Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer Forum Feedback Thread 2015

Comments

Why is Kess still a mod? He hasn't even logged into Boards for 9 months.

Surely his modship(?) could be taken up by someone else.

Modship?

Please tell me that's a word!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Modship?

Please tell me that's a word!

Why yes. Yes of course it is. Absolutely. Why wouldn't it be?

Ahem. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

God I make a great mod. I would rule with an iron fist. Iv seen the crap that goes on in the Liverpool thread (trolls and wums) by the time im done there wont be a liverpool thread lol

Headshot wrote: »
    God I make a great mod. I would rule with an iron fist. Iv seen the crap that goes on in the Liverpool thread (trolls and wums) by the time im done there wont be a liverpool thread lol

Have you had a shot to the head this evening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

In fairness, it's very rare you see that. Completely cringeworthy, but not exactly harming/insulting anyone.

Although, given 'Chelski' isn't allowed, maybe other silly nicknames should be treated the same.

Sometimes you just want to mess around with words.

Like saying Liverpuddle or going the whole Spurs -> Spuds -> Potatoes route.

It'd be well boring in here if we had to use only functional and descriptive language.

By and large the whole "spirit of the law" thing being used for that is pretty well done. Chelski and all that is usually punished, people just having an innocent mess usually isn't.
    Not beable to post in the superthread during your teams match. I have no interest in the game thread because its usually a cesspool of trolling.

But then you've nowhere else to post.

I've largely avoided match threads for the past 18 months (or whatever it is) because they're generally ****e, so maybe they've improved, but if they haven't, that's an area where the soccer forum is still a bit **** and could probably do with looking at.

How you'd go about it, other than having a legion of mods on duty for all matches and judicious use of the report button, I'm not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Why is Kess still a mod? He hasn't even logged into Boards for 9 months.

Surely his modship(?) could be taken up by someone else.

Indeed, and Frisbee has one post in the SF in the past nine months. Must be years since he's done any modding here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Do people really think match threads are that bad from last season. I thought it was all harmless. You are always going to get a few posts that annoy you but for me I find them easy to ignore. I probably have annoyed a few people with posts but the vast majority of people here are good lads who love their football.

Indeed, and Frisbee has one post in the SF in the past nine months. Must be years since he's done any modding here

Some mods don't mod at all and some mods mod the bejaysus out of the place. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Not beable to post in the superthread during your teams match. I have no interest in the game thread because its usually a cesspool of trolling.

Go post on a team-specific forum then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Can we stop "Watchers" watching?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

How I see this is that that's not enough of a reason to just post in the Superthread.

I don't see the Superthread as a 'protected zone' to go to if you can't interact with the rest of the forum who might disagree or criticise your team in a matchthread, often described as trolling.

As it is, a general rule for me is to issue a note where there is a matchthread (and for most EPL TV games, there will be for United/Liverpool/Chelsea/Arsenal) first to guide people back into the matchthread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

What exactly is the problem with a few people discussing a match in the superthread that don't want to read the pages of crap in a match thread?
    It's for 2 hours once a week sometimes twice, it's hardly going to ruin the threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

What exactly is the problem with a few people discussing a match in the superthread that don't want to read the pages of crap in a match thread?
    It's for 2 hours once a week sometimes twice, it's hardly going to ruin the threads.

I agree, ten pages of yesssss or hahaha after a goal is scored or someone makes an arse of something does not stimulate good discussion of a match. I find it almost impossible to engage on match threads at all. Match threads are the worst section of the SF and cause the most grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Non-discussion of match events = cards. That's the only way to clear it up. You come in to laugh and nothing else, into the book. If you want match threads to be about the match, and only the match, that's the only way I see of fixing it. But if match threads aren't to be about that, if they're to cover the match and the banter that some see as essential to it, they won't change. It can't be both. I know I won't be going into a match thread unless there's a minimum standard of behaviour expected and discussion is limited to the events on the pitch. But maybe that isn't what the majority want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I always feel that this is one of those arguments that don't pan out when you examine the "problem" in depth.

Yeah, there's a few posters who enter a thread to lol when a team they dislike concede, but for the most part, that's not "trolling"; it's simply part and parcel of football. There's highs and lows, and there'll be people who enjoy seeing their rival fans "suffer".

When there's clear cases of trolling, we'll always try and action them asap, but there's some who declare match threads as train wrecks before the threads even start, and seem to just not want to have to engage with other groups of fans at all.

As much as I detest the word "banter", there is a line between trolling and "banter", and everyone seems to set the line in different places. But if we start calling that line of discussion "trolling", 90% of the board will be purged. :P

I think the main point is it is harder for outsiders to join in a match discussion on another teams super thread. Some use super threads to avoid any criticism or objective comment from rival fans on the match. Really, as with the humour thread, some posters need to grow a thicker skin.

Superthreads discussing significant events like managerial decisions, form of a player, stuff like that, no problem. Posting in them to avoid a bit of ribbing from other fans, not to be encouraged.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

If people choose to act like kids, they'll do what kids do and eventually get bored and move on. Some of the moderation here, in my opinion, is borderline ridiculous.

Years ago I used to spend a bit of time on Munsterfans, was an excellent site for years but then the hand of soft moderation came along and the place went to hell (actually one of the mods was the greatest stirrer you could imagine). For Liverpool / Manchester United read Cork / Limerick base every thread nearly descended to that. Didn't really matter what was being discussed the conversation was turned to the training base / stadium yada yada ya.

It has got to a stage where pretty much all of the good contributors have gone and what was a place of excellent information and discussion is now just a few heads shouting at each other.

Nothing wrong with a bit of civility even if it has to be forced civility from the mods. I got one yellow last season after a bit of a rant on Barnes after the Matic incident. It was a fair call I was wrong to say what I did, well at least in the way I said it. Just about anything can be said in a non offensive manner and there is nowt wrong with mods pointing that out from time to time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

K-9 wrote: »
    I think the main point is it is harder for outsiders to join in a match discussion on another teams super thread. Some use super threads to avoid any criticism or objective comment from rival fans on the match. Really, as with the humour thread, some posters need to grow a thicker skin.

Superthreads discussing significant events like managerial decisions, form of a player, stuff like that, no problem. Posting in them to avoid a bit of ribbing from other fans, not to be encouraged.

I wouldnt agree. The match threads can descend into pages of people bickering etc trying to get one up on each other etc. There are obvious wum that add nothing to the threads but still chime in and skate a fine line within the rules.

Speaking from the Manchester Utd superthread perspective, we have regular Liverpool supporter visitors who contribute and join in the conversation and there is "banter" with them too which is all fine when they are contributing something to the thread as well. There are others that do pop their head in just to wind people up but mostly get ignored at this stage as it becomes clear who is serious about discussing football, be it light heartedly or seriously, and those who are just there purely to stir things.

No one is calling for match threads to be banned. They are just asking for the rules to be changed so that it is not a cardable offence to discuss a match on a superthread when the match is on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

How can people follow a game properly if they're posting and trolling other fans on the Internet all the way through. I've always wondered.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,405 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If you discuss a match freely on a superthread though, that will open the door for the posters people are trying to avoid in the match threads to post in the superthreads.

I don't see a problem with the odd comment on a superthread, say if there's a big incident or people nip in at half time to give their thoughts on the first half or whatever, but having a full blown conversation through out the entire match means you just end up with two threads discussing the same thing, and will lead to folks getting accused of trolling because they're not in "their" thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

anncoates wrote: »
    How can people follow a game properly if they're posting and trolling other fans on the Internet all the way through. I've always wondered.

It's not like soccer is end to end non stop action. It's pretty easy to sit on the couch on the phone and do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

The thing about match threads is that once there's "a decision" in a match, you can immediately tell which way any poster will be arguing, depending on whether or not they support Man United or Pool, even in a match that has nothing to do with either team - even the most tenuous of links will see the entrenchment kick in.

It's going to be funny next season watching the conflict as Rafa manages Ronaldo.

Match threads have been discussed loosely for a long time in superthreads and nothing has been made of it. No idea why someone brought it up. Why not leave as is.

Most people will go to the match thread. The trolls seem to stay in the superthreads as they get carded easier in the match threads.

I think the main point is it is harder for outsiders to join in a match discussion on another teams super thread.

Nobody is asking to get rid of match threads. They can still be the focal point of match discussion, I just find it unnecessary to shut down the discussion in the super thread for the duration of the game that the ball is in play whether it be to avoid trolling or just the general clusterf*ck that some threads can become.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

For me it's the principle of a mixed fan forum. That you mix and read a variety of opinions. Some even that you might not like.

It's not a big deal, but I thought I would explain my point of view where I issue notes.

dfx- wrote: »
    For me it's the principle of a mixed fan forum. That you mix and read a variety of opinions.

That's a nice way of putting it but it's not opinions that people are looking to avoid. Match threads can become a car crash pretty quickly and purposely, I'm not surprised some people would rather avoid them but still want to discuss the match elsewhere.

None of it affects me personally, I would only use United match threads before and after the game anyway, I would be too preoccupied with the game itself to bother, just find it strange that there is a zero tolerance of match discussion in the United thread in particular.

Also, for some reason preseason or youth/reserve team games seem to be fair game for superthread discussion and haven't destroyed the threads just yet and I reckon I've started more Man City match threads than any City fan because they usually only discuss their games in their superthread all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

The only issue I ever had with no matches in the Super thread was where the match didn't gain enough posts to justify a super thread. I can see why mods would want big games in their own thread, otherwise they turn into awful circle jerks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Nobody is asking to get rid of match threads. They can still be the focal point of match discussion, I just find it unnecessary to shut down the discussion in the super thread for the duration of the game that the ball is in play whether it be to avoid trolling or just the general clusterf*ck that some threads can become.

I think what people are missing is that there is no discussion in the match threads, they are too fast moving for that. Its page after page of one liners and by the time you post something that invites discussion the game has moved on and the incident you want to actually discuss is old news.

So if you want to discuss something, the best place is the Superthread, even if the game is still ongoing.

As an example, the Nani sending off a few years ago against Madrid. That was an incident that invited discussion, but it would have been pointless trying to debate or analyse it in the match thread because your points would just have been swallowed up by the ongoing litany of people commenting minute by minute play by play on what was happening in the game. Instead, the best place to comment upon or discuss the incident was the Superthread, where you could actually have a back and forth about the issue.

Never said anybody was looking to get rid of match threads!

More general stuff comes up in the big super threads, that's fine, but 2 discussions on the minutae of a match is a bit pointless.

We all know the usual trolls, there isn't that many of them. All the bigger clubs have to put up with some troll or another.

Anyway, the point is in a soccer board like ours we need to avoid diehard fans retreating to a safe haven because they can't take any criticism at all of their team. The trolls are just a convenient excuse so they can have their blinkered discussion on their own patch.

I'm just pointing one good readon for the rule existing, some don't seem to be able to see why the rule was introduced in the first place.

Everybody retreatibg to their home threads becomes the easy, same crowd thing to do, especially if your team is on a bad run and ripe for some slagging.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The game ends does it not? After the game ends the matchthreads offer a cross fan platform for game discussion if people want it. Plenty of people utilise that option also.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The game ends does it not? After the game ends the superthreads offer a cross fan platform for game discussion if people want it. Plenty of people utilise that option also.

But why wait? What harm is being done by discussing an incident that happened in a game, even if the game is still ongoing?

Something like a red card will get discussed anyway on the superthread in the following day or 2. Discussinga near miss or a great save is for a match thread.

A super thread can be a safe retreat for home fan boys to get digs at opposition players or the ref, and they wont get pulled up on it there. I don't think that is something we should be encouraging.

Never said anybody was looking to get rid of match threads!

More general stuff comes up in the big super threads, that's fine, but 2 discussions on the minutae of a match is a bit pointless.

We all know the usual trolls, there isn't that many of them. All the bigger clubs have to put up with some troll or another.

Anyway, the point is in a soccer board like ours we need to avoid diehard fans retreating to a safe haven because they can't take any criticism at all of their team. The trolls are just a convenient excuse so they can have their blinkered discussion on their own patch.

I'm just pointing one good readon for the rule existing, some don't seem to be able to see why the rule was introduced in the first place.

Everybody retreatibg to their home threads becomes the easy, same crowd thing to do, especially if your team is on a bad run and ripe for some slagging.

I disagree. I know of a few posters that would rather discuss games in the superthread and it has nothing to do with not being able to handle a bit of needling, they would just prefer discussion without having to filter out all the nonsense that goes with match threads.

A super thread can be a safe retreat for home fan boys to get digs at opposition players or the ref, and they wont get pulled up on it there. I don't think that is something we should be encouraging.

If they break rules on abuse of players or the ref in the superthread then that should be dealt with in the exact same fashion as at any other point in time.

Your post comes across as saying "They might say something I don't like so I want them here where I can see them".

This is nonsense.

In fact I would say you have a better chance of getting away with a dig at a rival player in a match thread than your own superthread.

I disagree. I know of a few posters that would rather discuss games in the superthread and it has nothing to do with not being able to handle a bit of needling, they would just prefer discussion without having to filter out all the nonsense that goes with match threads.

Again I never suggested otherwise.

That's the second time you infer things that are a bit extreme and nonsensical from my posts, it's a very poor way to discuss something.

Nobody suggested that good posters might prefer super threads or that anybody wants to get rid of match threads. It seems to me you like to take a point to an absurd level and debate that, a tad dishonest of a way to debate imo.

• Advertisement

Again I never suggested otherwise.

That's the second time you infer things that are a bit extreme and nonsensical from my posts, it's a very poor way to discuss something.

Nobody suggested that good posters might prefer super threads or that anybody wants to get rid of match threads. It seems to me you like to take a point to an absurd level and debate that, a tad dishonest of a way to debate imo.

Your first post

You made it sound like they would have no choice but to post in the super thread, the match thread would still be there.

Your second post
    The trolls are just a convenient excuse so they can have their blinkered discussion on their own patch.

I disagreed with that part and gave a reason why. What are you trying to prove here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Mickeroo wrote: »

I don't see a problem with the odd comment on a superthread, say if there's a big incident or people nip in at half time to give their thoughts on the first half or whatever

This is all what people want to be allowed do and it's exactly what was happening when the rule wasn't enforced.

This is why the rule is ridiculous and pointless.

Your first post

You made it sound like they would have no choice but to post in the super thread, the match thread would still be there.

Your second post

I disagreed with that part and gave a reason why. What are you trying to prove here?

I think dfx and mickeroo made my point for me as well. The point being its a soccer discussion board that welcomes all, with all that it entails. Match discussions on super threads goes against that and makes it harder to have an open discussion that welcomes all.

Match threads can be good fun and like with the humour thread some need to grow a thicker skin. It's easy enough to put the trolls on ignore or, you know, skim over their posts if what they post is a waste of time anyway.

Match discussions on super threads goes against that and makes it harder to have an open discussion that welcomes all.

And what of the point that the match threads are terrible for having an actual discussion due to their fast moving low content nature?

And anyway, how does some posters having a discussion in a superthread stop other posters attempting a discussion in a match thread?

I think dfx and mickeroo made my point for me as well. The point being its a soccer discussion board that welcomes all, with all that it entails. Match discussions on super threads goes against that and makes it harder to have an open discussion that welcomes all.

Match threads can be good fun and like with the humour thread some need to grow a thicker skin. It's easy enough to put the trolls on ignore or, you know, skim over their posts if what they post is a waste of time anyway.

That's all well and good but show me how I have been dishonest in my replies to you. I'd like you to take that back because it's bullsh*t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Actually thought of something else that's gotten very annoying. Whenever there's one or two posts in a thread that's not explicitly about United or Liverpool that pertain to those 2 teams there's always someone with a "oh a United-Liverpool discussion, great." Seems to me like backseat moderation that goes unpunished and sometimes derails good points being made. Most people on the forum will have more information/examples from those 2 teams in a general discussionso they're going to come up, if it gets too off-topic the mods will say it, there shouldn't be some snarky remark made about it by some self proclaimed neutral.

That's all well and good but show me how I have been dishonest in my replies to you. I'd like you to take that back because it's bullsh*t.

Its just a bugbear of mine, taking a point made and bringing it to an extreme. End up discussing sonething else all together. Doesn't usually matter much but on a feedback thread an annoyance as the initial point gets missed. Maybe that's just your style of making points, if that's the case, fair enough, apologies for coming over a bit strong.

I don't think you see anything wrong with in match discussions on super threads, I do and I think there are a couple of good reasons, contrary to what some were saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

dfx- wrote: »
    For me it's the principle of a mixed fan forum. That you mix and read a variety of opinions. Some even that you might not like.

It's not a big deal, but I thought I would explain my point of view where I issue notes.

Your spot on in that I like engaging with posters from other clubs however match threads often never foster any kind of discussion. For example as a United fan I might be a bit fluffed with the way we are lining up in a match with players appearing to play out of position. I make that point but it will inevitably get swallowed up but ridiculous one or two word posts which add zero to the conversation.

The same comment on the superthread more than likely fosters a somewhat intelligent conversation/debate. I think a slight relaxing on the rules in superthreads is needed.

Also its kind of strange that some posters seem to think they can post in a superthread about the game while a game is on. Anytime I have seen it in the United thread its usually swiftly followed by a MOD warning. Perhaps a bit of a consistency issue?

All in all I think the SF is in a better place than it has been in a long time, just match threads are not worth the bother until post match when sometimes there is actual debate on the game.

And what of the point that the match threads are terrible for having an actual discussion due to their fast moving low content nature?

And anyway, how does some posters having a discussion in a superthread stop other posters attempting a discussion in a match thread?

Anytime a match is on is usually a bad time to start an in depth discussion because well, the match is on. Some will make more general points or post a half time summary, that's allowed at the minute, so there is no issue there whatsoever, no point even mentioning that.

Again, the problem is some hiding behind a rock in their super threads, where a dissenting or opposition opinion is less likely to come in. Bringing up match threads is totally missing the point. That is exactly why these posters use super threads like this, others can sod of to match threads and I'll stay here in my little shell!

It's a bit like watching a match in the local, some banter and debate from opposition fans is part of the fun of it.

Its just a bugbear of mine, taking a point made and bringing it to an extreme. End up discussing sonething else all together. Doesn't usually matter much but on a feedback thread an annoyance as the initial point gets missed. Maybe that's just your style of making points, if that's the case, fair enough, apologies for coming over a bit strong.

I don't think you see anything wrong with in match discussions on super threads, I do and I think there are a couple of good reasons, contrary to what some were saying.

I didn't take anything to the extreme. You seem to be looking for something that's not there.

It's a bit like watching a match in the local, some banter and debate from opposition fans is part of the fun of it.

And some people would rather watch the match at home but nobody is knocking on their door and telling them to turn it off and get down to the pub.

Now that's extreme...

duffman13 wrote: »

Also its kind of strange that some posters seem to think they can post in a superthread about the game while a game is on. Anytime I have seen it in the United thread its usually swiftly followed by a MOD warning. Perhaps a bit of a consistency issue?

All in all I think the SF is in a better place than it has been in a long time, just match threads are not worth the bother until post match when sometimes there is actual debate on the game.

Its something that usually only matters in the larger supported match threads. Tbh I find on the pool thread that if people are clogging up the super thread, somebody will post a match thread link and that's the end of that, rarely requires mod intervention and is mostly self policing.

Anytime a match is on is usually a bad time to start an in depth discussion because well, the match is on. Some will make more general points or post a half time summary, that's allowed at the minute, so there is no issue there whatsoever, no point even mentioning that.
    Its not the time thats the problem, its the place. If I wanted to start a discussion about the Nani sending off, why not just start it in the best place to have that discussion, the United superthread, even if the match is still ongoing?
    Again, the problem is some hiding behind a rock in their super threads, where a dissenting or opposition opinion is less likely to come in. Bringing up match threads is totally missing the point. That is exactly why these posters use super threads like this, others can sod of to match threads and I'll stay here in my little shell!

I disagree completely, there is no problem there. If some posters want to stick to the superthreads then that is their right to do so, regardless of whether an individual thinks they should be out having the banter elsewhere.

There are people in a local who often just want to watch the match with their friends, who don't want to get into a slanging match with some random guy who thinks everybody should be listening to him. Whats wrong with that?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a poster choosing who he wants to converse with and where he wants to do it, who are you to tell him otherwise?

And some people would rather watch the match at home but nobody is knocking on their door and telling them to turn it off and get down to the pub.

Now that's extreme...

Yeah, but why post on boards while watching a match at home?

99 times out of 100 its to discuss something, add an opinion and add another dimension to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement