Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are we a loveable nation of people

• 05-06-2015 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

You often hear the Irish being loved around the world (and hated). I was wondering who has had any good and bad experiences when people found out you were Irish :)

For me being in Australia for a few years I often found people were particularly fond of the Irish, thought they were good workers etc. (Obviously there are haters everywhere in the world do.

Cheers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Have had countless drinks and shots bought for me when travelling just for saying I was Irish and even just for having the accent overheard

Alt J wrote: »
    You often hear the Irish being loved around the world (and hated). I was wondering who has had any good and bad experiences when people found out you were Irish :)

For me being in Australia for a few years I often found people were particularly fond of the Irish, thought they were good workers etc. (Obviously there are haters everywhere in the world do.

Cheers

No problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I think we have a reputation for being friendly and fun, but that it's on a cautiously superficial level, at least for those trying to integrate into Irish society.

Many foreign women I know that moved here found it hard work to be truly considered a 'friend' of an Irish woman. The initial greetings and chat flow easily, but people are wary of taking it further and extend/accept an invitation to meet up. I would put myself in that category.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Only once in London with a group of friends who worked in London for years, had married English women. You know how Irish football matches go, one of the wimmen got a bit stroppy and it brought out a nasty side of her making snide remarks about Irish people living in England.

Regarding America, some people treat you like you are a poor immigrant after coming over on coffin ships (you can tell the way they speak to you, not down to you, but with sympathy in their voice) and others can't get enough of the accent and knowing more about where in Ireland you are from and so on. You get the odd America for Americans rah rah rah person though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I managed to complete Tinder just by saying I was Irish...........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

We're a bunch of cheeky bastards. But that's why people love us. It's great being able to get away with being a bit of cnut :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

More lovable than some for sure.. but not as much as some others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I've worked abroad for five years now and Ireland definitely enjoys a good reputation for being a friendly and welcoming people. They also think we're all alcoholics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Yes, the reputation for abusing alcohol is well established, wether its warranted or not. Then again, anytime I go home the place to meet up is always the pub so go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Some Yoke

We are a navel gazing bunch people. We shouldn't worry about others opinions. We are what we are. I am guilty of wondering what other countries think too but a lot of visitors will answer politely when asked and others might base their judgements on little knowledge. For example one American tourist i spoke to thought the Irish were ignorant needed to educate themselves to have peace in the north. They are entitled to opinions but opinions are like assholes- everyone has one. I would feel the same about my own opinions of other countries

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

I tend to stay away from 'us' when I'm abroad or travelling

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

We're court jesters, America and Britain find us amusing. Dance paddy dance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Kalman

Alt J wrote: »

Cheers

People love us and why not? After all, we are a gay nation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Ah we can be loveable rogues.

The thing is, when we are on holidays abroad, we are happy, cheery, fun, scoundrels, who wouldn't love that?

But when were back home, we are depressed, angry, giving out the whole time.

Maybe we are bi-polar or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

The thing is, when we are on holidays abroad, we are happy, cheery, fun, scoundrels, who wouldn't love that?

But when were back home, we are depressed, angry, giving out the whole time.

Maybe we are by-polar or something.

Pretty much this. Away from home we are an optimistic fun bunch who see the positives in everything. At home we are depressed and sinking our sorrows while sheltering from the rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Last fall, an Irish transfer student and I came into incident contact in Clemson, SC. He was exceptionally drunk and had proceeded to begin urinating on the back section of a homecoming float an organization of mine had spent an entire week building day/night. Didn't love that :rolleyes:

Advertisement