Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2015 LC Maths Paper 1 - Ordinary Level - June 5th***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Rainbow97

It's a joke that if someone actually gets an A1 in this impossible paper, it's only worth 60 points. Yet if someone gets a D1 in honours maths (which many found doable today), they get 80 points?[/QUOTE]

here here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭OriginV

I really do hope paper 2 is not like how paper 1 was it was absolutely horrible even the complex numbers question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

Looking at the HL paper I could do more of the questions accurately than I could do on the OL paper. This coming from a person who got a C in HL maths in the JC.
    It's a joke especially for many people in my class who were very weak at maths- the thought that they failed one of the papers because it was unnaturally difficult is really annoying.
    If Paper 2 isn't easy I imagine all hell will break loose and come August there will be reports in the media of:
    "10% (as usual) of Ordinary Level maths students failing the paper" and only 2% of Higher Level students fail showing the success of Project Maths in the Leaving Cert".
    They should scrap the extra 25 points (or at least reduce it to 10 or so) to prevent further point inflation and making higher level maths classes more suited to students who are actually interested in maths- not those who want to scrape a D3.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ShaunDaSheep

Since the Paper 2 is already printed and determined it will be interesting to see if the SEC are going to F**K ordinary level students up for the second paper too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭OriginV

Since the Paper 2 is already printed and determined it will be interesting to see if the SEC are going to F**K ordinary level students up for the second paper too.
    And most likely they will F**K us for paper 2! I really do not want to go back in this time next year to repeat maths!

• Advertisement

OriginV wrote: »
    And most likely they will F**K us for paper 2! I really do not want to go back in this time next year to repeat maths!

Same here! SEC are a joke and have no scruples when it comes to ****ing over the OL students

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Have to say, just had a look at the papers and I had to read OL more than I had to read the HL (I'm a maths teacher). Horrible paper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭AulBiddy

Its incredibly unfair that your academic ability is measured on a mandatory subject, of which many struggle with. If you ask any higher level leaving cert student why they're in it, the majority say "the extra 25 points!" Not for their academic ability but simply that they need these points to get into courses. In my year 40 out of 60 do OL maths, 10 do higher and 10 do foundation. I'd say this is a somewhat similar scale in many schools in Ireland. Evidently there is huge huge competition against the "extra 25" that the majority of ordinary level students cannot contend with. I am not saying don't reward the higher level, they have the right to be commended for their efforts but it is hugely unfair to those who do not have an aptitude for maths.
    Also, that article sickens me. To call ordinary level students "the weakest of the weak" is extremely condescending. Over 30,000 students are the weakest of the weak? I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

Same here! SEC are a joke and have no scruples when it comes to ****ing over the OL students

Guys just keep in mind they'll just adjust the marking scheme accordingly, give a lot of marks for any attempt at all etc.

They can't fail you all and they're not gonna increase from a 2% fail rate to 10% either, it will look very bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Amy0711

TheSunderz wrote: »
    think the dollar if i can remember what i put down was worth like 0.67 pounds something like that ? anyone remember ? never seen questions phrased or layed out that strangely.

i didn't get it in the exam but i took home an extra paper and you are 100% right, it works out at .6657 or something and when rounded it works at 67p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 username 2212

Can someone post up a link to the paper or where can i find it please?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 leavingcert15

Where can we find the higher level paper has anyone a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭gracew

Everything is on examinations

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Scirpt

For 8d (i) and (ii) where it said you need to use calculus to find the answer, how many marks would you lose if you found it using another method (still the right answer)?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Jdoe

All the exams that have been on are on examinations.ie, I went onto it by the off chance and was surprised they were up so quick !

I got an A1 in christmas exams, a B1 in mocks both without studying. Now I'm lucky to have even passed that today and I studied so much for it? If I don't get at least a C3 I won't have my entry requirements for my desired course but anyone who did higher and got a D3 with get in no problem along with their extra 25 points for smiling all the way through their exam today!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 DesuDesuChan

Guys.
    Guys.
    Guys.
    WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?
    Seriously started crying.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Scirpt

Also does anyone know the type of curve it was in the final question? Please.

Why was this not covered on RTE news tonight. It really should have been to raise the awareness!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

gracew wrote: »
    I got an A1 in christmas exams, a B1 in mocks both without studying. Now I'm lucky to have even passed that today and I studied so much for it? If I don't get at least a C3 I won't have my entry requirements for my desired course but anyone who did higher and got a D3 with get in no problem along with their extra 25 points for smiling all the way through their exam today!

If you got a C3 on ordinary it's highly unlikely you would get a D3 on higher honestly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 jgirl18

I think it was exponential. Correct me if I'm wrong. Will be one of the only few questions I would have gotten right.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kat97

Also, that article sickens me. To call ordinary level students "the weakest of the weak" is extremely condescending. Over 30,000 students are the weakest of the weak? I don't think so.

So true! I would class myself as average at maths. Would really struggle with higher but can do ordinary.(or so I thought)

I am fuming at this paper. In fact the more I think about it the more fukcing annoyed I get. It was unfair. I had a look at the HL paper and thought that there was a very slim difference.

Not everyone is good at maths . It just dosnt click with some people.

I was banking on Paper 1 because I despise shapes and what do they do? Put trig. on a complex no. question. Why!?

No tax question either. I did 2013,2012 and 2014 as practice and I could do them. I think this is the hardest it's ever been.

angry-meme-wallpaper-23067-24073-hd-wallpapers.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Amy0711

AulBiddy wrote: »
    Its incredibly unfair that your academic ability is measured on a mandatory subject, of which many struggle with. If you ask any higher level leaving cert student why they're in it, the majority say "the extra 25 points!" Not for their academic ability but simply that they need these points to get into courses. In my year 40 out of 60 do OL maths, 10 do higher and 10 do foundation. I'd say this is a somewhat similar scale in many schools in Ireland. Evidently there is huge huge competition against the "extra 25" that the majority of ordinary level students cannot contend with. I am not saying don't reward the higher level, they have the right to be commended for their efforts but it is hugely unfair to those who do not have an aptitude for maths.

Very well said! Could not have put it better myself!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

I got like £1.50 for the last part in Q1

I'm guessing I f****d up.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Mapaputsi

I've been helping my brother with this course for the last year or two (I did engineering in college, got an A1 in higher maths in 2007, so feel pretty competent).

I was appalled with this paper, there is no way you could expect the weaker students to be achieving a reasonable mark. It was twice as difficult as the sample papers and recent papers, and the way the questions were phrased was ridiculous.

The silver lining for anyone who feels like they messed it up is to add 10, maybe 15% to what they think they got on this paper, because that is how it will have to be marked. I can't see how anyone, even students comfortable with the higher level syllabus, would get an A on this paper.

If you got a C3 on ordinary it's highly unlikely you would get a D3 on higher honestly

Yeah I know I'm not saying I could have gotten a D3 on higher it's just that higher levels basically got it handed to them on a plate today along with those extra 25 points, while we're here struggling as it is in ordinary and they hand us that paper and maximum points we can get is 60?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 username 2212

The sequences and series question is pretty much a copy of last years higher level question actually but still its not too hard a question

• Registered Users Posts: 21 antifun

While doing the last question, I noticed a mistake in the grammar. At first, I thought the car she bought was named Cathal because they missed a comma.

"On the day that Amanda bought her car Cathal also bought a new car."

I mean, it doesn't really matter. But come on, do they even proofread their ****?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

I got like £1.50 for the last part in Q1

I'm guessing I f****d up.

Me too, I was hoping somebody else would say it first :p
    What's done is done, we can only look to the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 incubus15

What the hell was that paper??? Q6 & Q7 were impossibly hard

are you serious, those were probably the easiest questions on the paper.

Advertisement