things so easily just to mess with our brains).

Lets just hope paper two is nice now :D:) Good luck with it :)

I think trig is usually a good part of paper two! Just hope the don't put in any dodge questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭FameHungry

I'm sorry but was the sole purpose of this paper just to f*ck us over? Because we didn't do honours?
    It's a joke that if someone actually gets an A1 in this impossible paper, it's only worth 60 points. Yet if someone gets a D1 in honours maths (which many found doable today), they get 80 points?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Rainbow97

the paper was too difficult and confusing, the graphs were very time-consuming to read! I was capable of doing Higher Level, never failed a class test.. The SEC screwed up. Points are too big an issue to go messing with. offering 25 extra for a paper that my friends found 'lovely' is terrible.

why not abolish points altogether.. have IQ tests instead if they can't make fair papers

Advertisement