Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Smart Hub update stuck

• 05-06-2015 4:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,494 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if there's much wrong here, but I've just set up a new Samsung Smart TV and when I try to download an app, it keeps saying "Smart Hub is being updated. Please try again later."

It's been like this for the past 2 hours now, should the update take this long or has something gone wrong? Dying to download a few of the video apps but I'm out of luck at the minute.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

I found it can take upto 30 minutes but 2 hours sounds excessive. It's a right royal PITA as it can happen as often as weekly and the set is unusable while it's at it. I would never recommend a Samsung Smart tv to anyone. Great picture but pants software:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,494 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I found it can take upto 30 minutes but 2 hours sounds excessive. It's a right royal PITA as it can happen as often as weekly and the set is unusable while it's at it. I would never recommend a Samsung Smart tv to anyone. Great picture but pants software:(

Got it sorted a while ago actually. Just reset the Smart Hub settings and it worked perfectly, could download apps with no problems. Still getting used to the software, never had a smart TV so it's a big change for me lol. Will have to keep an eye out for that weekly update, but I have other ways of accessing Netflix and the like without it so it won't bother me greatly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Seriously considering buying a Samsung smart TV, one with satellite as well as Saorview. Can you guys explain in more detail what the issue is with updating apps etc ? I just want to be able to use Rte player, TV3 player etc. Do you have to update these every week ? Also, if the TV is set to Ireland, does that mean that the satellite is FTA ( no 7 day EPG ) and not Freesat ? And one other question, does the TV have to be connected to a Sky box, to get full functionality on the TV, split screens, what's on next on other channels etc ?

The TV must be set to UK for full FreeSat EPG otherwise its just FTA with now/next. Irish channels will not be in order if set to UK but can be renumbered. Switching between Satellite and terrestrial can be a complex pain, ask for a demo in the shop first. The "Smart Hub" (equivalent to a PC desktop) and individual apps tend to update by themselves when they feel like it. There is a menu setting to have updates applied during the night but I've never got this working. Result is you select an app which suddenly declares it needs to update and then you spend ages looking at the update progress bar. They seem to come from a very slow server.
    IMHO
    For similar money you'd be better off getting a decent normal TV and a laptop which offers far more uses.

The TV must be set to UK for full FreeSat EPG otherwise its just FTA with now/next. Irish channels will not be in order if set to UK but can be renumbered. Switching between Satellite and terrestrial can be a complex pain, ask for a demo in the shop first. The "Smart Hub" (equivalent to a PC desktop) and individual apps tend to update by themselves when they feel like it. There is a menu setting to have updates applied during the night but I've never got this working. Result is you select an app which suddenly declares it needs to update and then you spend ages looking at the update progress bar. They seem to come from a very slow server.
    IMHO
    For similar money you'd be better off getting a decent normal TV and a laptop which offers far more uses.

Thanks for the reply, I just like the idea of having everything in the TV, therefore no need for boxes and the multitude of cables that go with them under the set. Is your Samsung an older model, I'm just wondering if the newer models would be better and quicker for updating apps etc ?

• Advertisement

Mine is an ES6300 series about 3 years old. No doubt newer sets are better which is why I suggest getting a demo in a shop even if buying online. The slow updating seems to be their end and not local web access. Over time less and less apps work as Samsung retire them. The web browsers are pants and don't handle flash or any complex Java. I honestly would never buy a Smart Tv again

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I have an ES7000 and it is set to UK. I also have a F5000 which does not have a sat connection. The ES7000 has a weak WiFi connection and is clumsy when switching from sat to aerial. Picture is brilliant. The F5000 is much better and has a better interface.

I would prefer the F version, but that is several generations old at this stage. The latest version might be much improved. Get a demo in the shop first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

galtee boy wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, I just like the idea of having everything in the TV, therefore no need for boxes and the multitude of cables that go with them under the set. Is your Samsung an older model, I'm just wondering if the newer models would be better and quicker for updating apps etc ?

I have a 48H6500 (2014 model) with dual sat and a saorview feed. I have it set to pick up freesat and saorview (via freeview mode as TV is set to UK to get freesat EPG but you can order these very easily). The app store is independant of the country selected for broadcast and is based off IP initially so gets Irish players (u can switch to UK via service menu if UK players are your bag but will need other tricks to view most anyway). The smart hub home bar initially rememebers channels and puts them in bar along the bottom for quick access so if u do it right you can have quick access to UK or Irish channels to flick very quickly between the two.

Thanks guys for the replies, sounds like the newer models might be ok. But will check out further before purchase. This is what makes the forums so valuable, genuine advice from fellow members who " have been there, done that etc ". Thanks again.

Advertisement