Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2015 LC Maths Paper 1 - Ordinary Level - June 5th***

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

DT1 wrote: »
    Wait a minute now. Was filling it in really necessary? Seriously? You think 15 marks should be given for shading in the next pattern?? Is that even maths? I didn't shade it in as I thought that wouldn't have been necessary and a huge waste of time. For me, every mark on this exam goes a long way. So this is a big deal for me. No way 15 marks should be given for shading in boxes, that doesn't even happen in FL Junior Cert!

Fill in the boxes in the table in part (b)! Not shade in the 'TRIANGLES' on the shapes you've drawn...haha...now that would be rimming it.

Sorry....15 for completing the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sushua

jgirl18 wrote: »
    Ok how easy is it to fail maths paper 2. I actually despise probability. My mind does not function in that way. I don't care about it and never will.

I'm in the same boat as you - I literally just want to pass maths and that's it. I haven't studied it in about 2 years so I'm screwed lol especially paper 2. I'm just gonna attempt everything and hope I get by on attempt marks.. I don't think they like to fail people who at least tried every question

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jgirl18

sushua wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat as you - I literally just want to pass maths and that's it. I haven't studied it in about 2 years so I'm screwed lol especially paper 2. I'm just gonna attempt everything and hope I get by on attempt marks.. I don't think they like to fail people who at least tried every question

Oops sent that again. I know I actually studied abit over the past while but I actually cannot retain maths for some reason out of all my subjects. I don't know why. Anyway me too I'll hopefully get by on attempt marks. don't forget to throw in formulas even if you don't know howto do the rest of the question. Please God let them not decide to test some new stuff on us poor 2015 students.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭bredacq

Curious to know how do you all felt the OL Paper 2 went today? My son reckons it was a lot more reasonable than Paper 1.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

bredacq wrote: »
    Curious to know how do you all felt the OL Paper 2 went today? My son reckons it was a lot more reasonable than Paper 1.

That seems to be the popular opinion alright.

See the Paper 2 thread here.

• Advertisement

Nim wrote: »
    That seems to be the popular opinion alright.

See the Paper 2 thread here.

Thanks Nim, I'll take a look at that thread. Delighted for OL students now, hopefully it will all balance out and everyone will be happy in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Krasava

Would you get a marks for just attempting the questions, if so how much ? Coz I did really bad on paper 1 OL maths

Krasava wrote: »
    Would you get a marks for just attempting the questions, if so how much ? Coz I did really bad on paper 1 OL maths

If you attempted any questions you would get marks. Don't worry about it, the majority of the OL Leaving Cert students in,the country feel like they did badly in Paper 1 and it's been publicised so much that the markers will be instructed to mark it differently to past years. I've heard that they already had a meeting about it. They can't have a high fail rate because of just one paper. I spoke to a University lecturer yesterday and he said that they can't deprive thousands of students college places because of one exam and many college course require a C3 in OL or higher in some other courses. So he reckons allowances will be made in the marking process. Don't worry if you attempted Qs, you will get marks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭maude6868

I emailed the SEC about the paper and this is the reply I got

Your concerns will be brought to the attention of the Chief Examiner for the examination. Commentary and correspondence on the examination from teachers, professional bodies and other interested parties is considered by the Chief Examiner in developing the draft marking scheme.
    Prior to finalising the marking scheme, the draft marking scheme will be applied to a random sample of scripts so as to test the effectiveness of the examination paper and the scheme in setting and maintaining standards year on year. The outcomes of the random sampling will be analysed and if the outcomes indicate that the paper and/or the marking scheme is too hard or too easy the marking scheme will be adjusted to take account of this.

maude6868 wrote: »

Your concerns will be brought to the attention of the Chief Examiner for the examination. Commentary and correspondence on the examination from teachers, professional bodies and other interested parties is considered by the Chief Examiner in developing the draft marking scheme.
    Prior to finalising the marking scheme, the draft marking scheme will be applied to a random sample of scripts so as to test the effectiveness of the examination paper and the scheme in setting and maintaining standards year on year. The outcomes of the random sampling will be analysed and if the outcomes indicate that the paper and/or the marking scheme is too hard or too easy the marking scheme will be adjusted to take account of this.

It's good to get that in writing. I emailed the Minister for Education at minister@education.gov.ie and got an automated reply saying they'd get back to me but they still haven't. What email address did you use for the SEC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 KatieGhomie

Hi people apparently according to a friend of mine (who did her exam in another school)she heard on the radio that they're thinking making another paper one and make us resit it again,I really hope that doesn't happen no way in earth do I want to do paper one maths for the third freaking time,can't they just change the marking scheme especially personally I think paper one went better for me than paper two they can't force people to resit (people maybe going holidays,examiners,correctors) too much to sort,can't they just be nice for once and just lower the marking scheme so everyone will be happy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭maude6868

I emailed the Minister too but just got the automated reply. On the SEC site you can email them directly. This is the email link
    https://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=co&sc=cf

I emailed the Minister too but just got the automated reply. On the SEC site you can email them directly. The email link is down at the very bottom of the page.
    https://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=co&sc=cf

Thanks for that! There were lots of email addresses on their website and I wasn't sure which to use.
    Hi people apparently according to a friend of mine (who did her exam in another school)she heard on the radio that they're thinking making another paper one and make us resit it again,I really hope that doesn't happen no way in earth do I want to do paper one maths for the third freaking time,can't they just change the marking scheme especially personally I think paper one went better for me than paper two they can't force people to resit (people maybe going holidays,examiners,correctors) too much to sort,can't they just be nice for once and just lower the marking scheme so everyone will be happy :)

I really doubt that they will make students sit another paper, so don't worry about that.

By the way, most ITs and some University Departments always hold a "2nd chance" maths exam in August (after the results come out) for students who got the points but not the maths requirements that they needed for the course they have listed. So for anyone who is worried about not getting the Maths requirement that they need for their course choice take a look at the College websites for info on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 KatieGhomie

bredacq wrote: »
    I really doubt that they will make students sit another paper, so don't worry about that.

Thanks haa I really hope they don't :):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Hi people apparently according to a friend of mine (who did her exam in another school)she heard on the radio that they're thinking making another paper one and make us resit it again
    If she heard that on the radio, someone on the radio is talking through the bit they sit on!! ;)

This happens every year with every subject.

It will happen with OL maths too; all the more carefully because of the reaction from students and teachers.

Advertisement